RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

What would you buy? If you were inclined to buy another half ton Diesel?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,983 Posts
True. I would like to see what they did with the transmission ratios in the next version of the 8 speed too. While I’ve been very happy with mine it isn’t without shortcomings or room for improvement. The reverse gear and 2-3 ratios at least could be tinkered with.
The biggest change is with first and second. Eighth was made a little taller.

8HP70(2013-19)

8HP75 (2019+)

·
Registered
646 Posts
I would not say which one I'd buy until I had a chance to try the seats in the exact model that I was buying. My original reason for buying a ram was the seating options. The diesel was a fortunate accident that I discovered while looking at the comfort.

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
I like the updates they did to the trans and to the engine. With coming GDE compliant Ram tunes and upgrades made to the 5th gen I'm likely staying with an Eco. No short term plans but when tunes are available or if I have a more major issue since I am now out of warranty. Still also would be considering a HD with a Cummins. Its fuel economy IE profit margin vs extra capacity and greater longevity potential.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Diesel use to be the same price as regular. Not anymore. What’s the real advantage? I tuned my Dodge Ram Hemi and wish I still had it. Getting tired of thinking about what I can and can’t tow.

Let others be the test monkey on the Gen 3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
i think RAM has the best looks but I will personally not buy another Diesel with all the EPA restrictions now. I want to drive my 2014 Ecodiesel off a cliff now with the DEF tank issue I am having. Dealer wants $3200 to replace it and i have 200 miles until limp mode.

Gas will be my next truck this weekend as i now have to move fast. CT we still have emission test so i cannot tune it i believe. Otherwise i would delete it all and keep it for another 5 years. i have less thank 66000 miles on it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So now that we have the big three, all with 1/2 ton diesels, what would you purchase if you were going to purchase another small diesel?
My RAM ECD is probably the best truck I've ever owned, but all the troubles brought forth with this 'Italian Stallion" diesel has left a pretty sour note here and wiped out all the good things I love about the truck. For one, IF I ever do get out from under this thing, I'll never purchase another diesel of any brand...just too unreliable and too expensive. I'm also done with RAM. My next truck will most likely be a Silverado LT Trail Boss with the 5.3L gas engine.

·
Registered
482 Posts
i think RAM has the best looks but I will personally not buy another Diesel with all the EPA restrictions now. I want to drive my 2014 Ecodiesel off a cliff now with the DEF tank issue I am having. Dealer wants $3200 to replace it and i have 200 miles until limp mode.

Gas will be my next truck this weekend as i now have to move fast. CT we still have emission test so i cannot tune it i believe. Otherwise i would delete it all and keep it for another 5 years. i have less thank 66000 miles on it.
I think you'll find the EPA has screwed up the gasoline burning engine too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The ED was my last half ton. I now see the HD series as the only way to go forward with our towing requirements. When that's done and if lucky another decade or less, it will be an urban only need for transportation.Probably all electric.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I would wait at least 12 months for all three models to be street proven, tested, and tuning options. I voted for GM because I favor a inline 6. Driveway currently has Jeep YJ 4.0 inline 6 and BMW M4 twin turbo inline 6. The GM should be easier to access the engine, upgrade, mod, and repair. Whereas the RAM requires cab removal to access the turbo and maybe the new low pressure EGR.

But all that said; I don't tow much and make frequent short trips. So I would have to compare the pentastar with e-torque.

·
Super Moderator
3,047 Posts
HD Diesel, SKT, and other outside the US companies still provide tunes for a 2020 Classic with gen 2 ED. All the gumminent did with its legislation was push the sale of these products to outside the US companies.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I had to think on this matter a couple of days. Coming from a Chevy Silverado that gave me 7 years and 79,000 miles, and no drivetrain issues, I would for sure go check out the 3.0 L I-6 Chevy diesel before deciding. I am not a Ford fan.

But as we tow more than not, out of 33,7xx miles on my 2017 Tradesman Eco, 20k are towing, it makes sense being retired and RV,ing so much, to move up to a 2500 Cummins or even a Chevy Duramax.

The 1/2 ton Ecodiesel is a fine tow vehicle as was the Silverado for the smaller RV TT. But we were always pushing up against the total weight anyway, a 3/4 ton would mean bigger trailer, and much more room for all the other stuff. And most likely, while towing, the mileage wouldn't be much off from the 14.5 mpg I get with the Eco towing.

But it all comes down to what kind of deal I can get. But seeing as my truck is running great, and I have the Maxcare warranty, and I only owe $1050, I'll hang in there for the time being.

Were putting up our house for sale this spring, after 40 years it's time to leave Alaska. When this happens, when we get south I'll be on the hunt for a bigger truck. I have not ruled out the Gen 3 Ecodiesel, time will tell that tale.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I really badly want to order the wife a new suburban with the diesel. But that 150k mike service on that belt has me like really come on.
My kids are 11&9 and could see a rig like this getting us through high school with them and all the travel that will bring.

If I had to replace my truck tomorrow (or should I say if I could replace my truck tomorrow). I would get a 2500

·
Registered
593 Posts
HD Diesel, SKT, and other outside the US companies still provide tunes for a 2020 Classic with gen 2 ED. All the gumminent did with its legislation was push the sale of these products to outside the US companies.
I was at a dealership that just received two of the classics and they did not realize they could not be sold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 78 Posts