RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

What would you buy? If you were inclined to buy another half ton Diesel?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
If I were to trade now.... it wouldn’t be another diesel as that doesn’t really work for me anymore (given I only take short trips now).
The number 1 candidate for me would be a Chevy Trail boss with the 5.3 V8

·
Registered
390 Posts
Well the picked the RAM again, I would be tempted with the Chevy, no way with the Ford.
Most likely would end up with a RAM because of the pricing.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I’d buy the GM

that said don’t think I will buy another new one. I think I will ride out my ecodiesel and either go back to a 3/4 ton gas and a car or get a pre dpf Cummins and make it new/reliable again.

·
Registered
827 Posts
If I were to trade now.... it wouldn’t be another diesel as that doesn’t really work for me anymore (given I only take short trips now).
The number 1 candidate for me would be a Chevy Trail boss with the 5.3 V8
Man I talked to a guy at the post office yesterday with a trail boss and 5.3L. He was in love with his truck. Can't blame him - it was a nice rig.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Man I talked to a guy at the post office yesterday with a trail boss and 5.3L. He was in love with his truck. Can't blame him - it was a nice rig.
I expect I’ll keep my ED for at least the next 14 mos as long as I have the power train and AEM warranty intact. I’m gonna take a hard look at the Trail Boss then. We’re I to buy now, that would be the one....

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
Will follow the GM and want to drive one but would buy the Ram. I think it is a better truck, known transmission, 100k warranty, better value and would need longer term results on an aluminum block motor before I could consider buying one in a truck that I would work and want to tune etc.

Reactions: jsd43 and MR. TED

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
In general I'd probably be happy with the updated RAM to but im a sucker for an inline motor I like its more bottom ended performance and by all accounts I read responsiveness over the ecodiesel. Watched the TFL video where they did their mileage loop towing almost 7,000 lbs with the GM at 70 mph it just loped along in 10th gear at 1500 rpm. My tuned ecodiesel wont do that empty much less with 7,000 lbs behind it.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I don't think I will go back to another diesel... While I still love my truck, the thought of repair costs when they are out of warranty is scary...

·
Super Moderator
3,256 Posts
MAS fwiw the gen 3 ED has its torque rating at 100 rpms more than the GM.

Reactions: overlook637

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't vote because I would want to look and drive the others before making a decision, but not sure the diesel is needed for me as well.

P.S. I do love my RAM ECO!:cool:

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
MAS fwiw the gen 3 ED has its torque rating at 100 rpms more than the GM.
True. I would like to see what they did with the transmission ratios in the next version of the 8 speed too. While I’ve been very happy with mine it isn’t without shortcomings or room for improvement. The reverse gear and 2-3 ratios at least could be tinkered with.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts