RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Why would a previous owner get Full amount and I as the person that has owned my 2014 EcoDiesel 1500 the longest (4 of it's 5 years of age) get a smaller portion. Just don't understand that. In the first place they haven't gone through the headaches I've had with Dealerships trying to get it fixed correct. RAM dealership 6 times in an 18 month period for CEL and complete failure of electronic steering (supposedly had to replace steering completely). Anyway, not sure the previous owner that barely got it to 25,000 should have got anything. My incident after the AEM was they forgot to reset the Oil Change after flashing the system so next day was warned on instrument panel I needed to get oil changed as was 0% life. Reality, 49% when taken in. Dealer fixed that quickly after returning it. After AEM no take off power like before. Could easily chirp tires, now would be afraid to pull out in front of anyone closer than 2 football fields away. Seems like turbo takes a bit to kick in unlike before AEM.
Never really studied out the AEM qualifications on that issue of compensation. Frankly, I really don't understand why we get any compensation as my truck did nothing to damage the environment and has treated me more than right. Said it often that I probably should have PAID for the experience. Look around on this topic right here to find the link that shows who is qualified for what. As for why it is that way, ask both the EPA and FCA. Sorry I cannot look into their thinking.

An informed owner simply stops the engine, turns the key on, finds the oil life page on the EVIC and then re-sets it to Zero. Then you look into your records of when you last changed the oil. Surely you and everyone keeps records in your owners' manual. Now doing simple math, you can figure out at what mileage you want to change the oil. Write that down or just remember. It does not have to be exact and 10K past the change should not be hard to remember. I did that last night after re-installing my GDE.

In the history of motorized travel for individuals, now over 120 years of it, owners had no computer until recently to do the simple things like that. Try not to rely on a computer to do basic needs. It would be a sad situation if man really needed a computer to live today after man has lived for thousands of years without one.

Good luck owning and operating your truck with success. The more you learn the better you can enjoy a positive Ecodiesel experience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Why would a previous owner get Full amount and I as the person that has owned my 2014 EcoDiesel 1500 the longest (4 of it's 5 years of age) get a smaller portion. Just don't understand that. In the first place they haven't gone through the headaches I've had with Dealerships trying to get it fixed correct. RAM dealership 6 times in an 18 month period for CEL and complete failure of electronic steering (supposedly had to replace steering completely). Anyway, not sure the previous owner that barely got it to 25,000 should have got anything. My incident after the AEM was they forgot to reset the Oil Change after flashing the system so next day was warned on instrument panel I needed to get oil changed as was 0% life. Reality, 49% when taken in. Dealer fixed that quickly after returning it. After AEM no take off power like before. Could easily chirp tires, now would be afraid to pull out in front of anyone closer than 2 football fields away. Seems like turbo takes a bit to kick in unlike before AEM.
Hey, The previous (original Owner) only gets something like $975, as the current owner, you should be getting something like $2095....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yea, its even easier than that. Todays oils are amazing, really amazing. Just regular old oil is light years advanced from just 5 years ago.

If you are using Synthetics, which of course our ED are, its even better. And, its really simple.

Unless you are towing, just change the oil at 10K. Very easy to remember. These synthetics last even longer than that, but its good to err on the side of precaution.

If you are particularly an oil junky, change the oil every 5K, sorta like in the old days. That should be good. Synthetics are getting cheaper by the month.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep...my truck (after update) cant get out of its own way from a dead stop...especially when the motor is not quite up to temp, I mean its bad, real bad. When I reach temp it runs great but 16 miles a gal around town aint gonna cut it!
Dropped my truck off at the dealers yesterday morning, I just got off the phone with my service writer,he says..'' they could get the truck to duplicate the problem and everything checks out normal''
I call BS on this. as I said, when I get back from vacation this truck is outa here. It has served me well over the years with ZERO problems until this update. Only 45000 miles on it. What a shame....or sham

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had the AME update done at the dealer about three weeks ago on my 2016, truck. The mpg went from about 27 mpg on the highway to less than 25 mpg on the hwy. The trans shifts at a higher rpms, 2500 -3000 rpm, from a stop to take off. The truck drives HORRBLY if I didn't need the $3078.00, that ram is offering as part of the settlement I would have NEVER have got the new recall done on my truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the AME update done at the dealer about three weeks ago on my 2016, truck. The mpg went from about 27 mpg on the highway to less than 25 mpg on the hwy. The trans shifts at a higher rpms, 2500 -3000 rpm, from a stop to take off. The truck drives HORRBLY if I didn't need the $3078.00, that ram is offering as part of the settlement I would have NEVER have got the new recall done on my truck.

Same here, My dealer told me that California residents will need proof of the update prior to registering the truck, they gave me a little 3x6 card that shows proof of this and will need to be presented to the DMV at time of regeneration in 2020. My buddy has the same truck as me ...2015... he says he received no such card from his dealer.
On a side note, my registration is due this month, I took my truck to the smog shop after the AME (and failed not once but twice) I was told to drive the truck for about 200 miles for the update to take actually update.
I did so and it passed, buuuut there where 2 parts of the smog test that did not pass, apparently there is some leniency in calif that allowed the truck to pass and be registered.
This whole thing is going to get uglier in a very short time. mark my words .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Captain,

Thanks for posting this info. So I assume you kept your original ECM but did not put it back in prior to getting the update from the dealer? Instead you let the the dealer over-write your GDE tuned unit and sent the original unit to GDE? That's cool if you did it that way - make me wonder why I didn't think of that - only involves one swap instead of 2.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Easier than that Lifeson , if you ever purchased something at Lowes for exemple , put it on your credit card ,
then return the item to Lowes for refund , when you get your credit card statement , you see the purchase in
the list = XX, then same XX amount with " minus XX" , you do the same with GDE , knowing "when ", your credit card bill comes in every month ,
you just have to time your actions right , contact GDE , have them send in a newly tuned Module to you around
same date or day before your visit to the dealer for reflash , go back home , switch back to tuned ECM , send back the ECM
on which the dealer erased your tune within 21 days for refund on credit card , No down time ....

explained bottom left of GDE site page :https://www.greendieselengineering.com/ECM-Service-Update/GDE/Ram-1500-EcoDiesel-Tune-Update/2_46.action

when in Canada , to avoid the border crossing of packages back-and-forth ,
(( as someone once explained they got a phone call ,asking why they had a package cross to U.S.A. ,
then cross back into Canada , by mysterious caller )) ,
(( he was wise and said he had an electronics part fixed in U.S.A. for a lot less money that he was quoted in Canada , mysterious caller was satisfied )).
it's aesier to do the double swap , GDE uses UPS for shipping , +/- $ 35.00 US for one way shipping
then add $ 26.00 CDN for brokerage fee from UPS , it adds up .
GDE's $ 50 for reflash turns into $ 175.00 for us in Canada .:mad:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not in the U.S. but. I had the AEM done. I didn't notice any degraded fuel economy. I did notice the throttle was much touchier. I just recently. (On Tuesday) drove across the border with my boy and had the fellas at GDE flash my 2015, and do the transmission.

On my way home the next day...I got 28.4 MPG. Which is 8.3L /100km. I had previously been no better than. 9.4L/100km.

Full disclosure, I have Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires. As soon as I had those installed I could not get better than 9.4. with the stock tires I could hit 8.8 on the highway...just like it's rated for.

I run a little ODBII dongle paired to a small tablet running ODB Fusion that sits on the pullout tray . Before the AEM I would watch the soot buildup readings climb incrementally, once it hit about 75 %, the reading would jump up to 100, so I knew it was doing the regen and would be at about 8 after the Regen. After the AEM I watched the reading go all over the place. The soot readings would go up and down! All over. when I set out to go see Gde...with the guage showing 100 (so should be doing a regen) I drove over 200 miles....and no Regen. The reading stayed at 100.

When updating my truck Matt said my dealer had only done half the flash! Unfortunately....with my dealer, that did not surprise me.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
marz , maybe your monitoring system seems to work like the Torque Pro App ,,,
if your regen is aborted before being complete , the Torque Pro App will keep showing 100% on soot ,
only after a completed regen will you see 9% , and then % climb again , since you wrote that you got the GDE tune ,
you will wait a long time for the next regen , it takes +/- 7 times longer than stock tune for regen to start ,
then add more time to go to 80% instead of 66% as in stock tune
that conclusion comes from the fact that , like the Torque Pro App , you monitor shows you 100% of needed soot for regen to start ,
on a Edge monitor you see it go to 66% on stock tune , or 80% with GDE tune .

·
Registered
13,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Captain,

Thanks for posting this info. So I assume you kept your original ECM but did not put it back in prior to getting the update from the dealer? Instead you let the the dealer over-write your GDE tuned unit and sent the original unit to GDE? That's cool if you did it that way - make me wonder why I didn't think of that - only involves one swap instead of 2.
NO. I never kept my original ECM. Man that would be a waste of something like $700 dollars. To me that's a lot of money to just sit useless. Of course, you could try and sell the darn thing.

I returned my original ECM for a refund years ago. The dealer flashed over my GDE unit. Interesting but I had written "GDE" in red marker on that unit. I ordered and paid for the new unit before having the AEM done. Unfortunately UPS (Brown is down) created a delay in delivery as they punted the thing from Tampa to Orlando and back. They did alert me to the "OOPS". That delay meant that I did not have it to put in for a couple days after the AEM. I just let the truck sit in the garage and refused to use it.

After installing the new GDE-tuned ECM, I put the old one ( hope they clean off that red "GDE" on the side) in their box and took it to the post office. Got a tracking and guess it got to their place yesterday. Now they will credit my Pal Pal account I think something like $650. My total expense would then be less than $100 with shipping. Also guessing the program they put in this new GDE unit is the latest and greatest as my old one was near 4 years old. Soon as I can tow something out of Florida and get on a downhill I will activate the turbo brake and see at what rpm is activates. Used to be 2,600 and I think the new ones are something like 2,200 rpm.

Always something to look forward to if you look.

Post office tried to deliver but GDE probably was not open Saturday. Only took 2 days to try that delivery and $11.95 for the postage. Way cheaper and faster than UPS. Guessing they will try again tomorrow, Monday, when GDE will most likely be open.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Kazimodo

Yeah, I guess what I was trying to point out in a long winded sort of way. Was after the AEM update. The readings while driving normally would build up, and go down....without doing a regen. Completely weird, and messed up. I was so happy when I go the tune in Tuesday. I don't have to worry now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Years ago I was often criticized for describing my early impressions of GDE. I spoke of experiencing little to no power change, operation change and just a slight improvement in fuel mileage. Well my return today, with all that acceleration and speed, showed 26.5 mpg on the EVIC. Just over 28 mpg going in with GDE this morning at lesser speeds with fewer bunzi acceleration testing. I know the EGR is sooting up my engine. I know the DEF sensors are working as I put fresh DEF in the tank after draining four years of water from the tank. I KNOW there was very little change pre and post GDE. The darn thing works well after the AEM. Just not going to find out for how long. GDE goes in tomorrow if it arrives.
I remember your post on the initial impression of GDE, and you're right, lots of GDE fan boys criticized what you wrote. I do think GDE has a good product, but just because they do doesn't mean they're perfect or exempt from any and all criticism. At that time you also mentioned they sent you the ECM with no instructions. No instructions doesn't bother me, but one would think they could at least include a card or something pointing to a link to the instructions. When my tuned ECM arrived last fall I went to their website and found the instructions not so easy to find, which was annoying. Also if not for this forum I would not have known that DEF is no longer used after the tune - don't think I ever got any info from GDE on that.

I got the AEM today, and I can't feel a significant difference between it and the way it was before the update. If anything, I think it may be just slightly more responsive off the line that it was prior to the update. In my case I had kept the original ECM, so I had put it back before taking the truck to the dealer. I can tell the difference when the GDE tuned ECM is in place - mainly throttle response when starting from a complete stop. I have not put the GDE tuned unit back in yet, and I may not get to it until the weekend.

·
Registered
43 Posts
NO. I never kept my original ECM. Man that would be a waste of something like $700 dollars. To me that's a lot of money to just sit useless. Of course, you could try and sell the darn thing.

After installing the new GDE-tuned ECM, I put the old one ( hope they clean off that red "GDE" on the side) in their box and took it to the post office. Got a tracking and guess it got to their place yesterday. Now they will credit my Pal Pal account I think something like $650. My total expense would then be less than $100 with shipping.
GDE sent you a second tuned ECM to trade for the first one so that you would not have to send the flashed one to them (and be stuck with no ECM in the truck for a few days)? If that's true, that's a great deal. The reason I kept the original ECM was so that I could tolerate any flash from a dealer and then put the GDE one back in, i.e not wait for round trip shipping to GDE and back of my only ECM.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Easier than that Lifeson , if you ever purchased something at Lowes for exemple , put it on your credit card ,
then return the item to Lowes for refund , when you get your credit card statement , you see the purchase in
the list = XX, then same XX amount with " minus XX" , you do the same with GDE , knowing "when ", your credit card bill comes in every month ,
you just have to time your actions right , contact GDE , have them send in a newly tuned Module to you around
same date or day before your visit to the dealer for reflash , go back home , switch back to tuned ECM , send back the ECM
on which the dealer erased your tune within 21 days for refund on credit card , No down time ....

explained bottom left of GDE site page :https://www.greendieselengineering.com/ECM-Service-Update/GDE/Ram-1500-EcoDiesel-Tune-Update/2_46.action

when in Canada , to avoid the border crossing of packages back-and-forth ,
(( as someone once explained they got a phone call ,asking why they had a package cross to U.S.A. ,
then cross back into Canada , by mysterious caller )) ,
(( he was wise and said he had an electronics part fixed in U.S.A. for a lot less money that he was quoted in Canada , mysterious caller was satisfied )).
it's aesier to do the double swap , GDE uses UPS for shipping , +/- $ 35.00 US for one way shipping
then add $ 26.00 CDN for brokerage fee from UPS , it adds up .
GDE's $ 50 for reflash turns into $ 175.00 for us in Canada .:mad:
Wow, somehow I missed this reply earlier. So GDE is willing to trade a newly tuned ECM for one that has been overwritten and only charge $50 if the end-user picks up shipping costs. Cool - I always thought the over-written ECM had to be sent in and updated for 50 bucks. I kept my original ECM and have no regrets. Caught a good sale on the GDE tune last fall, and the same percent off applied to the full price without sending back the original ECM, I now have an updated "paper weight" that is fully emissions compliant, and I can deploy it if/when I ever need to.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will be installing GDE tune as soon as I get all the AEM paperwork done to Mopar's satisfaction. My question to GDE users is this. How does the new shift program added when the did the AEM update work with the GDE tune? Is it an improvement or was the stock transmission shift program better with GDE tune? The reason I ask is if it has degraded function I will purchase the GDE transmission tune.

·
Registered
4,467 Posts
I will be installing GDE tune as soon as I get all the AEM paperwork done to Mopar's satisfaction. My question to GDE users is this. How does the new shift program added when the did the AEM update work with the GDE tune? Is it an improvement or was the stock transmission shift program better with GDE tune? The reason I ask is if it has degraded function I will purchase the GDE transmission tune.
I ran a few days after the AEM with the GDE tune and stock trans tune, didn't notice anything negative. I reinstalled my trans tune and everything is right with the world again.

You should probably do the trans tune regardless, it's a night and day difference. For me, it was a much more noticeable improvement than the hot tune was over the stock ecm tune.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts