RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I’m new to this forum and also new to owning a diesel. I recently picked up a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel that had 107k miles on it. The truck appears to be in great condition and I’m currently having no issues with it. My question is what kind of maintenance should I provide the truck because of its mileage. It’s unknown if the truck received a 100k mike tuneup and I don’t want to roll the dice on whether it did or not. I’d rather just change what needs to be changed and call it safe.

The only thing I know for certain is I’m going to be changing the oil next week. I’ve heard some good things about Rotella T6 5w40 with the MOPAR filter. If that’s a good choice, please let me know as I don’t know anything about diesel.

As for the other things needed for the maintenance, what brands should I go with?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
You're out of warranty, so anything really goes.
The Rotella oil (only the T6 5W-40) is recommended, affordable (especially if you shop around, price match, and get the rebate from Shell), and good quality, so I don't see the need to run anything more expensive than that unless you're really trying to push way beyond the 10k oil interval. In that case, you really only know by sending oil in for analysis. Sure, you can run a super premium oil and pay for it. Up to you.

Mopar filter I'm still swearing by because I don't want warranty concerns. I only buy them from ebay/amazon through a trusted seller (like an online Mopar dealer) when the price drops and/or I have an ebay 20% off coupon of sorts. Buying it when I don't need it, and having it on the shelf, is cheaper than needing it in a hurry and having to go to a stealership. There are cheaper options but I don't have any experience with them. Just beware the cheap, cheap options, but others have had good results with others. I feel the same way about the fuel filter, except it's usually cheaper than the oil filter and not worth the hassle since some of the aftermarket ones look to cause issues. It's easy enough to change with a strap wrench, or else pick up a cheap tool to do it.

With oil analysis, you "could" run the oil longer, but you "should" still change the filter.

100k seems like a good time to perform preventative maintenance. Trans pan and filter (beware flushing), diff oils, transfer case (might as well if you're already dirty). Coolant is pretty early, only 4 years old and 107k. I think FSM is 150k.

Maybe a new serpentine belt, and stash the original one behind the seat as an emergency spare.

Personally that's what I would do, and have done on older used vehicles with limited/no service records. I usually replace radiator hoses and belts and keep the old ones as spares stuffed in a compartment. Just a habit I learned at a young(er) age and keep doing.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
727 Posts
Welcome to the forum and to Ram

DJL_57 gave you excellent advice. Here's some more.

Search the forums and you will find lots of good information. For sure, changing oil & filter on your Ecodiesel is an easy thing to do.

I use Rotella T6 5w-40 and the MOPAR filter. That combo is not absolute. Any good synthetic 5w-40 oil that meets the FCA specs is ok. Same with oil filters, Mann HU7018Z-PA6-GF30, WIX WL10060 or Napa Gold Wix (they are the same) or EcoGaurd X10232 are used by many members.

You will find that it is important to only use Mopar Fuel Filters (Only alternative is Wix WF10245FL).

Att is a file that I have put together regarding Capacities and Products that may be helpful.

Edited to update the attachment

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hello all,

I’m new to this forum and also new to owning a diesel. I recently picked up a 2015 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel that had 107k miles on it. The truck appears to be in great condition and I’m currently having no issues with it. My question is what kind of maintenance should I provide the truck because of its mileage. It’s unknown if the truck received a 100k mike tuneup and I don’t want to roll the dice on whether it did or not. I’d rather just change what needs to be changed and call it safe.

The only thing I know for certain is I’m going to be changing the oil next week. I’ve heard some good things about Rotella T6 5w40 with the MOPAR filter. If that’s a good choice, please let me know as I don’t know anything about diesel.

As for the other things needed for the maintenance, what brands should I go with?

Thanks for your input in advance.

Use hot shots EDT and extreme in the fuel tank per the bottle instructions and pick up a fumoto drain valve before you change the oil.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Att is a file that I have put together regarding Capacities and Products that may be helpfull.
Nice cheat sheet

·
Registered
727 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Thank You. Notice I edited to update it
I didn't notice the update. But I did notice the callout for power steering fluid

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Ecoguard makes a fuel filter that is so close to the mopar its probably made on the same assembly line just like there oil filter. Im currently running it in my truck to test its performance.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Ecoguard makes a fuel filter that is so close to the mopar its probably made on the same assembly line just like there oil filter. Im currently running it in my truck to test its performance.
That's good to know. Let us know the results.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Oh, and it probably would be a good time to change out that transmission fluid. There are a few write-ups on the forum that are comprehensive and helpful.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have been using aFe oil filters for over 100,000 miles and have been getting very good oil analyses. I'm ~350 miles from going 15,000 miles on the current oil and everything seems to be good. If you buy the 4-pack, your cost is ~$16 per filter.
Thanks Ziggy
I did a search and the aFe gets good reviews. I have added it to my list

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
I say change the oil, filter and fuel filter yourself. Use that T6. As for the transmission, rear end and other things that might come to mind I say run it the next 25K and then decide.

Hope it is enjoyable and reliable for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I say change the oil, filter and fuel filter yourself. Use that T6. As for the transmission, rear end and other things that might come to mind I say run it the next 25K and then decide.

Hope it is enjoyable and reliable for you.
I’m hoping it’s reliable too! From just the brief readings on here, I can see that most members have had a great experience with the truck whereas some members have had a lemon. I’m hoping I got a good one!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw those Ecoguard filters on Amazon and they seem to have a great rating! I might have to buy one and try it out!

·
Registered
122 Posts

Search the forums and you will find lots of good information. For sure, changing oil & filter on your Ecodiesel is an easy thing to do.

I use Rotella T6 5w-40 and the MOPAR filter. That combo is not absolute. Any good synthetic 5w-40 oil that meets the FCA specs is ok. Same with oil filters, Mann HU7018Z-PA6-GF30, WIX WL10060 or Napa Gold Wix (they are the same) or EcoGaurd X10232 are used by many members.

You will find that it is important to only use Mopar Fuel Filters (Only alternative is Wix WF10245FL).

Att is a file that I have put together regarding Capacities and Products that may be helpful.

John, that's an amazing summary of all the things to do, and some helpful hints! Very much appreciated, thank you for posting and for taking the time to write that all up and sharing it too! You're awesome!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
John, that's an amazing summary of all the things to do, and some helpful hints! Very much appreciated, thank you for posting and for taking the time to write that all up and sharing it too! You're awesome!!
Thank you - much appreciated

·
Registered
35 Posts

Hi John,

Thanks for attaching the file -good reading. I have to put in my 2 cents though as I've been using RainX washer fluid (the orange colored) in all my vehicles for as long as they've been making it and I've never had any issues with senors or whatnot. Of course I have never even seen the low fluid light as I add washer fluid at least every 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Lots of great maintenance tips that have already been mentioned. I would definitely keep an eye on the degas tank/coolant reservoir. Make sure you are not losing coolant as this is a fairly prevalent issue on these trucks. It is difficult not to notice being that the degas tank is right there.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Hi John,

Thanks for attaching the file -good reading. I have to put in my 2 cents though as I've been using RainX washer fluid (the orange colored) in all my vehicles for as long as they've been making it and I've never had any issues with senors or whatnot. Of course I have never even seen the low fluid light as I add washer fluid at least every 2-3 weeks.
Bruski,
Thanks for the kind words - much appreciated.

I only know RainX comes in blue, orange and green and have no idea if one or the other is a problem as I do not use it. Like you, my son uses RainX with no problems and swears by it, but he has Fords, no Rams.

I have read many posts across the forums where RainX damaged the Ram windshield washer reservoir sensor/s. Some posters managed to successfully clean the damaged sensor and some have not. And, the "Do Not Use RainX" caution was posted a lot. It's because of those posts that I included the caution to myself in my PDF file.

It's interesting that so many have had damage and said that the "Washer Fluid Low" symbol appears on the EVIC, and you've never had an issue. It makes me wonder why some have and you (and maybe others) haven't.

I appreciate your input as it raises new questions. And I'm glad, like my son, you use it, it works, you like it and it is problem-free.
Cheers!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts