RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing a Rough Country 2.5" leveling kit and hooking up a 4K lb. trailer I get a lot of people flashing their brights at me. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the front headlights?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet! Thank you very much, my dealership said that the headlight assemblies would have to be taken apart to adjust vertical alinement. :confused: Second time they've missed led me and this will also be the last time. Any idea as to what or where I can obtain this "pattern" referred to in order to align the headlights properly and is this "pattern" even possible to used considering the fact I've raised the front 2.5"?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I have been "flashed" at ever since I drove off the dealers lot. I sure as hell couldn't see, but I must be blinding oncoming traffic. I asked the dealer to adjust the lights so that people would stop flashing me. They said they checked them & they were properly aligned. I asked where & how to adjust the horizontal side-to-side & they told me there isn't a way to adjust that. So, I'm assuming these sh*tty headlight assemblies were messed up before they were ever installed at the factory.

·
Administrator
8,950 Posts
I read the following on another forum:

To achieve the right level, start with your truck on a level surface close to a wall and mark where the lights hit. Next move back 25 feet and your lights should hit 2" lower than the first mark. Repeat until you get the 2" drop.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Are the projector style headlights height adjustable?

I had a look down the hole with the arrow pointing to it under the hood, while one arrow points to an adjustment nut, the other doesn't seem to point to anything adjustable. The one that I can spot I'm pretty certain is a left/right adjustment not an up/down.

Is there a height adjustment for the projector headlights, and if so, where?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Are the projector style headlights height adjustable?

I had a look down the hole with the arrow pointing to it under the hood, while one arrow points to an adjustment nut, the other doesn't seem to point to anything adjustable. The one that I can spot I'm pretty certain is a left/right adjustment not an up/down.

Is there a height adjustment for the projector headlights, and if so, where?
Nope!

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 7mm bolt head you see down the one fender hole adjusts the height (vertical) on ALL 4th Gen headlights, both halogen (quad) and projector. There is a horizontal adjuster on the projectors but you have to remove the headlight assembly.

You can also use a Torx T-20 if you don't have a 7mm socket.

Ok. So the ONE adjustment that I can see is a vertical adjustment? I was under the impression it was a horizontal adjustment.

·
Administrator
8,950 Posts
That's it 7MM hex or T20 will fit. It's a vertical adjustment. Not sure what the L & R mean. Did you get new headlamp assemblies or just bulbs? I'm wondering why they aim so low.

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's it 7MM hex or T20 will fit. It's a vertical adjustment. Not sure what the L & R mean. Did you get new headlamp assemblies or just bulbs? I'm wondering why they aim so low.
I got brand new headlamps. I thought them coming from factory would have them aimed correctly but alas. I'll give that screw a try. So it's just one for both headlamps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2015 Outdoorsman EcoD CC w/6.4' 4X4
4,677 Posts
the one adjuster does both the high and low, don't turn too much at one time without checking/watching the beam.

·
Registered
344 Posts
So I went out and bought a T-20 screwdriver for the headlamps and I don't think it's doing anything. Still don't know what the "R" and "L" mean next to the screw. Not sure I'm doing this correctly.

When I rotate the screw clockwise, I see it lower. When I rotate counter clockwise, it goes up but then stops. Starting to think this headlamp may be defective.

Now my left headlight is pointing higher up than the right one (which I know is correct) but it's too low still.

·
Super Moderator
2,624 Posts
I had no problem moving my stock headlights up. Sounds as though there is another issue with the lights you installed.

·
Administrator
8,950 Posts
So I went out and bought a T-20 screwdriver for the headlamps and I don't think it's doing anything. Still don't know what the "R" and "L" mean next to the screw. Not sure I'm doing this correctly.

When I rotate the screw clockwise, I see it lower. When I rotate counter clockwise, it goes up but then stops. Starting to think this headlamp may be defective.

Now my left headlight is pointing higher up than the right one (which I know is correct) but it's too low still.

It does sound like it's more than just the adjustment. Check if the bulb is seated properly. Could be defective.

Is the R & L on the headlamp itself? Maybe it means raise & lower.

Thanks for clearing-up the direction of travel. It sounds like clockwise = lower and counterclockwise = up

1 - 20 of 24 Posts