RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Virginia Beach and have this pricing and wondered whether it looks fair:

MSRP - $39,610

2014 Tradesman Ecodiesel, 3.92 rear axle ratio, trailer tow mirrors and brake group, popular equipment option, Trailer brake control, Parkview rear camera, anti-spin differential rear axle, UConnect 5.0 radio

TrueCar price - $34,053 + dealer processing fees charged here of $599.00 = $34,652

·
Registered
120 Posts
What the heck is a "dealer processing fee"? You only need to pay the price for the truck, tax, license, and doc fees. There is already a $1,195 delivery fee that is tacked onto the price of the truck, so let them have that. If it were me, I'd say no to the "processing fee".

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dealers don't get the delivery fee or any portion of it. Sounds like they are selling the truck for $599 over invoice. Not bad really. They have to make a profit to stay in business.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Join tread lightly or the USTRC and you can get 1% under invoice

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can you explain how being a tread lightly member works in negotiating?
I would worry my local dealer would say your a member of what? So.
Of course there isn't a whole lot of off-roading close to me, or it's not really well known.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Processing fees might include title, reg, and doc fees. At least mine did. You can't go wrong with the tradesman, even more so with those options. The Ram base truck is far ahead of base trucks of the past.

I'd jump on that price, especially after hearing about some dealers holding back on negotiation based on supply and demand. Keep in mind that price might include rebates or incentives you may not qualify for. True Car still gets close to factory whole sale price (which is about 8% off MSRP on average based on a few trucks I calculated). I used it and it worked out well (via USAA Car Buying Service). Its just a method dealers use to advertise and bring in customers that they normally might not see.

·
Registered
396 Posts
You should be able to get 3% under invoice then subtract any rebates /incentives then add tax and doc. Fee. I wouldn't pay more than 1.5% under. I started to get discouraged but stuck to it and found 2 dealer at 3% under.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Can you explain how being a tread lightly member works in negotiating?
I would worry my local dealer would say your a member of what? So.
Of course there isn't a whole lot of off-roading close to me, or it's not really well known.
It's an affiliate program, basically once you are a member you obtain a ref code and there is no haggling the price is what it is. Now that being said I have heard of people getting better than 1% below invoice but it's a nice way to deal if you are not a haggler. Also just be aware that Tread lightly requires you be a member for 6 months but an organization like the USTRC gives you the benefit immediately I believe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up only paying 289 of the 589 processing fee. All the dealers charge that here where I live. So, I now have my order in !!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, now my price was $34,352. Also found out that I am the first one in this area to place an order (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, and Chesapeake).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts