RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how to disassemble the center of the dash with the center console? My mistake when I ordered the truck, I thought the trailer brake controller was part of the Lonestar package, it wasn't. I have everything in the truck to support adding the controller including the wire harness under the dash, I just need to gain access to the buttons to remove the blank one and put the switch in for the controller. Looks like the center part of the dash slips behind the center console, not sure if I need to dig into the console or not.

·
Registered
104 Posts
It was an easy mistake......for some goofy reason the trailer brake controller is not available as a stand alone option on the lone star package. Only way to get it is to get the towing package.
I wanted a Bighorn but I'm buying from a dealer in Texas... Big horn package (28z) is not available in Texas...Lone Star (28y) is equivalent to the big horn in everyway except you can't get the brake controller without the towing package.

Unfortunately I can't help with installing the controller.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I bought a Laramie with trailer hitch but without the brake controller. I worked the dealer installed controller into the deal but it's 2 weeks and still no parts to make it happen.

I don't understand adding the trailer hitch but not the brake controller.

·
Registered
346 Posts
So, a trailer brake controller can be post factory installed by a dealer?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From what I understand it can be added and the dealer can flash the EVIC so it appears and adjustments can be made to it. It will show up on the equipment listing if you look up your vin number, the harness is under the dash to the left of the steering column. It will be wrapped in soft grey foam. You will need the switch, module and bracket for the install.

2013 2014 Dodge RAM Integrated Trailer Brake Controller Factory Module Mopar | eBay

·
Registered
281 Posts
I just installed mine but have not had it to the dealer yet. The console comes apart easy but mounting the controller module is a PITA! Very tight area. I was out of town when I installed mine so it is just hanging there until I have more patience (and my fingers shrink). There are very clear instructions that come with the controller that even say there is not much access to the back screw.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I ordered the part twice on-line and both times, it was backordered. Then I called around and was able to find one at a local dealer :) $215.00

·
Registered
211 Posts
No to hijack this thread but is there a dongle under the dash for adding an aftermarket brake controller if a factory version wasn't installed?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes mine had the harness under the dash. Two plugs...ordered the factory controller on eBay and had it installed at the dealer. You can install yourself but the dealer will have to program it into the truck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just called the dealer to get a price to install the brake module on my 2016 Big Horn. They said that the module is not available yet for the 2016. The 2015 has a different part number. Can the module be different between 2015 and 2016? The dealer said that the 2016 part numbers are blocked out but not yet available. I was counting on getting one installed for a new trailer I am buying. It is crazy that I have had the truck for 6 months and accessory parts are not available.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just called the dealer to get a price to install the brake module on my 2016 Big Horn. They said that the module is not available yet for the 2016. The 2015 has a different part number. Can the module be different between 2015 and 2016? The dealer said that the 2016 part numbers are blocked out but not yet available. I was counting on getting one installed for a new trailer I am buying. It is crazy that I have had the truck for 6 months and accessory parts are not available.

·
Administrator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
5,182 Posts
I just called the dealer to get a price to install the brake module on my 2016 Big Horn. They said that the module is not available yet for the 2016. The 2015 has a different part number. Can the module be different between 2015 and 2016?
Makes you wonder what part they are putting in the 2016 trucks built on the assembly line.
wonder if there is a packaging issue?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I can't help with the 2016, but I can say the 2015 with a center console is a b***ch to install. Dealer wanted $180 to install and marry the two. I said, "Hey I can install it. It's only a few screws right?" So he said it'd be $60 to marry it. So I took my dash a part and I installed the switch assembly, no problem. Then I went under the dash and that's when it all went wrong. I could not get to the holes to install the bolts on the mounting bracket. Couldn't do it with the center console in the way. Then I couldn't figure out how to get the console out of the way. So I thought, heck with it. I'll just zip strip the thing up, right? Well, I couldn't find the dang wires. So I call the shop and they tell me, that, ya,, the wires are inside the center console. That's when i said, ok, i got the switch installed. How much to finish? He quoted me a $120 and I gladly paid it..

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can't help with the 2016, but I can say the 2015 with a center console is a b***ch to install. Dealer wanted $180 to install and marry the two. I said, "Hey I can install it. It's only a few screws right?" So he said it'd be $60 to marry it. So I took my dash a part and I installed the switch assembly, no problem. Then I went under the dash and that's when it all went wrong. I could not get to the holes to install the bolts on the mounting bracket. Couldn't do it with the center console in the way. Then I couldn't figure out how to get the console out of the way. So I thought, heck with it. I'll just zip strip the thing up, right? Well, I couldn't find the dang wires. So I call the shop and they tell me, that, ya,, the wires are inside the center console. That's when i said, ok, i got the switch installed. How much to finish? He quoted me a $120 and I gladly paid it..
What Scotty said ^^. I installed that dam brake controller myself. WHAT A PAIN. I am a very capable weekend mechanic. I love doing this stuff, gives me supreme satisfaction, and I know the job was done right. WELL... don't do this job. Pay whatever the dealer wants, have them do it !!

Taking the center console out is stressful. Not complicated, just stressful, Especially on my brand-new truck. If you really want to, google it and watch the youtube videos. It was kinda nerve racking.

But, getting those dam screws in the mounting bracket is close to impossible. I ended up only using 2 of the 3 supplied screws because I could not get access to the 3rd screw. It is VERY tight inside that console. Now I worry about it rattling !

Alas, the factory brake controller operation is phenomenal ! I truly can't imagine a simpler, more eloquent implementation of the software. A key to getting it set up correctly is using the "+" and "-" buttons on the controller to set the gain properly. Other than that, amazing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I bought my 2016 just two months ago, it didn't have the integrated brake controller but I had them install it as part of the purchase price. Took it back to them two days later for them to install, they were done in a couple of hours so apparently the part is available for 2016 models.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Others have mentioned youtube videos, but this one is quite specific and easy to replicate.
Even though the model years are different, the install steps and parts are the same for 14-16 3D. He has some good pointers about pre-threading the mounting plate holes, and black tape wrapping the 3rd hole because it is a P.I.T.A to install. I installed my controller in 60 minutes after watching this and then spent 30 minutes at the dealer to update the sales code. Bought the controller here http://amzn.com/B00BSW3GHS and a set of these for the center body panel removal - piece of cake. http://amzn.com/B00SDFIWGS
Dealer wanted $240 for the controller and 2.5 hours to install it. I bought this with part of the $225 savings :cool: http://amzn.com/B01CS5V13E

·
Registered
121 Posts
I added my brake controller to my 2016. Go look in the towing section. I posted a ton of stuff.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Bought mine from the dealer...Steele Chrysler in Halifax NS. I have a 2014 SLT.

module--204.53
switch--71.36
labor--100
tax--58.02

Total--433.91

Too busy to do it myself at the time.
Had it done 1 year ago.

Have towed a trailer several times and the controller works fine.

(Gotta update my avatar.The garage in the background is finished and I'm hangin' out in it.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts