RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 ecodiesel which I love except for the maintenance issues. Currently I have 47K miles. At about 37K miles it started to run hot. Got online figured out it was likely due to the EGR. Took 2 trips to the shop to get it fixed. First time they didn’t “know anything about problems with the EGR” said it didn’t have a leak anywhere, topped off fluids and sent it home. About a week later I was towing horses back home and it started running hot. Got it back to the dealer where they finally said they needed to replace the EGR. Got that done and all has been fine. A couple days ago my son said the check engine light came on and it smelled terrible. Got it home and seemed to have diminished power. Took it for an oil change and on the way back exhaust/smoke started pouring into the cab. Got it parked and had to leave the doors open due to the smell! My truck all smells like exhaust. No smoke coming from under the hood.

Obviously it is out of the manufacturer warranty. I have the platinum MoPar warranty but it says exhaust is excluded. Given everything I read what am I likely dealing with and should it be covered under an exhaust warranty or under the FCA recall? I hate dealerships, especially being a woman they like to try and take advantage So i need all my ducks in a row before I go in on Monday. Having it towed due to the smell and what I think can’t be healthy to be in while driving. Located in Texas.

Help please. Thanks!

·
Registered
657 Posts
That should be covered under your warranty as its a mechanical problem. But my knee jerk reaction to your story is that stealership didn’t put something back together correctly.

BTW, don’t feel like the "Lone Ranger" I hate stealerships too and they try to take advantage of everyone. Back in the day, when you could look into the engine compartment and actually see an engine it was much easier to discern if they were trying to hoodwink you. But no worries there are many experts here and they should be along shortly to lend you a hand.

·
Super Moderator
3,086 Posts
Sorry for your troubles & welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can be of some help.

Two horses & tack? How fast are you towing is it hilly terrain?

Is the coolant in the overflow bottle (top front & center when you open the hood) at or above the thick seam that runs horizontally across the tank?

Find a dealership that sells lots of diesel Rams and has a VM Motori (your engine mfg) certified tech. A “green” gas mechanic may just be following WiTech (the diagnostic software) and not really know what he is doing as he wasn’t trained on it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If it's a 2 wheel drive there's a known exhaust leak into the cab, definitly covered by tsb (technical service bulletin),
Cabin Exhaust Fumes Prompt Ram Recall of 2014-2015 1500 EcoDiesel - PickupTrucks.com News

It would be loud if the exhaust were leaking, agree, a dealership with a certified tech is needed, a call to Chrysler to talk it over isn't impossible, err, does your son have a speed jones, err, heavy foot.
I'm at 40,000 with a 15, bought the 8 year 125,000 100$ deductible, took it in for an oil change said it always smelled like coolant and was hot, they charged me labor and said everything looks good, grrrrr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only 1 horse and a mini donkey with minimal tack so probably 4000pounds with the trailer. Flat driver at low speed, maybe 50mph, coming back from the vet. I don’t think it was strained, at least I would hope not.

Coolant was full after the visit to the shop but was lower after.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is a 2 wheel. Thanks for the link, I will print that off. No luckily my son is not big into speed, he was stuck in after school traffic when it started so that keeps him out of trouble :). Just had an oil change done which was coincidentally due at the same time.

By the way I stopped by autozone and they checked the code. It can back as P225d but that didn’t give any info in their system.

QUOTE=Ursle;771234]If it's a 2 wheel drive there's a known exhaust leak into the cab, definitly covered by tsb (technical service bulletin),
Cabin Exhaust Fumes Prompt Ram Recall of 2014-2015 1500 EcoDiesel - PickupTrucks.com News

It would be loud if the exhaust were leaking, agree, a dealership with a certified tech is needed, a call to Chrysler to talk it over isn't impossible, err, does your son have a speed jones, err, heavy foot.
I'm at 40,000 with a 15, bought the 8 year 125,000 100$ deductible, took it in for an oil change said it always smelled like coolant and was hot, they charged me labor and said everything looks good, grrrrr[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
142 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts