RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be worth buying a 2015 Eco Diesel with 85,000 miles after all the engine problems they have had in the past? Also what to look for when test driving?

·
Registered
2016 longhorn 4X4
103 Posts
Welcome (y), I bought a 16 with 60k mi on the clock, granted i know the history on this truck (family) all updates had or have been done and got the letter/card recently that i may me eligible for the settlement deal, if i get it that'd be fine if not no big deal, but i have acquired all the parts to tune mine up, and will be doing it sometime soon regardless....as far as what to check, check trucks service record if available car fax if available, and the stuff i would look at myself would be the coolant tank mounted out towards the front of the truck, look at two things, the color of the coolant, should look pink/purple and the level, then i would look at the oil, just to know there was no water/coolant going places it should not be, on the level, make sure the coolant level is at the appropriate level (it is marked pretty clearly) secondly if the coolant level is below the seem (middle of the tank) i have heard and read it could be a sign of trouble, when running truck i'd monitor the coolant temp and oil temp, and if it is on a lot (non-dealer) drive it somewhere and try to engage the cruise below 25mph if it works under 25, it typically (if i understand that part right) indicates the truck has been tuned, personally i would rather have the tuned variety over an untuned simply for the reduced soot level produced by the factory ECM settings and the boondoggle EGR junk:cry: some states have limited enforcement and some are hard to get around, however if you are in one of those states that has a visual and functionality check GDE has an EPA compliant tune that is getting really good review with greatly reduced soot levels

good luck, i like mine, but as mentioned, i bought from family for what dealer was offering for trade in value, so i feel i got a really good deal,

if any of this info is deemed "inaccurate" by other member of this forum feel free to correct me, cause i'm still learning too :censored: , these were just things that had been mentioned to me, during my initial purchase

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Pull out the diffuser tube, see if it's relatively clean or completely soot covered. Could get an oil sample if it has not been changed, send to Blackstone Labs, look for abnormalities. Mie has been great, 102,000 miles, tuned all except 5,000 miles. Pulled diffuser tube last week, it was relatively clean. I love mine, but I drive it a lot and tow quite a bit. Not the vehicle if you just drive a couple miles once in a while. Better if you can do your own service.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Where are you at? I just traded in my 2015 with 85000 miles at a dealership in Gilbert AZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would it be worth buying a 2015 Eco Diesel with 85,000 miles after all the engine problems they have had in the past? Also what to look for when test driving?
get and run the vin number thru ram and see what recalls have been completed and which ones are open that could be a deciding factor the newest one is w58 no parts available yet read up on all recalls

1 - 9 of 9 Posts