RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the truck to the dealer last week for front suspension warranty work and a few other items and now the truck acts like it has the AEM. I provided a written request to not perform the AEM.

The truck has long delays accelerating when cold and very little power until near WOT. When warm the delays are less, but the truck still holds power back for a few seconds then will accelerate. The delay seems throughout the throttle range.

The truck would spin the rear tires at takeoff even when loaded or with a trailer before this service visit. There were no delays on takeoff or when passing. The truck will not spin the rear tires now even in the rain on takeoff. There is a drastic change in performance.

Is there anyway I could verify if the truck was updated with the AEM using a scan tool?

Thanks for any response in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No mention of the AEM on the paperwork or under the hood.

I am thinking the tech saw this as an open recall and just did it. The service manger and service writer knew I didn't want the update so I assume there is no record of it if this was a mistake.

The truck was in for front suspension work (lower control arm, sway bar link, and bushing) and to have the wheel flares re-glued so there was no need to re-flash or update engine software.

I connected a scan tool to the OBD2 port and it shows 40 miles since codes cleared and 1 hour 48 minutes for total engine run time. This is how far I have driven the truck since I picked it up. If the dealer didn't update something these values would not have been reset.

Does the "Calibration ID" show any information on what SW is installed? The scan tool also shows this.

·
Administrator
8,195 Posts
What code was cleared? I would think the dealer couldn't get paid from FCA for the AEM without proper paperwork. I wonder what incentive the dealer would have to do the AEM?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
What code was cleared? I would think the dealer couldn't get paid from FCA for the AEM without proper paperwork. I wonder what incentive the dealer would have to do the AEM?
People have fought this before. Once FCA has a new flash, that is the one they use, my guess is the AEM is the new flash so if they needed to flash something, getting the AEM was the only option. Ive read and been told many times before about people getting an updated flash from the dealer they didn't want and the dealers response has always been nothing they can do about it.

·
Administrator
8,195 Posts
People have fought this before. Once FCA has a new flash, that is the one they use, my guess is the AEM is the new flash so if they needed to flash something, getting the AEM was the only option. Ive read and been told many times before about people getting an updated flash from the dealer they didn't want and the dealers response has always been nothing they can do about it.
I agree it happens often, but will be on the paperwork.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The service manager informed us the truck was flashed with the AEM even though I provided a written request not to update the truck. He explained the AEM shows up as an open recall and the technicians normally perform open recalls so it is easy to bypass the permission step.

The dealership must have noticed the “mistake” and did not update service paper work or the FCA configuration database as FCA shows the recall is not complete. In other words, the truck is updated and my VIN still shows the AEM update was not completed.

The service manager has opened a technical support case and all indications show the truck cannot be returned to the original tune flash. Technical support explained to the service manager that the AEM updated trucks now drive like the 2017-2019s. I haven’t driven the newer EcoDiesels, but I find it hard to believe they all have poor throttle response and shift frequently. I suspect if you never drove the early version the later versions may seem “normal”, but it would be interesting to hear from people that have driven both versions.

What a mess this is turning out to be and I can’t help but to partially blame FCA for issuing the update as a recall and allowing it to be installed so easily.

·
Registered
131 Posts
longisland516, "What a mess this is turning out to be and I can’t help but to partially blame FCA for issuing the update as a recall and allowing it to be installed so easily."

California and the US Government EPA lawsuit made it a Recall not FCA! I'm sure FCA would have liked to not have had the AEM at all, or pay out the $$ millions to!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still blame FCA. My EcoDiesel did not meet emission standards while some companies were able to do it following the rules (BMW comes to mind as one of them). The BMW diesels I have driven drive great without any emission cheating. My guess is the next EcoDiesel will also drive great and meet the emissions rules proving even FCA can do it correctly.

FCA should also make the V08 AEM recall require additional approval to be insalled. While the paper work process tries to accomplish that it is possible for the AEM update to be installed as part of a normal service visit as this dealer did in my case. The flash application on the PC the tech is using should require manager approval before the flash application will install the update on the truck.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I still blame FCA. My EcoDiesel did not meet emission standards while some companies were able to do it following the rules (BMW comes to mind as one of them). The BMW diesels I have driven drive great without any emission cheating. My guess is the next EcoDiesel will also drive great and meet the emissions rules proving even FCA can do it correctly.

FCA should also make the V08 AEM recall require additional approval to be insalled. While the paper work process tries to accomplish that it is possible for the AEM update to be installed as part of a normal service visit as this dealer did in my case. The flash application on the PC the tech is using should require manager approval before the flash application will install the update on the truck.
That's not what happened. The feds published a specific test criteria and RAM met the criteria. Therefore by any reasonable measure, they met the standard. But the feds can do whatever they want. They got their panties in a wad over emissions during events outside of the test protocol. And when the Feds decide you're wrong, what real recourse do you have? Ram got punked, we got punked, all consumers got punked. The only ones that won were the lawyers. $56million + expenses worth of win.

Well, GDE kinda wins too. Right place at the right time for them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts