RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some searching through the forum and on the web, and haven't really been able to find anything on adding Rain Sensing Wipers after the fact. Does anyone know what is involved in this? The dealer told me its a completely new windshield, but I want to see for myself. I have started down the parts path as well, and also found someone who did this on a challenger. So just putting it out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,169 Posts
You need the sensor, not sure if it's part of the windshield, rearview mirror, or what. Then the dealer has to flash the computer, likely the BCM, to activate the option. There's a strong chance the dealer tech can't see the rain sensor option at the dealer level, the option would have to be added to your VIN by the regional dealer rep before the dealer tech can activate it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most of these systems require a sensor that bounces infrared light off the inside of the windshield, if there is rain on the windshield less of that light bounces back which in turn initiates the wipers.

I believe these sensors are often behind the mirror, but I'm not sure about the ram.

I haven't taken a good look at my windshield yet so I can't say if this is the type or location of the sensor on the Ram, but if it is, there is a chance the windshield may have a different tint pattern behind the mirror where I believe the high beam camera is also placed.

If this is the case you may need a new windshield and rear view mirror mount housing... depending on the model, I'm also not sure if the wiring would be present....

Not a lot of help, but hope that gives you a few ideas where to start looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
606 Posts
You will definitely need a new windshield as part of the modification. There is a special section in the glass just for the sensor to work properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts