RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this may be just sheer coincidence but it seems awfully suspicious. I called on Tuesday afternoon to schedule to have the AEM performed on my 2016. Earliest time they could give me was was Thursday afternoon. Interestingly, I had tried to just bring it in and drop it off about 2 weeks earlier on a Monday morning and was told that it had to be scheduled. 1st available time was Wednesday morning. In both instances we're talking about 48 hours from from the date I want to get the AEM to when they can actually do it. Now, this is what seems strange to me. My radio does something that it has never done before, ever. When I turned off the truck and opened the driver door the radio kept playing. Opened and closed the driver door again, still playing. Opened the driver door and the rear door but radio still playing. Close the doors, lock the truck, and after about 30-45 seconds the radio cuts off. I figure it's a one time thing, no worries.

I get to work Wed morn and turn the truck off, same thing happens but as I was about to lock the truck and walk away I noticed that the radio is showing that an update is needed. It just so happens that both my son and a coworker have the same MY truck with the Hemi. I check the software revisions on both of their trucks radio and they are the same as mine. They have not received any messages. The message offered to do the update immediately or to schedule the update. I did neither.

Fast forward to Wed evening, less than 24 hours from the scheduled AEM. I crank the truck and the message display shows that my uConnect update MUST be completed within the next 24 hours. Now I'm starting to get suspicious over the strong-arming because I waited months before allowing the last uConnect update. What happened next has me 100% convinced that FCA is up to something. The message in the uConnect screen will not go away and I cannot use any functions via the touchscreen at all. I cant even make a phone call. I then notice the the EVIC shows that the radio is locked. The only thing that works is the backup camera.

Conspiracy theories?

Why is FCA sending a message the my uConnect needs an update?
Why the urgency to get it done BEFORE I take it in for the AEM? Why the strong-arm tatics to force me to allow it to happen? Are they trying to collect data to detect a Tune?

Has anyone else had this happen prior to having the AEM done?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same exact thing happened to my radio but a few days after the AEM recall. Its supposed to update tonight, so ill see tomorrow if this update messes up my radio like the last one did 2 years ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last uConnect update messed up my backup camera resolution. Before the update the camera was like HD. After the update it was more like 360p. So since your uConnect update was after the AEM maybe FC isn't trying to sniff out a tune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my AEM done a couple of months ago and still waiting for the butt holes to process my claim. However, I noticed the same thing with my radio today. I have never noticed it from happening before. When I got home i got the upgrade notice. I went ahead a let it upgrade the system. I still have no idea what it did. I sure hope it fixes what Dodge F'ed up when I got the AED.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Can anyone confirm if hemi or pentastar trucks with the 8.4 uconnect are also receiving this required OTR uconnect update or is it specific to Ecodiesel? I don't frequent other Ram forums but i'm sure others on here do and would know if the update is also being forced on trucks with the other powertrains.

·
Administrator
8,475 Posts
Can anyone confirm if hemi or pentastar trucks with the 8.4 uconnect are also receiving this required OTR uconnect update or is it specific to Ecodiesel? I don't frequent other Ram forums but i'm sure others on here do and would know if the update is also being forced on trucks with the other powertrains.
It's been talked about on other forums with hemi's.

·
Registered
261 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
I believe the update is across ALL Uconnect devices regardless of vehicle. If you call the Uconnect help line, there is an automated message that talks about the update, but doesn't specify any brand. my guess is they are rolling it out gradually in groups because the server, or network, or whatever other equipment they have can't handle every radio at once. groups of 1000 vehicles at a time for example. this would explain why they put a time limit on it "you must do it by X date" because they need to move on to the next group.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Funny I just noticed today for the first time that the radio stayed on after I shut it off and shut the door. Mine did shut off when I hit the lock button. I had the AEM done months ago though. Just noticed it today.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Just received an email this morning about a UConnect update. I think it was for my wife's '15 Grand Cherokee but have not received an email for the Eco. I haven't noticed the radio doing anything strange lately.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Funny I just noticed today for the first time that the radio stayed on after I shut it off and shut the door. Mine did shut off when I hit the lock button. I had the AEM done months ago though. Just noticed it today.
Update it did not shut off with locking the door. Stayed on for about 20 seconds or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Took about 6 schedulings and 3 days of no radio but update finally completed with no apparent issues...so far.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yup had same thing, it actually made my radio better. Touch screen more responsive, voice recognition improvement.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have an ecodiesel and so far have had no like experiences.

·
Registered
790 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
No AEM conspiracy theory. I still have not gotten around to getting the AEM because I really don't need the money, but I did get a notice about updating the radio. Haven't done that yet either.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts