RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Son has a 2014 2500 Cummins. There are 140,000 miles on the truck. He has it "beefed up" and sexed up but is his daily work truck. He pulls large trailers filled with job parts to build pool and porch enclosures for his company. Not sure how heavy they are but they look heavy and are quite large on maybe a 20 ft. trailer or longer.

Last Friday it stopped in the middle of the road. Transmission would not shift into gear. Then it did. Then it locked up. He had it towed to a transmission shop. Today the verdict.

Seems the filter came both loose and apart inside the transmission. Pieces are all through the transmission. It is coming out to see if it could be cleaned and fixed. $2,500 if it can. If not, $4,500 for a re-built one.

Historically they are a reliable transmission. The 2014's all had a shift mechanism change. later they made other changes and in 2019, to handle the increased torque of the new motor, way beefier clutches. No real pattern of failure for them as many do go hundreds of thousands of miles. Now for constant towing and heavy stuff many owners opt for the 3500 and get the Asian transmission. That one is not available in the 2500 and really not needed. It is expensive and a bit "clunky" in operation.

Thought some might be curious about the failure.

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,585 Posts
I'd say for him to bite the bullet and have the trans rebuilt. While it's being rebuilt have the shop beef up the internals. The shop will probably put a better warranty on the rebuild and he's less likely to have any problems anytime soon depending on what all the repair includes(or misses).

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kenyon has not called back. He told me they were going to get it out today, tear it apart and make the decision for him. He also tells me they are "good " people. The truck is in Sarasota, Fl. Close to here. Wife is going to visit there tomorrow to see her mom in nursing home and may stop to see him, if he is not working. He took his wife's truck to work today and probably tomorrow so he is not without transportation.

Will know when I know and probably not sooner. Do not think he will have much input in the decision.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Was the filter ever changed? I had serviced the fluid/filter in my old 545RFE, which apparently is exactly the same as the 68. The spin on filter uses a stupid plastic thread on attachment. You had to tighten the new filter on just enough... but not too tight...

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was the filter ever changed? I had serviced the fluid/filter in my old 545RFE, which apparently is exactly the same as the 68. The spin on filter uses a stupid plastic thread on attachment. You had to tighten the new filter on just enough... but not too tight...
Don
Don't know. Also don't know just how that filter arrangement works on the transmission. Kind of stupid as I thought it was inside the transmission requiring the dropping of the pan to access. Would have to see a diagram of just how it is set up. We need Kasimoto here with all his super drawings, pictures and videos.

He did have a transmission issue repaired by a dealer under warranty around 90K miles. That was for a general recall and failure of the shift mechanism. For his edition of the 68RFE that was a problem and corrected with different and updated linkage. No clue about the filter though I can ask, if he is sober enough tonight to answer.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
A cousin has a 2008 6.7 with the 68rfe. He had it rebuilt by a performance shop at 80,000 miles. The shop said the 68rfe had issues because the motor had enough power to tow loads in 6th gear that the transmission couldn’t withstand. Downshifting to 5th would supposedly fix the problem. He had his rebuilt or replaced with a much stronger set up 68rfe and deleted and tuned the truck at the same time. The shop that did the work told him to give it hell he’d never break the transmission again. It’s shy of 200k miles with no issues.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There have been a number of upgrades to the 68RFE since 2008. Linkage was changed around 2016 to correct a problem. Then for 2019 and the increased torque of the new Cummins hydraulic engine, a significant change again. Clutches and more were upgraded to handle the huge torque of this new engine.

When I read that last year I had an even greater interest in what I bought. Though they have been a reasonable transmission, now I read literally nothing about any issues with the newest upgrade. So far I have not towed heavy things even once. Even my current version is not heavy for this truck My towing rating is 19,200 lbs. There will never be anything in my future that huge to tow. Should be coasting at my heaviest and hope to find out in 2020.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Under the pan there is the traditional flat pan filter and next to it is a canister filter, which is pretty much an engine oil filter with no paint. There is a little plastic piece that has threads on both ends.

The filter screws on one end and then it threads into the transmission. It's not hard to change but that plastic is just not strong.

·
Registered
746 Posts
A cousin has a 2008 6.7 with the 68rfe. He had it rebuilt by a performance shop at 80,000 miles. The shop said the 68rfe had issues because the motor had enough power to tow loads in 6th gear that the transmission couldn’t withstand. Downshifting to 5th would supposedly fix the problem. He had his rebuilt or replaced with a much stronger set up 68rfe and deleted and tuned the truck at the same time. The shop that did the work told him to give it hell he’d never break the transmission again. It’s shy of 200k miles with no issues.
The earlier Allison's were the same way. They were totally reliable in stock form but throw a 250 hp over stock tune and it would slip going into OD and go into limp mode. It would still drive but the more it happened the quicker it would do it. I had a $5500 built trans put in mine to run the high hp tune. I never turned it down since the Allison is a learning trans so I pulled trailers, drag raced it, used as a daily driver. At 40k on the trans running that tune it was starting to slip so they're not totally bulletproof.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The earlier Allison's were the same way. They were totally reliable in stock form but throw a 250 hp over stock tune and it would slip going into OD and go into limp mode. It would still drive but the more it happened the quicker it would do it. I had a $5500 built trans put in mine to run the high hp tune. I never turned it down since the Allison is a learning trans so I pulled trailers, drag raced it, used as a daily driver. At 40k on the trans running that tune it was starting to slip so they're not totally bulletproof.

Boy I know that.

Had a 2001 Duramax with that Allison 1000. The darn thing not only slipped it threw codes that shut me down. Diagnosis was torque converter but not sure that was right. I was beyond the upset with that mess. After changing, at my expense 10 injectors that failed, that transmission failure ended my ownership. Only owned it 16 months, Was transporting trailers and have 150,000 miles on the thing in that short of a time but oh boy what a mess that thing was. Rode around with custom lemons attached to the sides.

That was my last GM vehicle as I got religion in 2003 and both a new 2004 Cummins. Been Dodge / Ram since then.

Reactions: BrianF

·
Registered
746 Posts
Boy I know that.

Had a 2001 Duramax with that Allison 1000. The darn thing not only slipped it threw codes that shut me down. Diagnosis was torque converter but not sure that was right. I was beyond the upset with that mess. After changing, at my expense 10 injectors that failed, that transmission failure ended my ownership. Only owned it 16 months, Was transporting trailers and have 150,000 miles on the thing in that short of a time but oh boy what a mess that thing was. Rode around with custom lemons attached to the sides.

That was my last GM vehicle as I got religion in 2003 and both a new 2004 Cummins. Been Dodge / Ram since then.
I was stock form mine was perfect. When I put a big tune in it I put a built one in. I'm the opposite of you, wish it was 1 and done on FCA but its 2. Both the ram and Pacifica are trouble

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well was chatting with he guy that owns the property next to mine. Want to say neighbor as he is but our houses are far apart as I live in an area where each has some acerage to their properties. Anyhow we were chatting about fishing yeserday and the conversation went to his new Chevrolet. Seems his truck is a PIA. V8 gas engine with fuel mileage under 15 on a good day. I told him the best I have seen in my new Cummins has been 19 mpg. Bummed compared to my Ecodiesel as I really did expect to do low 20's.

His comment to me was ..."You wanna trade"?

Friend in Pa. bough a new GMC pickup. * V8 engine he babies and again, poor fuel mileage. In two years he has had two different air conditioner compressors fail and one transmission replacement. Just read some horror stories about the new Ford Powerstroke and head movement with Ford fighting the owner to deny warranty.

Getting the impression nothing is overall good. It can be the "luck fo the draw" and my Ecodiesel was a lucky one with only - well now wait. I did have all that early DEF trouble, then did GDE, then hot transmission seemingly forever. Always hot towing. Replaced three-way valve and thermal control for transmission. Boiled that transmission. All TPM's failed and leaked out the tire air to flat. Forget it. Guess it was not as good as I remember but it did do spectacular on fuel mileage.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Well was chatting with he guy that owns the property next to mine. Want to say neighbor as he is but our houses are far apart as I live in an area where each has some acerage to their properties. Anyhow we were chatting about fishing yeserday and the conversation went to his new Chevrolet. Seems his truck is a PIA. V8 gas engine with fuel mileage under 15 on a good day. I told him the best I have seen in my new Cummins has been 19 mpg. Bummed compared to my Ecodiesel as I really did expect to do low 20's.

His comment to me was ..."You wanna trade"?

Friend in Pa. bough a new GMC pickup. * V8 engine he babies and again, poor fuel mileage. In two years he has had two different air conditioner compressors fail and one transmission replacement. Just read some horror stories about the new Ford Powerstroke and head movement with Ford fighting the owner to deny warranty.

Getting the impression nothing is overall good. It can be the "luck fo the draw" and my Ecodiesel was a lucky one with only - well now wait. I did have all that early DEF trouble, then did GDE, then hot transmission seemingly forever. Always hot towing. Replaced three-way valve and thermal control for transmission. Boiled that transmission. All TPM's failed and leaked out the tire air to flat. Forget it. Guess it was not as good as I remember but it did do spectacular on fuel mileage.
Ask them the gear ratios. Auto engineers think adding gears to the trans lets you run higher (lower number) gears and it just doesnt work. I had a 2010 sierra that had 3.08 when I bought it. At 100 mph it would hit 2000 rpm but had to drop to 5th to hold it. I put 4.11 in it and got the same mpg at highway speed even though rpm was way up. My boss bought a new gmc 1500 with the 10 speed and 420 hp 6.2 but it has the 3.21. His mpg is around 20 at 75 and drops when he goes over. I know your post was in reference to mine, every used gm I've ever bought even new ones have been less issue than the 2 new fca cars we bought. My dad bought 2 chrysler products in 89 and 90 and they were both pos too. I knew better but my wifes grandfather retired from chrysler so when she wanted a third row vehicle we bought the 17 ram and 18 Pacifica the same day. I knew better and now we pay.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can ask next time we chat. Bet he has no clue.

ALL of my vehicles, except one 1988 Ford F150, were GM. Had multiple pickups before that Ford and enjoyed them all. After that Ford debacle ( nightmare) I bought one of those Chevy 6.5 diesels and been diesel since. Think that was 1991. It was only natural to get the Duramax when it came out for 2001. That was another debacle. A Cummins, the Ecodiesel and now another Cummins have followed. First two were not completely reliable but went about 370,000 miles total between them. Both left me with good memories.

Hope this new Cummins can live up to them.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I’ve owned Honda, gmc, Chevy Dodge, ram, and ford kept at least one of each past 200k miles many Chevy and gm’s past that and had very little trouble out of any of them. Never lost an engine or transmission. Haven’t had a/c work done since my 1994 Chevy. Dang near every vehicle I’ve ever owned has needed a water pump and alternator at some point. Sometimes I just wonder what people do to their vehicles that they have so much trouble. But I guess some really do get lemons too.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What is crazy here is I cannot think of ever changing an alternator or a water pump. I mean like "never".

Kid called and said he bagged the parts cost from that transmission shop. They gave him a price and it "floored him" I do not know what that was but the shop said another source would be open Monday that should be cheaper. Will know more Monday but I will be running my Cummins to Georgia. Gonna play and work at the hunting camp for a week. Light towing expected for over a thousand miles as I still think my engine is not yet broken in. Might even get a short tow of my tractor there if the new injector pump I had re-built goes in and the darn thing actually starts. I have some brush areas to cut on my property and need to truck the tractor from where I keep it to the property.

Will see.

·
Registered
421 Posts
From the measily 2 analysis done on mine, the wear metals began to drop in the 48 -70,000km range. Still high but dropping. These things really do need a lot of miles on to loosen up.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I do not like about the oil is the obvious soot contamination from the EGR operation. Sure it is not as bad as the Ecodiesel was but it is there and showing.

Gotta get rid of that abortion some time in the future.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The oil side is not bad for soot, well not in my case anyway. Both tests came back around that 0.58% mark, again with lots of cold weather idling and short trips. Cummins specs 3% as a condemnation limit. The intake side does get dirty but apparently nothing close to what the ecodiesel can produce.

I have 2 more years and then my warranty is up. 5 year/160,000km. At that point will be the reckoning, any emissions repair required will likely spell a delete. Up here, everyone and their dog does deletes, even some of the dealers. I wont be looking at any real power increase as I would hate to burn out a transmission.

On that note, my one rancher/vet friend is around 330,000km on his deleted 2011 2500. He has now had at least one fluid/filter service on the 68RFE and even with a small power bump, lots of very heavy and probably over max towing, it has not missed a beat. Mind you the guy is not doing boosted 4wd launches.

·
Registered
13,681 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Final result with the boys 2014 2500 transmission. He had it totally rebuilt , torque converter and all. He says it runs super, shifts cleaner and seems to have more overall power with faster response.

$5000 for the job.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts