RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 ecodiesel crew big horn

Early this week I went to remote start it and it fired up for a few seconds and stopped.

When I turned the key it fired up but with a CEL and the fore mentioned U0284.

I plugged in the ELM327 and reset the light but the next start up the CEL came back same codes

I pulled the grill and fired it up and see no movement of active grill shutters.

Anyone experience this and know of any potential solution?

Thank you

Red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
there's a you tube video to see all the components ,
maybe you could find what is not moving in the start-up calibration rituel ...

looking at your Avatar , not sure I would enjoy working on the truck outdoors ....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you fire it up the actuator only moves in one direction

Parts guy says you have to buy the whole active shutter assembly but I found it online as a separate part!

Thank you

Red

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
could the actuator be dirty , from video the unit seems easy to clog with dirt .
you say on startup it only moves in one direction , the little lever should go down once and back up
if it goes down on start up it must have went back up at some point prior to restart to start from there .
I found in last 25 years a few Chrysler wires , cars or trucks , easy to crack and break ,
maybe one wire going to actuator is cut .
please let us know what you find Red.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It’s filthy but I cleaned it up

Bolted it back on same deal

I ordered a used one off of eBay, we will see what happens once it arrives.

Appreciate your insights

Thank you

Red

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Please post back the results and any found fix.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kazimodo

Thank you again.

The fuse is good I have a strategy to test but can see why many become parts changers.

Pretty sure with the correct scan tool I would be able to cycle the actuator open and closed.

Any clue of the canbus is +/-5volts. Just curious as pretty sure I do not have the cajones to test with a multimeter!

Red

·
Registered
4,571 Posts
Pretty sure with the correct scan tool I would be able to cycle the actuator open and closed.
The AlfaOBD app should be able to cycle it, as it cycles most everything else with the motor and electronics.

Reactions: EZmac91

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With the Holiday I’ve been tied up but can report I have no more check engine light

Mysteriously shut off this afternoon all on its own

Still waiting for the used actuator to show up

By all rights it should still be on as the AGS shutter assembly is in my shop and the actuator is bolted to the core support

I’ll report back on a few days!

TY
Red

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
in post # 8 you said you cleaned the actuator ," it was filthy , " ...that probably did it ,
but it took a few cycles of running the truck for the computer to stop showing the
CEL on dash ....maybe that was it ... (((( or not , if I read right , the actuator you cleaned is not even installed on the truck ???))))
mysterious ...

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
in post # 8 you said you cleaned the actuator ," it was filthy , " ...that probably did it ,
but it took a few cycles of running the truck for the computer to stop showing the
CEL on dash ....maybe that was it ... (((( or not , if I read right , the actuator you cleaned is not even installed on the truck ???))))
mysterious ...
Actuator is on truck plugged in

Grill shutters not on truck

I installed both previously after cleaning but actuator only moved in one direction

Figured why install back when replacement was a couple of days away

Seems silly to throw any codes for AGS functionality

I’ll check the monitors tomorrow

Red

1 - 20 of 33 Posts