RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a new half-ton pickup for work and to haul the family around. My budget is $25,000 which doesn't give me a lot of options but I'm seeing that I can pick up a 2014-2016 1500 with anywhere from 90,000 to 130,000 miles for that price. How weary should I be? A lot seem to be one-owner vehicle with frequent servicing which is great, but that is still higher mileage. I know if it was a full-size diesel like a Cummins that 100k is nothing but what about with these engines? I need reliability more than anything as money is pretty tight at the moment.

Additionally, should I go for a tradesmen package over something a little fancier? I have a 2006 Grand Cherokee with all the trimmings and have been plaqued since day one with electrical problems so is simpler better or have you guys had good luck with the electronics and media controls?

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
If you like fancy things you wont like a tradesman. I have a tradesman and it came with aluminum wheels back up camera brake controller all power windows/locks and uconnect, i couldnt ask for more, but i like simple.

Go look at some sales, last years models still on lots etc. when you dont have to have premium trim etc. 25k can buy a whole lot of brand new truck with warranty.

·
Super Moderator
3,289 Posts
Jim 90k would be good as you could get 10k of powertrain warranty. I believe warranty goes from date of original purchase or registration to 5 years. So say a 2015 was registered in December of 15 or January of 16 you would have that 10k for 5 or 6 months respectively. The bad news of these is that you generally have to invest in an aftermarket tune to put the odds in your favor of having a reliable problem free truck. This is due to EPA emissions tuning and equipment. The good news is that GDE, SKT, & HD Diesel make great tunes for them. You can actually get a combination engine and trans tune for $1k. But codes & emissions woes are largely eliminated. Better mileage power & driveability including an engine brake for towing are other benefits that come with it. How many miles does it take for the 2 or 3 mpg fuel economy savings to pay for the tune. I don't know too many but often one or two service related calls saved would well pay for the tune.

Once emissions stuff is handled its generally a very reliable truck with incredible mileage. Its not a HD industrial type motor the Cummins is but neither is the work generally done with a half ton platform. There are a couple 2 & 300k motors around here already though mine being one of them.

Reactions: KRom

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jim 90k would be good as you could get 10k of powertrain warranty. I believe warranty goes from date of original purchase or registration to 5 years. So say a 2015 was registered in December of 15 or January of 16 you would have that 10k for 5 or 6 months respectively. The bad news of these is that you generally have to invest in an aftermarket tune to put the odds strongly in your favor of having a reliable problem free truck. This is due to EPA emissions tuning and equipment. The good news is that GDE, SKT, & HD Diesel make great tunes for them. You can actually get a combination engine and trans tune for $1k. But codes & emissions woes are largely eliminated. Better mileage power & driveability including an engine brake for towing are other benefits that come with it. How many miles does it take for the 2 or 3 mpg fuel economy savings to pay for the tune. I don't know too many but often one or two service related calls saved would well pay for the tune.

Once emissions stuff is handled its generally a very reliable truck with incredible mileage. Its not a HD industrial type motor the Cummins is but neither is the work generally done with a half ton platform. There are a couple 2 & 300k motors around here already though mine being one of them.

Thanks a ton! Great advice here. I will definitely invest in the tune. I had no idea you could add an engine break with a tune. I think this has confirmed for me that I should go this route and get myself into an ecodiesel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts