RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

11K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  biodiesel 
#1 · (Edited)
Speedometer Gauge Vehicle Measuring instrument Auto part

So Friday I changed her oil fuel & air filters and rotated tires. Saturday she got new best quality & Moog upper & lower control arms, ball joints, outer tie rods, end links and Bilstein shocks. Actually and oddly it looks as though I could have skipped all of it but the shocks. Then a new CSF radiator and lower temp thermostat. Monday with factory ECM & TCM she went in for her AEM. Before I left the dealership parking lot she had her ECM & TCM working efficiently again. ;) Unfortunately I’ve got brakes, transmission fluid & more to go yet and tomorrow is not looking good.

I should get a new pic of her and post it up. So you know what the ole girl looks like if you see her on the highways & biways Airstream in tow you’ll know. That a way you can make me buy you a coffee wave hi or flip me the number one sign as you go by. :D

BTW on the radiator I used their locator to find a local retailer for them who had them direct ship it to my door $105 plus $20 shipping. Dealerships want a lot more. https://csfimports.com/dodge-heavy-duty-cooling/
Automotive Aftermarket Catalog - MyCarParts

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks like your on the way to the million mile club , I’m very impressed with the ZF transmission installed in these EcoDiesels...Always looking forward to your high mileage post ..... BTW I believe this is basically light duty transmission, 600k pulling trailers for a living, I do not believe you could get a better transmission... One word description..WOW !!!!!

#8 ·
Looks like your on the way to the million mile club , I’m very impressed with the ZF transmission installed in these EcoDiesels...Always looking forward to your high mileage post ..... BTW I believe this is basically light duty transmission, 600k pulling trailers for a living, I do not believe you could get a better transmission... One word description..WOW !!!!!
He's knocking on the door of the Million Kilometers club :eek: ,,, 600,000 miles is 965606.4 Kilometers
another 21371 miles , and he can celebrate the million KM s .
any reason is a good reason to rejoyce ....

#9 ·
Vern you are the top mileage dog in all the forums. On top of that you may be the most respected!

Here's hoping you get to a million.

#10 · (Edited)
Doubt Ram / VM Motori is interested unless I have at least a million on both the truck and the motor. Odds have to be against that. Did have an online Youtube truck and new truck reviewer post me he would like to do a review and feature on my truck. I suppose ZF could be interested as I don't know of other applications such as trucks in other countries where this trans is used for constant towing. IMO this transmission with GDE tunes turbo brake and factory TBC is outstanding for towing.

According to Allpar there are differences between ZF assembled 8HP45 and the Chrysler assembled 845RE for our Rams. The clutches have more friction plates, a higher capacity oil pan (?) and that many parts do not interchange between the Chrysler 845RE version and the ZF 8HP45 version. IF as Mfgrs do ratings would rate this tuned motor at 465 TQ it still leaves a good margin between that and the if memory serves me 516 torque rating of our trans. Naturally changing out the fluid to remove wear materials helps to prolong the life and just some good old common sense in how you use it. Some gripe about the trans fluid change procedure but once you understand what they need done and have access to a lift and fluid mover its not a difficult or time consuming ordeal.

Yep the radiator started to leak, Discovered it on Thursday by Saturday night she had a new one in her. Yes IMO it looks reads to be a little better quality stock replacement for less money. Hopefully we see if this one lasts more than 300k, I like seeing the 192 degree unloaded temps instead of the 204 I saw pre thermostat change. Haven't tested with a load yet and doubt it actually costs any measurable fuel mileage efficiency. Thanks for the kind comments and support everyone. It shows we have a lot of great members & camaraderie around here.

#11 ·
Awesome!

Great to know that these trucks have the possibility of going that far. Even though you swapped the engine out it wasn't because of the infamous lower end failure. So it's possible that these engines might go that distance.

Good luck on your way to the big 1M . Even though your truck may be getting old , it almost like a challenge now to get there!

#13 ·
Congratulations that is a lot of windshield time...and thank you again for all the knowledge shared.

- How many total hours on the truck?
- How many reluctor rings of any?
- Average miles between transfer care fluid drains?

Agree on ZF and the newer trucks were upgraded from 8HP70 to 8HP75. These are also put in the Hemi Cars by Dodge/Chrysler. Hellcat 8HP90 and maybe newer 8HP95 don't remember exactly.

#14 ·
Vern:
Sorry I missed you on my journey West, but we are now on the return leg (so far 6700 miles this month) and hope we can get together when I get back to Dayton in a week or so. Have lots to talk about on our trip to Glacier NP, Yellowstone, Tetons, Cody, Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, Salt Lake, Santa Fe and now headed to Dallas. Truck has/is performing excellent except when above 6700 feet altitude but that's another discussion.

Congrats on the 600K and I hope it continues well.

#15 ·
A little over 11.000 hours total not with the truck right now to give a more accurate number.
zero reluctor rings
Ouch well I have only changed the transfer case fluid twice but I don't use the 4WD that often or long in duration. I may do it again when I do the transmission fluid. Not a 4WD guru is there things that spin in there all the time regardless of whether 4WD is in use. I think there is.

#21 ·
SO PERFECT...thank you for confirming my suspicions on the Ziggy wheels and transfer case. I will OWN my personal results yet appreciate your experience. Probably will do xfer case fluid transfer before 250,000 and may have a front wheel bearing going at 196,000 OTW truck has been exemplary and FAR exceeded my initial expectations. Close to being equal to my 7.3 turbo and 50k away exceeding my former Genesis.

#16 ·
Vern, how many miles on your first engine and how many miles on your second engine?

#19 ·
371,500 on the first engine is a good sign. I hope you can get 400,000 on your current engine.

#18 ·
Vern
Yes on things spinning. You're still coupling the rear drive train through the tc.

I'm guessing the rear is chain driven and front engages via a viscous clutch. I'm not familiar with Rams tc in the 1500, only with Jeeps.

That said, a refresh inside might not be out of the questions. If there is a chain in there they do stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
I hope to this time I know more about leaky EGR coolers and why & how to watch the degas tank level. Post warranty I will delete it.

Reactions: Bounty Hunter
#22 ·
You are running GDE, right?

Reactions: VernDiesel
#24 · (Edited)
Not concerned with AEM per my first post. This engine has a 24 month unlimited mileage warranty which is why I don’t miss oil & fuel filter changes & document. Lol I’m working on getting my monies worth out of that warranty. :p. Not that I hope or expect to use it.

#26 ·
Vern, did you get a new CP4 pump when you got the new engine? I'm trying to figure out how many miles you have on your CP4.

#27 ·
Good question, but I think I know the answer. Just don't know the mileage at the time...but I am very curious about this too. For high milers...I wonder if CP4 replacement should be a preventative maintenance item. My recent $4500 (just parts/supplies) expenditure would suggest yes...

Good going Vern...and I keep hoping to catch you on I-70 one of these days, I'm in Dayton frequently. I'm at 178K and you give me confidence in getting to at least 300K.

#28 ·
Vern is the "Top Dog" of all modern diesel 3.0 operators. His experiences are a very real tribute to the ZF transmission, even if it does not have a dipstick and reasonable fill level plug. Actually, the entire running gear sure gets a gold star based on his experiences.

Doing a full delete is the way to keep these things running long-term. Now, with the angst about GDE future operation, that could sure put a damper on others wanting to duplicate Verns' success in whole or part if there is no further support coming from them. Enjoy the Ecodiesel while you can and hope the present programming can carry over into any future engine changes that might come up 100's of thousands of miles down the road.

Keep the shiny side up.

#30 ·
New fuel pump injectors & turbo etc comes with new motor so I assume all warranted. Lol the dealership guys know me as I ordered the truck brand new from my BIL there and my cousin is the service manager.

Today I found out with the new thermostat that not only does my unloaded run at 192 instead of 204 that when I hooked a 30’ floor plan 6,800 pound Airstream that the thermostat goes full open sooner than the 228 fan on original stat did. It wasn’t hot and no hills but at 70 mph she mostly ran about 217. So unless you are taxing the cooling system more than a full open stat will handle it runs cooler. After full open would likely be the same but this gives you a running start so to speak and should buy you at least some more time before reaching derate. Perhaps the new radiator played a little part all I can say is that the fins on the old radiator were clean.

#31 ·
Wow! So your first CP4 lasted 371,500 miles and your current CP4 has gone 229,000 miles. That’s great!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.