RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up on my first oil change outside of any kind of warranty. I have ran either Rotella T6 or Delo 5w40 since my first oil change with good results, both showed good UOA.

I live in south texas, temps of 100 are much more the norm than anything less than 30. Have been thinking about swapping over to 15w40 T6 as some have reported better UOA on it than the 5w40 and it seems to be more available in 15w40 than the 5w40.

What are yalls thoughts.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
if you are out of warranty, it just doesn't matter much - you can literally go off the UOA data which is at least sound. I say try it. pull some samples.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
I think in southern Texas I would run the 15w40. My bigger concern would be keeping coolant temps down. From my experience seems to me lots of time with coolant temps above say 230 may result in a shortened engine life. (Both my engines & James killed by coolant issues.)

Honey comb grill, perhaps cooler thermostat. If GDE doesn’t stock it they can get you a part number to source it locally. Post warranty EGR cooler delete. Such as No Eco’s. Like to see one make 500k.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the tradesman grill so that is good for cooling. Vern, If I get the miles you got out of yours with head failure it will last me another 15 years. Also I do not put near the loaded miles on that you do, I put it through its paces from time to time, but its also a commuter as well.

Think I'm going to give the 15w40 a whirl.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Broke down had a 15w40 UOA posted a while ago, similar to 5w40. Don't remember mileage run on the 15w40 though.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
I'm up the trail from you @MAS i've been runnin' T6 rotella since the FCA changeover i've run up and down brush country across the Valley wide in those lovely areas where nothing grows while towing dead chevy's. Never noticed a temp difference this has been my experience.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have the tradesman grill so that is good for cooling. Vern, If I get the miles you got out of yours with head failure it will last me another 15 years. Also I do not put near the loaded miles on that you do, I put it through its paces from time to time, but its also a commuter as well.

Think I'm going to give the 15w40 a whirl.
Hi: MAS... OIL's fair in 5W & 15W whirl.
Dieseldragon North shore of Lake Erie.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Both are 40 viscosity. The 5w will have more oil modifiers than 15w to aid in cooler weather viscosity. Neither oil is better than the other on a hot day. The main difference is towards the end of the lifespan of the oil, it will shear down to 35 or 30. This all depends on the quality of oil you start with and if you change oil early, at the exact recommendations, or extended intervals.

I wonder if the gen 3 oil heat exchanger is larger and is a bolt swap part.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have run T6 5w40 for a while, but after the GDE tune the oil really seemed suspect when I would dump it.... looks like milkshake. (Despite a BlackStone test showing everything is good.)...

I just poured T6 15w40 in the truck and it is running great. I will do a BlackStone test when I dump it at 10k.

I decided to go with 15w40 because it certainly will shear less quickly than the 5w40.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
I would personally run the Amsoil Signature Series Max-Duty 5W-40 before I would run the T6 15W-40.

·
Super Moderator
3,718 Posts
Bio are you an Amsoil dealer? What does it cost? Would I have to add shipping?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I have run T6 5w40 for a while, but after the GDE tune the oil really seemed suspect when I would dump it.... looks like milkshake. (Despite a BlackStone test showing everything is good.)...

I just poured T6 15w40 in the truck and it is running great. I will do a BlackStone test when I dump it at 10k.

I decided to go with 15w40 because it certainly will shear less quickly than the 5w40.

I would investigate the "milkshake" appearance with another OA.
Mine has never looked like anything other than used, darkened oil after 10k kms and I'm also GDE tuned and have performed 23 oil changes on my truck.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Amsoil is definitely worth the extra money. Try it once and you are not using any other oil.
Im very curious about this comment. What perceivable difference did the amsoil bring to the table that its all you will ever use? Vern running T6 or similar for 400,000+ miles is good enough to tell me its likely throwing good money after something with little up side over what im already running. I just want to know what are the +'s that make you say once you run it you will never go back? Other than I use amsoil.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I hit my two local walmarts... no 5w40 or 15w40 synthetic diesel oils on the shelf at either. Ugh when is stuff going to be normal.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Bio are you an Amsoil dealer? What does it cost? Would I have to add shipping?
I'm not an Amsoil dealer. I order when they offer free shipping. It's $9.37 per quart if you're a preferred customer.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Way too expensive.... and won't make the engine last any longer.....

Yep, good oil but not worth the cost.
Amsoil could make the engine last longer. It really depends on your driving habits, oil temperatures, and oil change intervals. Just for comparison, you can see that it holds up better than other oils.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts