RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5,200 miles. Now I do remember adding oil to the Ecodiesel engine early-on. Think that went on until I had maybe 30,000 miles. Just don't remember so much at a time.

Anyone else have an oil consumption experience with the new hydraulic Cummins or even the previous motor?

·
Super Moderator
4,069 Posts
you have barely begun to break in that motor Capt.
Not to mention it holds 3 gallons of oil so 1 quart is about 8% of the capacity

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was kind of wondering if it was related to some form of "break-in". Did notice the oil seemed much darker than when I last checked it at 3,000 miles. Still, it was not like the ink I have seen from some diesels, like my Ecodiesel before i got GDE. Do know, though the Ecoiesel had a denial of any break-in procedure, the Cummins mentions that issue and talks of about 6,000 miles or so break - in for the motor.

Was not concerned much about the quantity it took as the level before adding was not down to the "add" mark. That tells me it is more than a quart before you hit that lower mark. All this is good to know for both myself and others. My idea is i will change oil/ filter and both of those fuel filters just past the 10,000 mile mark. Want to get fuel through the filters more so that if any metal got into the tank from my cutting of the filler it has a good change of getting into the filters and being caught. When I do the change I may dissect the back one to see what might be in it.

Topped off with that Kendall 5-30W stuff we used to use in the Ecodiesel. I had a few quarts left and figured that was fine. Think I also have at least two gallons of the T6 oil I did not use in the Ecodiesel so my first oil change will be with that.

Appreciate the thoughts. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Mine was full just before it went into storage. Approx 5500 miles. I would add a tough break in period as well, high speed and towing at altitude. It was dark bit could see the dipstick. ED was always black ink.

·
Super Moderator
734 Posts
On my old 2004.5, 5.9, in 11 1/2 years never once had to add any oil. Fill to the full mark check it 6 months later and still the same. I did notice around the 50K miles area, it was slowly getting better mileage, I'm not a hard driver.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just vewing this thread again. I suspect, as previously mentioned, your oil consumption will drop as you break the motor in.

I was mulling it over and looking at my engine and its fuel dilution. While I only have 2 analysis done, at the 48 and 72,000km mark. My fuel at 48 was approx. 2.7%. At 72 it was non trace amount.

What changed? Definitely my drive cycle became harsher. Went from 60 hour idle time per index to 100. Lots of cold weather short trips. Did not tow as much either. I think the engine is beginning to seal up better and getting less fuel and blow by past the rings. Although if I was testing TBN and TAN i could have a better look at that.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My 2010 6.7 always seemed to make oil. Was always higher when I drained it than when I filled it. The oil life monitor always told me to change the oil before the mileage stated in the book. I probably should have taken it in and had it looked at, but I only kept the truck for 30,000 miles. Quit towing 15k lbs monthly and sold the truck.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
My idea is i will change oil/ filter and both of those fuel filters just past the 10,000 mile mark. Want to get fuel through the filters more so that if any metal got into the tank from my cutting of the filler it has a good change of getting into the filters and being caught.
Not sure if they changed anything from the '18-'19's but the 18 fuel filters are a pain compared to the ecodiesel. The back one isn't bad but the front one sucks, they should have mounted it right next to the other one or somewhere other than in the engine compartment.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I second that on the front filter. Just a poor location. With the aisin the damn trans dipstick is also in the way. At least it has one....

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have not touched my filters yet but the from tone looks like the same location and type as my old Cummins. Never had an issue with it and expect the new Cumimins front filter to be the same. Now the back one is different in that this new Cummins has a cartridge like the Ecodiesel. The 2018's back had a total replacement fuel filter in back with the water sensor at the bottom. This new one looks simple like the Ecodiesel was except for access.

On both filters add a bit of hose to the drain to move the fuel away from things both front and back. Open, drain, close and remove/replace. I think it will be easy but have not done it yet.

As for the oil filter, buy a plug to screw into the top of the filter. Soon as you loosen it up, hold and screw that plug in the top. That way when you turn it sideways to get out behind the from tire, you do not have a mess. Pre-fill to maybe 3/4, plug in, back in position, remove plug and screw it on.

Will say this, expensive buggers they are. Looking at the three filters costing just over $!00 on Amazon. That plus oil every 15,000 miles to me is a lot of money. Believe there are cheaper filters that will work well. Just have not explored that yet. No good old Ecoguard for the Cummins I am aware of but of the three filters, the oil filter is by far the cheapest at around $10 bucks or so. Those two fuel filters are the "killers".

·
Registered
357 Posts
Fuel filters are pricey, plain and simple. Now the oil filters are another story. Look at the hastings LF608 and the Baldwin BT7349. bother are the same filter just different paint. Their specs are very close to the Fleetguard LF16035 but half the cost. Up here the regular price is around 13$ before tax. On sale they can be had for under 10. Solid filter construction, great specs and dirt cheap.

·
Registered
13,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Same story as the 13 to 18 rear filters, need to figure out who makes them and then source them cheaper under another name.
You find a quality, cheaper source for the fuel filters, put out a new thread on the topic.

That information sure would be appreciated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts