RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don’t know if anyone is interested in this but my 12in screen gets here tomorrow and will be swapping out I can take photos and write up a how to if someone likes. Like to mention I did not buy the infotainment setup way over priced. So I don’t have obdgenie or anything like that.

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
It will be interesting to see if you lose any functionality. In my experience the 12" system that I paid big bucks for as an option does not have the functionality of the 8.4" system I had in my 2014. There are posts around saying it has serious memory or other capacity limits that prevent it from having some of the features the 8.4 has. Two that I know of, one is significant for me which is no GPS based trip function which means you cannot get a GPS speed readout. The book shows you can but none actually do. ALso they do not communicate to MOPAR like the 8.4 apparently does. My 2014 didn't do that but my 2018 Pacifica does I understand the newer RAM 8.4s do.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m hoping when I program the bcm for the new screen I don’t lose any functionality we will see today lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
things needed:
Gateway key bypass
Obdlink
Alfaobd
8mm socket
And some common sense

you start off by removing the two top screws on your trim (pictures below) fingers are pointing at screws location, once The screws are off you then Give the assembly a good pull Grabbing the little pocked where the screws where and the whole thing comes out, i didn’t take photos of the removal as it’s very simple and straight forward. Then you unplug all the connectors and remove the old unit. Now you have to repin the hvac plug I have done a spread sheet that you can follow bellow, once you have completed that you reverse the process and put it all back together. at this point your ready for the programming portion, first you have to plug up the gateway key bypass which is located right behind your hood release forgot to take pic of it I will tomorrow and upload. Once the bypass is connected you plugin your obdlink to your obd port and open up alfaobd and follow the write up I did. Once that step is completed Unhook the sercurity bypass and plug it back up. Shut the truck off close door lock doors. Wait 5min open up and your done screen should be fully functional.

·
Banned
388 Posts
I went back and forth on the 8 inch bs 12 inch screen. Think that I didn’t like about the 12 inch screen was the hvac control knobs.
never felt comfortable operating the temp a tire and fan on a touch screen.
I like grabbing a know without looking for more then a split second

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I like the knob as well, but I do have to say the 12in is a nice setup gives the interior a nice touch and for me the multifunction capabilities is what does it for me, navi up top and radio on the bottom no more switching back and fourth is great. But I agree it’s more for the wow factor than anything the 8.4 does everything the 12 does

·
Banned
388 Posts
Good point. Great write up and good to know the switch isn’t very difficult.
what did that unit run you?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

That’s the security gateway that has to be bypassed I mistyped it’s location it’s not behind the hood release it’s behind the break release. You unplug those 2 plugs and plug them into your bypass

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Having had both the 8.4 and the 12 I would buy the 12 again as part of a new truck deal but I would not pay $2400 it upgrade an 8.4.

Reactions: Arvid

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Having had both the 8.4 and the 12 I would buy the 12 again as part of a new truck deal but I would not pay $2400 it upgrade an 8.4.
Yea now having the 12 and knowing the convenience of the split screen I would have deff got it as an option when I bought the truck but hey what can I say I rather upgrade myself lol and save money.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got everything for $2400
A few questions:

1: to this point being months after the install have you had any complications in the system?

2: how did you come to the 2400$ total? I found this part number for sale at under 500$ I just want to make sure I have everything.

3: before the swap the 8.4 did not come with NAV. Did you need any new wiring or harnesses to supply proper GPS function to the navigation ability?

·
Registered
33 Posts
A few questions:

1: to this point being months after the install have you had any complications in the system?

2: how did you come to the 2400$ total? I found this part number for sale at under 500$ I just want to make sure I have everything.

3: before the swap the 8.4 did not come with NAV. Did you need any new wiring or harnesses to supply proper GPS function to the navigation ability?
where did you find the 12in screen for $500? Post link please!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts