RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

What would you buy? If you were inclined to buy another half ton Diesel?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I really badly want to order the wife a new suburban with the diesel. But that 150k mike service on that belt has me like really come on.
My kids are 11&9 and could see a rig like this getting us through high school with them and all the travel that will bring.

If I had to replace my truck tomorrow (or should I say if I could replace my truck tomorrow). I would get a 2500
You can't get a diesel in a new Suburban from the factory anyway..

·
Registered
513 Posts
I drove the new Chevy, then drove a 2020 ED. Like the Ram better and am not keen on the Chevy oil pump belt and the $2k+ cost for the change required at n o more than 150000 miles.
At least this is a known planned maintenance item, I feel bad for the poor saps that pay $2k out of pocket for random reluctor wheel/crank sensor failure on the ED's.

I know my ED will be gone once it's factory warranty is up..

·
Registered
399 Posts
2,000$ for a belt change tells me that the GM designers did not consider costs, repairs, or mods. Absurd that this was allowed to be a design. Does this require 10 hours of labor and a 1000$ belt?

I researched this. Other forums say the oil pump belt requires the transmission to be slid back or removed.

If the high pressure fuel pump has issues you have to pull the engine or transmission. It's located on the back side of the engine.

0w20 is the recommend oil spec.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 4x4 with a 5.3 that we sold after 2 years that I bought new. I decided to sale it before we started having trouble with the values because of cylinder reduction or what ever it is call. I kept my 1995 Dodge 2500 4x4 with Cummins that got better fuel mileage than the GMC and towed my bass boat a lot better with less fuel. I bought a 1998 Z71/350 cu in. in great shape with 123,000 miles on it. It towed great but gas mileage was real bad 14 to 17 when we were not towing and towing was 10 mpg or less. We sold our 1995 Cummins and 1998 Z71 a few months back and place an order for a Ecodiesel. I've done a lot of research on the Ecodiesel and everything looks better than anything out there in a 1/2 ton. GMC 3.0 diesel is blowing head gaskets and just don't like a Ford. We got a 2017 Company F150 with the 5.0 and 6 speed, that we are having trouble with the transmission not wanting to shift right and radio/gps/phone locking up. We have to pull off the road and cut the truck off to reset the computer. My boss has a 2017 or 2018 Ecodiesel that he has not had any trouble out of it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
FCA put in a patent and was approved to build a in line 3 L gasser with twin turbos. Called gme t6 . They are boasting to make over 500 hp. The fifth generation motor eguipped also with electric engine booster. Could replace the hemi.? This may be my first and last diesel. I have a 2016 eco gde tuned since new. I Have had no problems. I thought waiting two years would have been enough time for FCA to work out the problems but was wrong. Maybe this is the answer? A inline gasserturbo like Ford. I still like the new ram look over the others TFL trucks has a segment on it

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Id probably be interested in FCA's take on an ecoboost, or the 3.0L gas turbo inline six^^^^ than any of the new diesels.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I voted GM and when time comes to replace the Eco, I'll heavily weigh the GMC versus Ram. The other option, as mentioned quite a few times, is to go to an HD. I'll be retired before needing to replace the Eco, so will have limited city driving by then. Her VW only has 142,000 miles on it, so it's barely broken in. Makes a better option for a city car anyway.

·
Registered
294 Posts
2,000$ for a belt change tells me that the GM designers did not consider costs, repairs, or mods. Absurd that this was allowed to be a design. Does this require 10 hours of labor and a 1000$ belt?

I researched this. Other forums say the oil pump belt requires the transmission to be slid back or removed.

If the high pressure fuel pump has issues you have to pull the engine or transmission. It's located on the back side of the engine.

0w20 is the recommend oil spec.

Service manager at dealer told me that tranny comes out to do the oil pump belt. Parts were less than 20% of cost, rest was labor based on the GM rate book hours. And as someone else mentioned they may have a head gasket issue. The only person I know locally that has one lost head gasket at about 10000 miles.

·
Registered
399 Posts
^ so more than 5hours to remove a transmission and 5 hours to install a transmission? A cheaper none-stealership mechanic would be about 1/2 that price, my guess. Maybe it would be DIY.

·
Registered
78 Posts
So now that we have the big three, all with 1/2 ton diesels, what would you purchase if you were going to purchase another small diesel?
I'm another "non of the above" candidate. My next truck will be 1980 or older, a classic that I will resto-mod with modern drivetrain. If I were to buy a new truck, I would wait for an electric version.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Am I gonna be the first to say cybertruck? I love my ecodiesel, and so long as I can keep it away from a dealer I’ll keep it, but that Tesla has really come around on me.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
RAM with Pentastar Engine , like Howie12's truck .
Are you serious? As active as you are with the Ecodiesel, and the investment you have put into it, I figured you would buy an Ecodiesel again. No?

Reactions: VernDiesel

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would want to Drive the GMC with the inline 6 diesel, but would probably buy another ecodiesel or possible 2500 with cummins for towing our Airstream. I have been very happy with my current truck, given me 50 k miles of trouble free driving. I am glad I went ahead purchased GDE hot tune, as my truck is pleasure to drive. We have pulled the Airstream 20 k and travel to Jasper Alberta last summer and had no problems towing during our trip.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Definitely gotta be the GM I-6. Only reason I have the Ecodiesel; they were the only 3L available at the time. Its been a great truck since I installed the SKT tunes but prior to the AEM and engine fire...not trustworthy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So now that we have the big three, all with 1/2 ton diesels, what would you purchase if you were going to purchase another small diesel?
I was given a loaner 5.7 Himi Ram 1500 while my Ecodiesel was in for repairs. I had the loaner for two days and put over 300 miles on it. The 5.7 averaged 19-20 mpg. My Ecodiesel averages about 21, not much difference. That being said I would have went with the Himi over the Ecodiesel.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Tuned by whom? I didn't think there were any options out there for 2020's?
There is a tuner (Sofa King Tune) that already has the transmission tune ready for the 2020 Ram gen. III Ecodiesel. He almost has the engine tune ready, too.

Reactions: Lucky Dog

·
Registered
46 Posts
I love my '15 limited, BUT, I really don't think i would buy another diesel vehicle. They're great and all, but if you consider all the additional costs. Expensive 10 quarts of synthetic oil, expensive fuel and oil filters, additional cost of fuel, extra cost just for the engine, it's not worth it. I love the 27mpg I get in the summer, but for the 5 or 6 times I need the four wheel drive. It's just not worth it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'm a lifelong GM guy that bought my first Ram in 2015. With GM's redesign I still have no intention of going back. Looks are not important but an ugly truck is an ugly truck. the EcoDiesel is what got me even interested in Ram in the first place, but once I started shopping and comparing I never looked back. Powerstroke and Duramax are still too new to tell, as is the 3G motor. However, learning what was changed on the 3G motor inclines me to think that Ram and VM were definitely paying attention to the various weak points/failures of the 2014-2019 engine.
Ram's new tailgate is the best design of the big 3 hands down. Having a Honda Ridgeline in the family, the two-way tailgate is the way to go for loading heavy objects. GM failed in their attempt (can't leave a hitch in, really?) and Ford's clunky folding handle and step is 10 years old and prevents you from using the tailgate as a work platform.
Ramboxes the best innovation, might get them next go around
I'll realistically stick with a Tradesman again in the future, unless a dealer makes me a deal on that 12" screen. The interior and controls are just laid out better in the Rams
Time will tell on the 3G motor. By that time I may be in the market for one. For now, mine isn't even broken in yet!

Reactions: MR. TED
41 - 60 of 83 Posts