RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on my way to pick up my registration and get a sticker at the dealer yesterday when water came gushing out of my A pillar by the handle to grab when getting it. Pointed it out to the service tech upon arrival and he immediately told me the truck wasn't leaving until it was fixed. I didn't think it was a big deal maybe thought he bolt in the handle was loose or something. He drove the truck off and told me he would be out to see me in a few mins. When he came back he said there is a pin hole in the gasket they tried to silicone it but it still leaks so now I am waiting on a gasket kit. Apparently they are rare as he called me today and said they are overnighting it from another dealer. Don't know if anyone else has ran into this issue? I honestly thought I'd have an issue with the motor before a simple gasket leak. Anyhow left the dealer in a rental and hope to have the truck back soon. The little I've got to drive the hing have been very enjoyable 175 miles and the needle just left full, can't wait to see the range in a full tank of fuel!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Do you have sunroof I had a ford that has tubes that run down from sunroof one in each side they would clog up and I would have water run from piller to my leg.

Hope you get it back soon all fixed keep us updated

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I don't have a moon roof, when I got to he dealer I poked around here to see if anyone else had this problem. A few have had the break light gasket either missing or leak, they have narrowed it down to the drivers door.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Someone else posted here a couple weeks ago with the same issue but coming from the passenger side handle. We all agreed the water couldn't run uphill over the headliner from the high-mounted brake light to the A-pillar without being noticed. Some suggested the sunroof seal leaking or a pinched drain tube.

It turned out to be a faulty door seal if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As DJ-Gregg said, I had the same issue. This is the second post I've read of others having the same issue, and they originally assumed it was a pinched drain line from the sunroof, but it was apparently just a "bad seal". The dealer I took it to wasn't real good with describing exactly what it was...but from my understanding it had to do with the seal around the door, was replaced, and it doesn't leak anymore. And it was passenger side.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I wasn't pleased to say the least, but the dealer I bought the truck at took care of it immediately. The toughest part was locating the new gasket that took 3 days but once they had the new gasket I had it the next day. Brought in to the dealer on a Monday and it was ready for pickup Friday. Rained a. Bunch today and it's dry as a bone so the fix worked.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I wasn't pleased to say the least, but the dealer I bought the truck at took care of it immediately. The toughest part was locating the new gasket that took 3 days but once they had the new gasket I had it the next day. Brought in to the dealer on a Monday and it was ready for pickup Friday. Rained a. Bunch today and it's dry as a bone so the fix worked.
Same issue here! This is the second time. I'm sure the dealer initially tried to fix it with silicone; but it's back again. I'm going to tell them about this thread, and have them put in a new gasket kit.

Thanks,

·
Registered
35 Posts
2016 Laramie here. Just picked up last Thurday. Drove it to the airport and it sat until this am. Got in and noticed water on the grab handle drivers side. First left hand turn and it poured out on my leg. Local dealership said we can get you in on December 17th.
Not happy either. Truck is being driven from Oregon to AZ on the 18th.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Someone else posted here a couple weeks ago with the same issue but coming from the passenger side handle. We all agreed the water couldn't run uphill over the headliner from the high-mounted brake light to the A-pillar without being noticed. Some suggested the sunroof seal leaking or a pinched drain tube.

It turned out to be a faulty door seal if I remember correctly.
If he had a sunroof I would say the drain tube. My girlfriend had to take mine in less then a week after I bought it. Turns out they didn't connect the drain tube on the assembly line............

·
Registered
35 Posts
If he had a sunroof I would say the drain tube. My girlfriend had to take mine in less then a week after I bought it. Turns out they didn't connect the drain tube on the assembly line............

Hmmm....maybe that is my issue.....or the door seal....or the windshield....

·
Registered
22 Posts
New to the forum here. My 6 week old 2016 just yesterday, leaking at both pillar handles. Never had water problems after washing, rain, snow melt, spraying it off. Yesterday after just sitting in driveway in the rain, go out and both passenger mats wet and lots of dripping from the screw caps on the pillar panel. At least it looks like there's some fixes, but dealer says the "leak test" guys are only there mondays. Guess we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What ended up being the fix for yours Bentleyblue? I've had my 2017 a few months now with no problems, but now it's leaking out of the driver's side grab handle, out of the top plug cover.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Backed out of my driveway and I got a wet leg from the leaking grab handle. Internet search says various issues: sunroof seal, sun roof drain tubes, for the 2500 clearance lights, and some say the door seal. Seams to be common for the Ram.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts