RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had this on my 04 Ram and was going to put it on the2015 Eco but never got around to it. Well it wasn't going to happen again and I got around to it today. So now all I have to do is open the cover and plug an extension cord into it. Looks cleaner than having the plug sticking out of the grill or having to leave the hood popped. I'll leave a link to the Amazon page at the bottom.

To pop the cover if you don't have tow hooks is a PITA but if you put it on stands or ramps (I used ramps) you can get to the top nuts. They use a 8mm socket so no worries trying to find that elusive 10mm socket lol. These are held in with a tee bolt and nut. The bottom are pegs and you have to force the cover back out the front of the bumper.

Tools you will need are a 1/4" drive socket set with a 8mm socket, box end 8mm wrench for the tee nuts, a long 3/8" extension (to help force the cover out), 1 3/4" (please double check this may be 1 7/8" getting old lol) hole saw and 3 #8 x 1" SS screws. The screws could be #6 however I went with the eights so they would help lock in the retainer nut on the back of the plug. There is an access panel in the lower front wheel house if you want to see better. You remove the three 8mm screws next to the fender and lossen the two bolts on the far inner side. it will slide off the bolts and can be removed. However you really don't need to if you have it on stands/ramps.

Our block heater cords are flat so I sacrificed my favorite 12' extension cord so I could have a round cord that goes into the back of the plug. There is a rubber plug that covers the wire terminations and makes it water tight. any questions just ask.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NV0V8C?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Car
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Car Grille
Camera lens Cylinder Lens Camera accessory Cameras & optics

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't put it in the front.... I stay parked outside all winter, and back in. So I installed mine like so many others at the back of the truck. The added benefit of this, is if/when I forget to unplug, it just unplugs as I drive away.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
51 Posts

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old Iron. I thought about that, but that would leave the front end facing south and into the prevailing wind. Would rather have the snow hitting the rear and not packing the front radiators. Since the cord is inside the garage and the truck sits outside the door will hold the cord and pull it out if I forget. Don't ask how I know 😂

1 - 10 of 10 Posts