RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I went home on Tuesday the X had to work. Putting a lot of miles on the loaner jeep!
I have another 30K left on my warranty so I cannot see doing anything to the motor to invalidate the warranty. Unless there is a tone/device to disable the EGR that does not void the warranty. PLUS we should be seeing this new VB1 recall fix soon??
On my FCA case to get all my expenses paid for they did ask for the dealership information and did contact them. They reported back to me, yesterday, that the dealer should have it done today or tomorrow. The confirmed that the Intake and turbo were being replaced at no charge.

Reactions: Captainmal

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have another 30K left on my warranty so I cannot see doing anything to the motor to invalidate the warranty. Unless there is a tone/device to disable the EGR that does not void the warranty.
Do some research, there are companies that now offer hand held tuners that allow you to return the vehicle to stock before taking it to the dealer. or you can unplug the egr connector and deal with the constant CEL.
Ours has been tuned since the 1000 mile break in service and no issues.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Do some research, there are companies that now offer hand held tuners that allow you to return the vehicle to stock before taking it to the dealer. or you can unplug the egr connector and deal with the constant CEL.
Ours has been tuned since the 1000 mile break in service and no issues.
I looked around prior to my trip actually. I did not find anything the appealed to me. The place out of Michigan looks to have the best one but adding things like engine break etc. all add up to more than I wanted to spend. At this point glad I didn't do anything.

·
Registered
571 Posts
It would certainly push a person to the point of thinking of tuning or trading I would imagine. Broke down 700 miles away, at a motel with the x wife and no parts I mean. I felt the same about tuning actually didn't want to have to risk being denied warranty and fool around with tuners if something happened and risk deleting data (they required for warranty) stored on the ECU. As with anything a person has to weigh their options and make their own decision.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I tuned over two years ago, removed my EGR and leaking cooler at the same time. Have never skipped a beat nor showed a CEL since. Now at 220,000kms (2016). I'm a believer.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It would certainly push a person to the point of thinking of tuning or trading I would imagine. Broke down 700 miles away, at a motel with the x wife and no parts I mean. I felt the same about tuning actually didn't want to have to risk being denied warranty and fool around with tuners if something happened and risk deleting data (they required for warranty) stored on the ECU. As with anything a person has to weigh their options and make their own decision.
there is no warranty "data" stored on the ECM.
There is plenty of information out there about how tuning software and hand held tuners work, but generally speaking they are undetectable when unpaired from the vehicle.
The only reason I suggested applying a tune was to prevent a repeat failure from happening to the OP's vehicle in the future.

·
Registered
571 Posts
there is no warranty "data" stored on the ECM.
There is plenty of information out there about how tuning software and hand held tuners work, but generally speaking they are undetectable when unpaired from the vehicle.
The only reason I suggested applying a tune was to prevent a repeat failure from happening to the OP's vehicle in the future.
It records the flashes done to ECU, then if they see that get digging deeper I'm sure they can find parameters for any handheld tuner. Boost pressure being one, with EGR defeated there is more heat to feed the turbos. Oh I know I've done it all before with my 2013 F150 ecoboost and hypertech. Reset once after a misfire from moisture in the intercooler and brought it to the dealer. Nothing stored in ECU for them for DTC. You guys go ahead and tune with your own vehicles fly at it. I'm just never doing it again when I have warranty intact and expect to use that warranty at the dealer. Must feel like you need to go home and have a shower after resetting and expecting warranty work does it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Picked it up earlier today. Walked in, got keys and paperwork walked out <1 minutes.
Props out to American Inn. They not only were OK with my trailer being there for 9 days but they all kept an eye on it!

Page two references a PCM update? So they flashed it to a newer program?

Attachments

·
Registered
408 Posts
Picked it up earlier today. Walked in, got keys and paperwork walked out <1 minutes.
Props out to American Inn. They not only were OK with my trailer being there for 9 days but they all kept an eye on it!

Page two references a PCM update? So they flashed it to a newer program?
You are most likely updated to the AEM software now.. It will probably drive slightly different. Not sure how any of the things they fixed could have melted/cracked the intake.... Any hot air from the turbo goes through the CAC before going into the engine....

Most guys on this forum have tunes, and I have not heard of anyone being denied warranty. I've had several things fixed since getting tuned under warranty, prior to my warranty expiring. My dads ecodiesel has also had a number of things done after tuning, all completed under warranty. If you walk into the dealer and say" Hey I'm tuned, think that caused it?" you are much more likely to see it denied. But, like I said, in the year and a half I've been on this forum, I have yet to see a warranty denied because of a tune.

Glad you got your truck back, but I'd be worried there is still an issue. At least you have many new clean parts in there now.

Reactions: Ecosparky

·
Registered
805 Posts
So VB1 was not performed on the truck? Looks like they did phase 2 of the recall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
305 Posts
When there is smoke , there is fire , call me Nostradamus .... unfortunately .
Is this the engine almost all put back together , or barely started job on intake manifold removal??
After driving 8 hrs pulling my 7k trailer I was rerouted through Atlanta and at a stoplight I had white smoke bellowing around both wheels over the hood. I turned off engine and smoke cleared. I couldn’t find anything melted. The smoke did smell like burning wire or plastic. I started it back up drove another 4 hrs with no smoke and it hasn’t done it since. I now wonder if it was the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
497 Posts
To the OP..

Glad you have your truck back. It sucks to break down anywhere let 700 miles from home.

Regarding the other side conversation.

I am a data guy and I can absolutely tell you that if you are flashing or updating your ecu there is a hash there that is derived from the date and time of the last update to the ECU. That though is not enough evidence though to determine what changes have been made because there is nothing there in the ECU that stores the previous values. (From what I am aware of but I can tell you future versions absolutely do keep precious values)

It annoys me to no end when people make comments that it is difficult to detect GDE or any other tune though when in place. There is a simple hash that is derived from the deployed parameter write that is displayed as part of the version validation of the installed version. If you change any parameter, the hash is different. I can tell you that anytime the truck is connected to the FCA they most likely pull that hash. They would easily know the hash value of the GDE or othe builds.

As of today, it appears that they don't have a formulated plan on how to deal with it. Personally I think they didn't touch it because they know their support cost is less on the GDE tunes as they know the reality of the EGR and subsequent support costs. FCA would probably love to run programming like GDE but unfortunately it against the defined emission laws and standards.

Everytime your truck is hooked up at an FCA Dealer, they they pull all of the data. (Very simple tiny data today) They take this data and store it as they analyze it and utilize this data in the decisions they make. I know this first hand because all MFG's do it. The scary part is the data is growing in what they collect. Think of the sensors now in cars with safety systems and distronic type cruise control and lane guidance. Most have IR or Video data and that is a wealth of information for them to utilize. Right now they store a portion of it and it continuously overwrites. The trend though is to offer connected cars and they can take the data on demand. Your driving habits, vehicle performance data, climate data. First it was KB of available storage for this data in car, now you are seeing GB's of data stored. Soon with image and other sensors it will be TB

Your ability to tune anything will be gone in the very near future. I will put money on it.

Look at the farming community with Ag equipment.

My 2cents, take it for what it is worth.

(Rant off)

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
You are most likely updated to the AEM software now.. It will probably drive slightly different. Not sure how any of the things they fixed could have melted/cracked the intake.... Any hot air from the turbo goes through the CAC before going into the engine....

Most guys on this forum have tunes, and I have not heard of anyone being denied warranty. I've had several things fixed since getting tuned under warranty, prior to my warranty expiring. My dads ecodiesel has also had a number of things done after tuning, all completed under warranty. If you walk into the dealer and say" Hey I'm tuned, think that caused it?" you are much more likely to see it denied. But, like I said, in the year and a half I've been on this forum, I have yet to see a warranty denied because of a tune.

Glad you got your truck back, but I'd be worried there is still an issue. At least you have many new clean parts in there now.
I had the AEM done last fall. Included the flash, extended warranty and $3000 so whatever software they did was something new?
No issues on my 700 mile drive back.

·
Registered
13,518 Posts
I had the AEM done last fall. Included the flash, extended warranty and $3000 so whatever software they did was something new?
No issues on my 700 mile drive back.
Best thing you wrote was the ..."No issues..."

May that remain the case forever.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts