RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
It has a fuse.

The post in the 1 O'clock position is suppose to be a 12v hot. Some vehicles though it does not have power all the time, not sure about ours.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a fuse.

The post in the 1 O'clock position is suppose to be a 12v hot. Some vehicles though it does not have power all the time, not sure about ours.
Yes, 1 oclock is hot, on ours it is hot all the time.
I was wondering if / how the amperage was controlled.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Yes, 1 oclock is hot, on ours it is hot all the time.
I was wondering if / how the amperage was controlled.
Its not... just limited by the fuse. Voltage is controlled by the alternator's regulator so you will get a variation.

This is probably not the best way to charge your battery. You should look into an actual charger wired into the system that is relatively isolated from the truck battery.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not... just limited by the fuse. Voltage is controlled by the alternator's regulator so you will get a variation.

This is probably not the best way to charge your battery. You should look into an actual charger wired into the system that is relatively isolated from the truck battery.
It is there to charge RV batteries, so why is it not a good way to charge?

·
Super Moderator
716 Posts
Yes the 1 o'clock pin is hot even with the ignition off. Any particular reason to have that spare battery hooked up all the time? If you do keep it hooked up all the time, the battery with the lowest capacity will draw down the other until they equalize, not something I'd be willing to rely on. That power source is mainly there to keep the RV trailer charged while traveling if anything 12v is on in the trailer. If you have a cargo trailer with electric brakes it keeps that small battery charged if there's an unfortunate break away, to activate the electric brakes. Same for RV trailer.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your method works even if it's a little redneck. What is the battery used for?
Why would you say it is red neck? I'm using the system just the way that Ram intended it to be used. My main concern is that I may be charging at too high of an amp rate. But after checking it, it appears that it is charging between 1 amp and 5 amps.

FYI, the battery is used to run cooling fans, for my dog kennels, and also to recharge my electronics that I use in hunting.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I would prefer a little extra safety with some ignition off type relay switch. But for your needs adding an aftermarket in bed fifth wheel electric connector would be very useful.

I would hate to come back to the truck and have a drained main battery.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts