RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DEF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Piped, B
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there towing 5th wheels with their Eco?

Just got this 94 Okanagan and blown away how much better a 5th wheel pulls compared to bumper pulls. Still have a bumper pull small ATV trailer and larger car hauler but will never go back to bumper pull RV after this.

Also attached temps after a long pull up long windy gravel road up the side of a mountain. We camp back in the boonies up here in Canada. What's everyone seeing for temps when towing?

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4 bone stock
46 Posts
I like the concept of a 5th wheel (geometry) and the maneuverability but most 5th and gooseneck scenarios are for trailers that are well beyond the capabilities of the Eco, but if you had a light version the reduced input from the trailer and the maneuverability might make it nice, i know i prefer pulling and parking a 5th over a BP, what is the dry weight on your RV????

·
Registered
2015 CC Laramie (3.92), DEF Delete, EGR Stage 2 Delete, Tuned, Timbren bump stops, Straight Piped, B
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dry weight is 5500lbs. Fully loaded definitely 6500-7000lbs. Pin weight is around 1000lbs. Water tank is in front of axle (30gal) and I put everything else heavy to the back.

Timbrens helped a lot. At highway speeds it's very comfortable, no safety concerns whatsoever. Pulls like a dream. Even the significant other would be willing to drive it she said😋

·
Registered
406 Posts
While not a camper owner, we towed gooseneck with our 2011 1500 gasser. Once we got airbags, E rated tires, she towed quite well. I constantly towed at max weight and sometimes beyond. The chassis is quite stout on the 1500's and it is night and day different going from a bumper pull.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't get bags but the timbrens seem to work good to. Also have E rated (10ply?) tires and truck feels very solid and secure. For an RV I can't imagine going back to a bumper pull now. With the 6' 4" box I still have room around hitch for chairs, cooler, etc. With plenty of room for hitch to pivot and not hit anything.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I pull a 7000 lb 25 foot fth wheel and still manage 17 mpg Canadian gal and I just picked up a slide in Travel Lite 2000 lbs dry camper added Air lift Bags and Timbrens stock tires at 45lbs all around and still got 21 mpg hand calculated. GDE Tuned love this truck.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is factory spec sheet. I'm guessing fully loaded I'm about 6500-7000lbs. Fresh water and 2 (30lb)propane bottles are up front. For sure 1500lb pin weight. Try to keep as much at back as possible but tows like a dream. About 2" of sag in rear with timbrens, adjustable 5100 bilstein on front set on 2nd from highest setting. So far so good.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts