RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I don't post on here a lot, but check in weekly. Thanks for all the info shared.

I had a 2016 Ecodiesel, Tradesman, Crew Cab, 4x4, 3.92 gears. I put over 93,000 miles on it in less than three years. I commute about 85 miles round-trip daily and haul kids to practices all over. I tow an 18 foot bass boat weekly in the summer. I also took several trips west from Ohio to Missouri and Nebraska. I loved my Ecodiesel--favorite vehicle I've ever owned. The only mods I did to it were to have the front grey bumper coated with black bedliner material (looked great in my opinion), and I bought some 20" black OEM Wheels and tires off ebay to replace the factory steel 17" wheels (also looked great in my opinion):cool:.

What I loved:
When I first bought it, I would get 26-28 mpg on long trips and 18-19 towing my boat.
I really liked the ride of the truck and the interior layout. It was very comfortable.
It towed my boat easily and handled it great.
The truck was perfect for my hunting and fishing pursuits, running kids around, and was pretty economical.

Problems:
The turbo started to whine. The dealer replaced it free of charge at 92,000 miles. Shout out to Bill Harris in Ashland Ohio who always did a great job handling my warranty work, and would typically give me a new Ram as a loaner.

Multiple computer updates and the larger tires/rims hurt fuel economy a little. In the end I was getting 22-24 highway.

After the emissions computer update, the initial throttle response was terrible and seemed to get worse. I don't know about dangerous, but the other day I pulled out into traffic and it did make me wonder if it was going to get going in time. My guess is that lawsuits will ensue regarding this issue. Who knows. I submitted paperwork for the settlement a long time ago and like I said, worked with the dealer to get the computer flash. Hopefully I see my $3075.

The damn window clips on the driver's side broke like 4 times during cold weather. It seemed like if there was any ice on the window at all, they would break. I've had numerous vehicles before the RAM and never had this issue. I tried to be very careful to clear all ice from the window before attempting to lower it, but sometimes I'd just forget and bam, broken.

The tradesman front gray bumper paint was total crap. The black plastic on top of the bumper would rub the paint off and caused surface rust, as would any rocks or other debris from the interstate. RAM replaced the bumper once after about a year, but the place that reinstalled the new one didn't fix the issue with the plastic contacting the bumper so I ended up with the issue again. RAM agreed to re-paint again and that's when I suggested the bedliner spray idea. It would cost $500 and RAM agreed to pay half.

In the end, while approaching the end of my factory warranty, I got scared of future issues and was really annoyed by the poor throttle response. I ended up trading for a new body-style Tradesman 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 5.7 Hemi. I ended up getting $18,500 for my trade, which I thought was pretty good for a Tradesman with 93K plus miles. I paid $31,500 for my new truck. I paid $1660 for an extended warranty that is bumper-to-bumper for 150,000 miles. I've had it for two days, so we'll see, but I really like this new one!

Thanks again for all those who've posted helpful tips on here. Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Actually good information in your post if readers' look. One thing that stood out to me was the fuel mileage for a 3:92 rear with no towing. Now if you had GDE that might even be 1-2 mpg more. Pretty good. Then you also would not have had to deal with computer updates, DEF and maybe even the turbo issue. The rest of the stuff you speak of is not related to the Ecodiesel engine but Ram related and may be of interest to others.

Anyway, glad you were pleased it gave you good, stock service. Your new Hemi will be a Hemi. Note the higher rpm, engine noise along with way lower fuel mileage. If you can learn to deal with those things may you enjoy your new ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts