RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, before I start getting flamed about towing a 5th wheel with a 1/2 ton, please know that I am not talking big loads. I have a small 24' ultralight 5th wheel. Its tongue weight is very light, and the trailer is only 6000 lbs.

My real concern is for options in hitches. Right now, there are seems to be a specific exclusion for mounting on the ecoDiesel. There must be a problem with brackets? Maybe interference with emissions equipment ?

Notice the (6 Foot Bed without EcoDiesel engine)
2014 Ram 1500 Fifth Wheel Hitch | etrailer.com

I am seriously considering this 5th wheel hitch, if I can get a gooseneck ball installed. It comes in both the rail and goosneck version.
http://www.andersenhitches.com/Products/3225--ultimate-5th-wheel-connectiongooseneck-version.aspx

My truck is still in "production scheduled" status, but I am getting concerned about getting a hitch in it. I have been towing with a 1994 3/4 ton 6.5TD for 20 years. Its a poor excuse for a 3/4 ton, and is more like a heavy-half (6 hole lugs). That being said, this 3.0 ecoDiesel should way out-perform the 6.5TD.

Can anyone tell me by looking on (under) their truck, if there is some sort of obvious interference problem because of the ecoDiesel exhaust?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I strongly recommend you look at the weights of every option on this truck before you order. Visit Home | Dodge Body Builder's Guide for the actual payload of your truck (not the number in the sales brochure) and then subtract the weight of all the options that are not standard on the Ram of your choice. For example: wheel to wheel side steps subtract 64 pounds; bucket seats subtract 15 pounds; air suspension subtract 34 pounds. Look at the Motor Trend Truck of the Year article and you'll notice the truck they tested had a payload of 865 pounds! You can get an ED with 1100-1200 pound payload, but you have to be very careful about add ons. Don't forget the hitch you're looking at has a shipping weight of 216 pounds. If your 5th wheel follows the "rule of thumb" for pin weight at 10% of GVW then you'll also have 600 pounds pin weight so you'd have 816 pounds in the truck before you add the weight for driver and passengers. I'm not the weight police, but want you to be aware of the limitations of the Ram 1500. I also noticed the hitch you link to will not work with air suspension.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I strongly recommend you look at the weights of every option on this truck before you order. Visit Home | Dodge Body Builder's Guide for the actual payload of your truck (not the number in the sales brochure) and then subtract the weight of all the options that are not standard on the Ram of your choice. For example: wheel to wheel side steps subtract 64 pounds; bucket seats subtract 15 pounds; air suspension subtract 34 pounds. Look at the Motor Trend Truck of the Year article and you'll notice the truck they tested had a payload of 865 pounds! You can get an ED with 1100-1200 pound payload, but you have to be very careful about add ons. Don't forget the hitch you're looking at has a shipping weight of 216 pounds. If your 5th wheel follows the "rule of thumb" for pin weight at 10% of GVW then you'll also have 600 pounds pin weight so you'd have 816 pounds in the truck before you add the weight for driver and passengers. I'm not the weight police, but want you to be aware of the limitations of the Ram 1500. I also noticed the hitch you link to will not work with air suspension.
I didn't order the air suspension, so thats no issue. Also, the hitch I mentioned is 75 lbs, not 216 lbs. I realize that I might be pushing it. If it sags (I don't think it will), I'll throw some air bags on the back.

Thanks for the thoughts on payloads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It should be within the law. I use a Reese for my Ford Ranger. The Fifth wheeler state on license plate for 3800 kg = 8377 lbs. ( 500 kg = 1102 Lbs on the pin, the rest is towing. )
So, in you're case, what is you're payload + towing. Means about 1650 + 7716 = 9316 Lbs. You're Fifth wheeler are in that reach.
And you're Fifth wheeler has it,s own brake.

I living in Norway, and has drive over different mountains here in Norway, Switzerland, and Germany. ( Whit 150 HP )

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should be within the law. I use a Reese for my Ford Ranger. The Fifth wheeler state on license plate for 3800 kg = 8377 lbs. ( 500 kg = 1102 Lbs on the pin, the rest is towing. )
So, in you're case, what is you're payload + towing. Means about 1650 + 7716 = 9316 Lbs. You're Fifth wheeler are in that reach.
And you're Fifth wheeler has it,s own brake.

I living in Norway, and has drive over different mountains here in Norway, Switzerland, and Germany. ( Whit 150 HP )

Thanks for your input. My previous 6.5TD is only 190 HP, so this new ecoDiesel plus the 8 speed trans should be a great improvement.

What I really want to know is....... what is under the truck that is preventing hitch mfg from selling a hitch when the truck is running the ecoDiesel ?

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Interesting that none of the reviews for that hitch had it on a 2014 Ram 1500.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting that none of the reviews for that hitch had it on a 2014 Ram 1500.
That Andersen hitch is actually made right down the road from me. Its not really truck specific. The rail version is made to go on standard reese rails I think and the goosneck version....... well, goes over the gooseneck ball.

I have been watching these for a couple of years. They seem like a solid innovative product. They are lighter and stronger than your typical 5th wheel hitch. From what I see/hear, the gooseneck version actually rides better, so I may get the gooseneck ball installed just for that purpose.

The video is worth checking out.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
You need two hitches to get one.

Before you can use this "ultimate" triangle thing you first have to buy and install the hitch that bolts under the bed. Then the hole has to go into the bed for the ball to stick up. They don't even talk about that issue in the video. May as well just use a pin hitch and forget that whole top piece.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You need two hitches to get one.

Before you can use this "ultimate" triangle thing you first have to buy and install the hitch that bolts under the bed. Then the hole has to go into the bed for the ball to stick up. They don't even talk about that issue in the video. May as well just use a pin hitch and forget that whole top piece.
Yep, you are totally right. If I wanted the gooseneck hitch and a 5th wheel, its a good combo, but I really don't need the gooseneck. I am just trying to figure out what my options are because I am worried that there is something on the underside because of the ED that is preventing the regular 2014 1500 rails from being mounted.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If you have air suspension I am pretty sure that's in the way!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you have air suspension I am pretty sure that's in the way!
No air suspension. I got the Laramie, but the air suspension is pretty much the only feature I went without. Got 3.92's in the rear so I would have a bit more for towing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think it,s no problem with standard suspension or with air suspension. You can use clamps on the chassis . I have make some pictures from my car. Maybe it helps to solve your problem. IMG_1041.JPG IMG_1044.JPG IMG_1045.jpg IMG_1046.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
5th wheel brackets and rails - any solutions?

I am purchasing a Laramie CC Ecodiesel, 4x2, with 5.7 bed and Rambox option. All 5th wheel setups allow Rambox configuration, and short bed (I am using a Reese Sidewinder on an ultra lite 5th wheel) but so far no one is openly stating they have a rail/bracket kit for the ED option. Does anyone have information from a hitch HW supplier that it is possible to create, is in the plans to create and sell, or is the concensus that the ecodiesel cannot support 5th wheel due to obstructions around the frame brackets? I am not looking for the old debate of should this size truck pull a 5th wheel, I have done the homework and it will work fine...but if I cannot find a 5th wheel bracket/rail kit that works with this drivetrain I may need to move back to a pull trailer setup.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I am in the same situation - I need a 5th wheel brackets solution that will work on a Laramie CC short bed with Rambox. I have talked with DSP custom hitches in Canada and Reese tech support, so far no one has offered up a bracket solution for the ED on the new 1500 series. It seems each time I try to start a dialog on this topic with folks in the hitch business I get a serious run-around. So...my truck is being ordered, but for those already owning their ED Ram 1500, can someone look under the back end where the frame mounting normally takes place for 5th wheel bracket/rail kits reside and let us know what exactly is interfering and if a new bracket solution is feasible?

·
Registered
4 Posts
that means the chassis from the eco diesel are not the same like the Hemi or the 3.6 ?
A good local smith can make it in the right size.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The issue is tied to the DEF system located at the frame below the bed; there is an interference fit so the existing brackets solutions will not work with the ecodiesel. The real question to be answered - is it as simple as a new, unique bracket mount created for the ED or is there no possible means to attach 5th wheel brackets due to the obstructions.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
That Andersen hitch is actually made right down the road from me. Its not really truck specific. The rail version is made to go on standard reese rails I think and the goosneck version....... well, goes over the gooseneck ball.

I have been watching these for a couple of years. They seem like a solid innovative product. They are lighter and stronger than your typical 5th wheel hitch. From what I see/hear, the gooseneck version actually rides better, so I may get the gooseneck ball installed just for that purpose.

The video is worth checking out.

One thing it didn't show in the video, is that because it is a ball mount hitch, you still need safety chains.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts