RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be interested in hearing from any 2500 CTD owners with 5th wheel RV's.

Along with models, weights and specs, and other investigations on how you came up with your current RV.

Have you weighed your set up?

And any positive or negative comments would be appreciated.

Right now it looks like an RV 5th wheel in the 30 foot range would be adequate and and easy tow for the Cummins. The main criteria being the tongue weight.

TIA

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,083 Posts
you'll run out of truck long before you run out of engine, especially being a 2500 having an artificial 10K GVWR cap(classification reasons). Even the prior years with 3.21 gearing will drag an 16K 34' fiver up mountain grades, you'll know the Cummins is working.
Since you have the 6.4' bed you'll most likely need a slider hitch if you go with a fiver. Does you truck have the fiver prep package (puck mount hitch)?

·
Registered
2019 Ram 2500 mega cab. Silver, night edition.
137 Posts
I would be interested in hearing from any 2500 CTD owners with 5th wheel RV's.

Along with models, weights and specs, and other investigations on how you came up with your current RV.

Have you weighed your set up?

And any positive or negative comments would be appreciated.

Right now it looks like an RV 5th wheel in the 30 foot range would be adequate and and easy tow for the Cummins. The main criteria being the tongue weight.

TIA
What type of 5th wheel are you looking at? I really got screwed with payload. I am 2,000 lb payload.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you'll run out of truck long before you run out of engine, especially being a 2500 having an artificial 10K GVWR cap(classification reasons). Even the prior years with 3.21 gearing will drag an 16K 34' fiver up mountain grades, you'll know the Cummins is working.
Since you have the 6.4' bed you'll most likely need a slider hitch if you go with a fiver. Does you truck have the fiver prep package (puck mount hitch)?
I looked over the window sticker and did not see the Puck system as a listed part or an upgrade. What this "commercial" version of the Tradesman I have has is a row of buttons and a harness for hooking up snow plow electrics and lights, along with the electric brake controller and the larger side mirrors. I'll have to research slider hitch and Puck system, this is all new to me.

I would like a hitch that is easily removable for going to the dump for instance.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
I'll have to research slider hitch and Puck system, this is all new to me.
A slider hitch allows a fiver to clear the corner of the vehicle cab during tight maneuvers, usually needed with 6.4" beds.
With the Ram puck set up, you would have to drill several holes in the bed which a fiver hitch mounts and removes clean. There is removable covers provided with the kit.
You might want to look into the B&W Companion, it offers a slider version too. The Companion set up mounts to B&W Turnoverball Gooseneck hitch.
B&W hitches are highly recommend by many.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What type of 5th wheel are you looking at? I really got screwed with payload. I am 2,000 lb payload.
Being only my wife and I we don't need to be the biggest kid on the block. But I would think something in the 30 foot size would serve us well. So far the numbers I've run will be all good for towing with the 2500.

And used, even 10-15 years old. There are those "mom and pop" deals out there, hardly used, under cover for most of their lives. There is one somewhere with our name on it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Crash when you say artificial numbers what do you mean? I am in a tight spot right now because of payload reasons. I don’t meant to hijack sourdos thread. But with my current purchase I am over payload with the pin weight alone. Everything else works except payload.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Crash when you say artificial numbers what do you mean? I am in a tight spot right now because of payload reasons.
3/4 ton trucks GVWR stop at 10K for legal classifications, above that it moves up to the next class of truck. That in some states may mean you licensing and insurance will have to be different. As others who have found themselves your situation, you need to watch your GAWRs.

·
Registered
137 Posts
3/4 ton trucks GVWR stop at 10K for legal classifications, above that it moves up to the next class of truck. That in some states may mean you licensing and insurance will have to be different. As others who have found themselves your situation, you need to watch your GAWRs.
Crash, if this is true, why are Fords and GM classifying their 3/4 ton trucks north of 3,000 lbs payload. Don’t you think they would keep them
Under the classification as well?

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
Crash, if this is true, why are Fords and GM classifying their 3/4 ton trucks north of 3,000 lbs payload. Don’t you think they would keep them
Under the classification as well?
Take a good look at the vehicle configuration, drive train, and engine. A similar build will have similar payloads.
If you want 3K lbs in any of the diesel 2500s, you'll be looking at a regular cab 2WD truck. Or if you want 3K in a crew cab 4WD truck, drop the diesel option.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Take a good look at the vehicle configuration, drive train, and engine. A similar build will have similar payloads.
If you want 3K lbs in any of the diesel 2500s, you'll be looking at a regular cab 2WD truck. Or if you want 3K in a crew cab 4WD truck, drop the diesel option.
My next door neighbor has a 2020 Chevy Sierra crew cab AT4 HD diesel. His payload is 3,400. We just checked his sticker. I agree with you that something is off about The Ram payload. I just don’t agree with you on the classification theory.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
My next door neighbor has a 2020 Chevy Sierra crew cab AT4 HD diesel. His payload is 3,400. We just checked his sticker. I agree with you that something is off about The Ram payload. I just don’t agree with you on the classification theory.
I bet his GVWR is north of 10K which makes it a Class 3 truck(10001-14K lbs GVWR). This is where the extra payload is coming from, several of Chevy's 2500 have 11K GVWR.
Ram 2500 is a Class 2 which stops at 10K GVWR.
Some states require commercial plates and or insurance for Class 3 trucks, that can add considerable cost and even liabilities that Class 2 trucks are not subject to. Some states also allow you to under plate a vehicle(sometimes called Elected Gross Weight), but it also lowers the legal GVWR even though the door plate states higher.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I bet his GVWR is north of 10K which makes it a Class 3 truck(10001-14K lbs GVWR). This is where the extra payload is coming from, several of Chevy's 2500 have 11K GVWR.
Ram 2500 is a Class 2 which stops at 10K GVWR.
Some states require commercial plates and or insurance for Class 3 trucks, that can add considerable cost and even liabilities that Class 2 trucks are not subject to. Some states also allow you to under plate a vehicle(sometimes called Elected Gross Weight), but it also lowers the legal GVWR even though the door plate states higher.
Illl be honest I live in California. Even a half ton is considered commercial. I guess it comes down to how comfortable you are with overloading you’re truck. I’ve read in other forums. People will comment that with a 5th wheel it’s more important to stay under axle weight or gawr. Not sure how to calculate that. Or if it’s even true.

·
Super Moderator
5,083 Posts
People will comment that with a 5th wheel it’s more important to stay under axle weight or gawr. Not sure how to calculate that.
There really isn't a calculation for GAWRs, you'll find it on the door tag with the VIN, tire size and air pressure. If you add up both of them, it's usually higher than the GVWR(a typical Ram 2500 is about 12K if you add the GAWRs).
To find out the axle weight, take the truck to a CAT scale that weighs the front axle, rear axle and trailer separately. It's best to stay at or below the GAWR, but I wouldn't push it much over 10%. It doesn't matter whether your towing a fiver, towing a tag-along, or just hauling stuff in the bed.

·
Registered
137 Posts
There really isn't a calculation for GAWRs, you'll find it on the door tag with the VIN, tire size and air pressure. If you add up both of them, it's usually higher than the GVWR(a typical Ram 2500 is about 12K if you add the GAWRs).
To find out the axle weight, take the truck to a CAT scale that weighs the front axle, rear axle and trailer separately. It's best to stay at or below the GAWR, but I wouldn't push it much over 10%. It doesn't matter whether your towing a fiver, towing a tag-along, or just hauling stuff in the bed.
Thanks for the info. I try and keep in mind my safety as well as my families. Here is the stupid thing. I just looked at a 5th wheel trailer that weighs 9999 gvwr. With those numbers in mind The hitch weight is 2000 lbs. And would be over payload anyway. So what am I suppose to do? With those numbers. We should be towing 8000 lbs 5th wheels only? To be under pay load. I hope I am making sense.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Only difference between 2500 it has coil springs and same model SRW 3500 has leaf springs which has a 4000lbs bed capacity .. I’d really look closely at the 3500 numbers along good judgment install quality air bags and I wouldn’t over think it ...Again Both Trucks are Basically identical...This is a very opinionated topic on RV forums....

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My new 2021 CTD Tradesman payload sticker says 2,438 lbs.

After the fuel, DEF, my wife, dog and myself, leaves me 1751 lbs of cargo left, I think I'm good to go for a modestly sized 5th.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Only difference between 2500 it has coil springs and same model SRW 3500 has leaf springs which has a 4000lbs bed capacity .. I’d really look closely at the 3500 numbers along good judgment install quality air bags and I wouldn’t over think it ...Again Both Trucks are Basically identical...This is a very opinionated topic on RV forums....
Was it ram or GM, or both that recently started letting you choose and pay for whichever way you wanted your 2500 titled? They will let you title is as the higher or lower GVWR but then you have to pay the appropriate fee/registration. Other than that the trucks are the same.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts