RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had mine done today. The dealer had it for about two hours (maybe a bit less). After the service I drove thru' city traffic for about twenty minutes, then on the highway home for about fourty minutes. I neither feel nor see any difference. It's as if they ahdn't done it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today I realised that I have been driving my truck without thinking about the update. It hasn't changed it's character since from before the update and runs exactly as it ran before. Even the EVIC numbers are the same.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you have GDE prior to the update? If so, that's probably why you're not noticing much change.

The stock tune was crap, the AEM is from what I've read, just about the same. Until you drive with a GDE tune, it's hard to compare apples to oranges. I ran stock for 3 year, and within 5 min of GDE, it was like a new truck! She goes when I want her to go.

Do your truck a favour, save up and get GDE, shut off the EGR before the soot self-destructs your intake, if you've not yet pulled off your diffuser tube, do so soon, see how much crap is gumming up in there from the EGR, it'll make you vomit. Run TORQUE PRO and see how many REGEN's your getting every week behind the scenes. After GDE, I can go over 1000km before a regen. STOCK - I was having a regen every 120 - 150 km!

I got GDE mostly to save my engine from this gook. And I"m staying far away from the AEM reflash until they make me do it, or pay me to do it like they're doing for our fellow Americans. It's BS that FCA is paying out US owners $3075 to do the update and giving Canadians nothing, but a "voluntary" recall. Forget that, they aren't flashing my truck until they pay us what is equitable.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I had mine done today. The dealer had it for about two hours (maybe a bit less). After the service I drove thru' city traffic for about twenty minutes, then on the highway home for about fourty minutes. I neither feel nor see any difference. It's as if they ahdn't done it.
Interesting that you didn't experience any difference in the shift points. What is your rearend ratio? Out of curiosity, do you recall any change inthe shift points a few years ago when you had the flashes they applied when they did the oil grade change? On a level road with no gale winds blowing what speed will your truck shift into 8th? I have to be going 55 mph now for that to happen. I can entice it to do so a bit sooner but on a level road with me and the dog in the truck and the stock tires and 3:55 rearend it really wants 55 to go into 8th.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you have GDE prior to the update? If so, that's probably why you're not noticing much change.

The stock tune was crap, the AEM is from what I've read, just about the same. Until you drive with a GDE tune, it's hard to compare apples to oranges. I ran stock for 3 year, and within 5 min of GDE, it was like a new truck! She goes when I want her to go.

Do your truck a favour, save up and get GDE, shut off the EGR before the soot self-destructs your intake, if you've not yet pulled off your diffuser tube, do so soon, see how much crap is gumming up in there from the EGR, it'll make you vomit. Run TORQUE PRO and see how many REGEN's your getting every week behind the scenes. After GDE, I can go over 1000km before a regen. STOCK - I was having a regen every 120 - 150 km!

I got GDE mostly to save my engine from this gook. And I"m staying far away from the AEM reflash until they make me do it, or pay me to do it like they're doing for our fellow Americans. It's BS that FCA is paying out US owners $3075 to do the update and giving Canadians nothing, but a "voluntary" recall. Forget that, they aren't flashing my truck until they pay us what is equitable.
I'm bone stock except for a tailgate shock absorber (slow drop). I have four years (less a bit) and 90,000km left on my bumper to bumper warranty. I like the way the truck drives. I like the mileage. I like the quiet operation. I think I'll just leave well enough alone. If it destructs .... I'll drive the loaner unless I don't like it in which case I'll drive my 2017 Sierra.

cheers

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting that you didn't experience any difference in the shift points. What is your rearend ratio? Out of curiosity, do you recall any change inthe shift points a few years ago when you had the flashes they applied when they did the oil grade change? On a level road with no gale winds blowing what speed will your truck shift into 8th? I have to be going 55 mph now for that to happen. I can entice it to do so a bit sooner but on a level road with me and the dog in the truck and the stock tires and 3:55 rearend it really wants 55 to go into 8th.
I have a 3.55 rear gear set. I don't recall any differences in the way it runs for any of the updates. The ONLY update I have refused is the "door open-auto park". I need 80kmph to get 8'th unless it's nicely warmed up, then it'll shift as low as 70. Unless I am goosing it, it shifts around 2000 to 2500 rpm and if I need to move more quickly it shifts as high as between 3000 and 4000, but that's really rare. Most of the time I rarely exceed 3000 rpm. IT's always had a bit of lag when cold, but that goes away when warm.

One point I'd like to make .... my hot rod days ended many years ago. My first car was a 69 Galaxie 500 2-door with a 429, followed by a 69 'stang, followed by a 2-litre twin-Webbered, dual exhausted '73 Cortina GT. I don't drive like that any more. I no longer own any motorcycles, and my snowmobile is a 600cc 4-stroke Skandic Superwide. I probably don't self-inflict many of the issues that seem to pop up here. I know several people with ED's and only one has had any major issues, likely due to his short trips, stop/start while living in country that's more often cold than warm.

cheers

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just updating this thread .....

It's been two weeks and several hundred kilometres since the update. I've had one highway trip of about 150km, and the rest has been around town, which hereabouts means 25km or less. The truck runs well, it has the same cold start lag that it always had, shifts right where it always did, and turns out the same mileage that it did before.

So far .... so good.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Lucky you ;)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another 200km on the highway today ... run about 100kmph (62mph) on cruise in 8'th gear ... we've been doing one of those trips every week because of our business, and that's in addtion to our daily usage of getting grub and going for the daily coffee/ice cappachino/whatever swmbo wants that day and those trips are 25-20km each ... ran great ... no issues ... mileage is the same as it was before the update. Cold lag is the same as before ... there's none when warm.

cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts