RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well since I couldn't get an EcoDiesel in the configuration I wanted, I broke down and bought my Ram in a Pentastar V6 with the 3.55:1, 1400lb payload, 7150 tow capacity and a 32 gallon tank. I've just finished burning up the first dealer tank of gas and I'm loving it.

The diesel really didn't make sense for me due to my 5 mile commute, it was a want more than a need.

Thanks to Captainmal for the color, Prairie Pearl was completely off my radar til I saw his. Looks awesome, and the premium brown interior is awesome too, much better in person. I could not find a single brown interior or Prairie Pearl on a lot so I took a gamble and ordered, love it.

The engine is plenty powerful enough, dare I say it's even quick enough to be fun, and I'm simply blown away by the fuel economy, I've averaged 20.8 MPG (US gallon) since it left the factory and that includes lot's of running around town on short trips and trying to follow the break in recommended driving. I expect this to get better as the miles pile up. For whatever reason whether I'm running around town or driving 70 MPH on the highway it burns the same amount of fuel. Ya I don't have a lead foot but I'm no grampa either.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Thanks for the write up, I'm trying to consider the Eco as well but my also short commute at times I think would just kill it not getting to temp often enough. I work maintenance for 9 restaurant and marina properties so I'm always doing short trips to the hardware store and such. I'll be following your mileage over the next few weeks. If I end up buying I'll probably go with the Pentastar, if I lease I'll probably go with the Diesel anyway and not mind the result of a short commute.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I have a Pentastar powered Jeep, and I’ll say that it is a fine motor. When it was coming to the Wranglers Jeepers were calling it the "Jesus motor".

Mine has a manual behind it, however I image it would be really nice with that 8-speed behind it. A lot of guys would never consider the Pentastar in a 1500. A Hemi sure would be awesome in anything, but fuel mileage suffers with the V8.

It would probably be sensible for me to get a 3.6/1500 too, however after owning a 5.9/2500; I guess I’m spoiled, so as of now 3.0/1500 is in my sights!

Neizel has been seeing better MPG than my Jeep, it yields me about 18 running around with 4.10s, I can flirt with 20 on the highway if I keep it under 65, running flat, wind at my back…etc.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
Test drove two Outdoorsman with that Pentastar engine. Thought they were great to ride and had plenty of power. Did notice a little less real pull that I thought I needed for towing. The V6 would have worked but I was a bit leery.

Fuel mileage shocked me during both those test rides. They really do run in the 20's and are a good option if empty and short-haul is your thing.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I will probably end up with the Pentastar too. I really want the diesel but I'm have a hard time justifying the $4500 upgrade for my driving needs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
We ordered two hemi's and my ecodiesel
Exact trucks we only Paid $1200 more for the eco
We got a deal since we bought three yes
No brainer for me the two driving hemi's are getting 14mpg and I'm getting 23-24 consistently sometimes 25-26

·
Registered
6 Posts
Guys, I have to say I had a 2011 Hemi and was the best truck i ever owned, until one sad day for a caddy wagon turned in front of me and decided to become a beach ball. You should of seen it, close call but at least nobody was killed.
So I had to stick to RAM (only logical choice!) so it was a NEW ECO DIESEL over 1100km to tank out of the gate average 120km/hr on stock 20" boots, and getting better that works out to 28.82 MPG. I combo drive it, a little highway, a little around town. Gotta say so far is the best thing Ive done this year so far. Cant wait to hook on to 24ft wedgenose hauler to see how that pulls. I will let you know! This will all change once it gets a lift and 35's, I know it will change but part of being good is looking good, Oh ya the lame chrome bumpers gotta go too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts