RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I have no idea which manufacture has changed it’s policy, I go by the State regulations , In Florida the owners have that choice ....

·
Registered
2021 Ram 2500 Tradesman Crew Cab 6.7 L Turbo Cummins 3.73
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@sourdo did you get that 1751 lbs from an actual weighing of the truck?
No.

Using the sticker payload number on the drivers side door jam(2438 lbs), I subtract-

DEF, 5.7 gallons @ 9lbs/gallon = 51.3 lbs
Fuel, 31 gallons @ 7 lbs/gallon = 217 lbs
added together is 268.7 lbs

I am at 220 lbs
my wife is 175 lbs
the dog is 35 lbs
Total of "bodies" is 430 lbs.

This so far adds up to almost 700 lbs, minus the payload capacity leaves 1735 lbs of "unused" cargo carrying capacity.

As for the accuracy of the payload capacity data, I'll have to fill up the truck, and go across the scales to know for sure, but I think it's ok from my previous two trips to the dump pulling out light with empty cans.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Our last couple of 5th wheels were in the 18 - 20k range, we pulled them primarily with a volvo semi converted to pull 5th's wheels (volvo 610). The volvo could pull the 5th and bring 3 quads or a smart car on the deck, worked slick.

I also pulled those trailers with a Ram 2500 Mega cab, B&W Companion Slider for the hitch. Predominately pulling a Montana 3710fl which grossed around 18k depending upon setup. The 2500 did rather well with the limit being braking and chassis movement in big wind (ND / SD with 50 mph wind heading down the interstate as example).

In my opinion from an ease of towing perspective, that 2500 pulling 20k was more comfortable towing then an ecodiesel pulling a 10k enclosed trailer. It felt more in control and was easier to handle, didn't sway and didn't fight you like a bumper hitch on an eco does.

If we weren't taking the quads with we would typically use the 2500 to pull the 5th wheel, unless we were doing a big trip, like 4k+ miles or predominately in the mountains, then we'd use the semi as it ate miles like crazy and didn't blink at huge grades. If I was going to only own one it'd be another 2500 Mega.

To the Op's questions
  • Yes we weighed all the trailers
  • Yes pin weight is the measure that gets out of whack first

2500lbs pin is probably the happy limit, beyond that the 2500's get really tail heavy. The Montana was typically say 2200lbs depending on load, the toyhauler was over 4k lbs when empty, down to say 2500lbs when loaded.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts