RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A little help with Auto Dimming headlamps? SOLVED

When I turn the auto dim on and turn the brights on they do not come on. Pitch black east Texas country road. If I turn auto dim off the brights work manually but as soon as I turn the auto dim back on they go off. Any ideas?

SOLVED: behind the rear view mirror is the auto dimming sensor. Make sure nothing is blocking it like a toll tag, registration or inspection sticker.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Were you by chance at a stop light, cause I was messing with mine and I noticed as I approached the traffic lights the high beams shut off and there were no other cars on the road. I would assume the light from the stop light was enough to shut them off. Also in messing around town I noticed that pulling up to a house at night with the porch lights on also shut em down, as well as a car parked on the side of the road facing me head-on turned off my brights when my headlights were being reflected back at my truck thru there headlamps reflectors. Just a few thoughts. Hopefully it helps

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
It has been a while since I set mine up but I believe you have to go into the menu on the radio to put a check mark in a box to use the feature.

·
Registered
231 Posts
There are setting related to that auto function in the UConnect settings. See if the box is checked to activate them. On the 8.4 I push the UConnect icon on the screen and go to the settings.

Reactions: Steve Pittman

·
Registered
274 Posts
If the steering is activated in the Uconnect could also be the road. I've had light colored asphalt reflect up enough light that it kind of filled the sensor. If it doesn't it on all road then I do t know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The box is checked. I've unchecked it, checked it, unchecked it and so on. I've turned the fog lamps on, off, auto wipers on and off and driven on some of the darkest 2 lane country roads. They either don't work or work so poorly that they're useless.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The box is checked. I've unchecked it, checked it, unchecked it and so on. I've turned the fog lamps on, off, auto wipers on and off and driven on some of the darkest 2 lane country roads. They either don't work or work so poorly that they're useless.
I have had three cars with auto dimming headlights. I live in a State where yearly inspection is required. The mechanics slap the sticker in the center top of the windshield, which will prevent the auto dimming from working.

Happens every time unless I specifically tell them to put it on side or the other. Even then they forget.

Check that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have had three cars with auto dimming headlights. I live in a State where yearly inspection is required. The mechanics slap the sticker in the center top of the windshield, which will prevent the auto dimming from working.

Happens every time unless I specifically tell them to put it on side or the other. Even then they forget.

Check that.
My toll tag is in the top center of the windshield. Is that where the sensor is?

·
Registered
360 Posts
My toll tag is just to the right of the rear view mirror. It is next to the dark dots. My auto high beams have not worked either.

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
There's a round sensor for headlights on, right in the middle of my dash. No worry. I just use manual. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Check that.
Bingo! Solved. Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
940 Posts
This thread just saved me from the same issue. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hate to ask a stupid question, but im trying to figure out where exactly this sensor is. I have a sensor on the front side of the actual mirror and something that looks like a camera lens mounted in the front of the "box" up against the windshield that the mirror attaches to.
Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts