RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this truck but all the emissions and recall issues are getting confusing.

I replaced my ECM with GDE flashed version after AEM update. It seemed back to normal except the transmission seems to miss periodically?

Now I see there has been an EGR recall. Does this effect my truck with GDE tune? Do I need to add transmission tune?

Can someone just give me the low down because I’m not sure what to do anymore and trading in isn’t an option right now.

2015 LH ED with 137k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Transmission has a learning computer , give it a while and see if it shift better ,
to your liking ...
you already have the GDE tune , EGR is turned OFF electronically ,
just keep an eye on the coolant bottle , if the EGR was to fail internally ,
the coolant level would go down ,
Do you still have a stock ECM for your truck, for dealer visits ??
if you do , then swap to stock ECM and get the new EGR when they become available ,
when you get home swap ECM and put GDE back in.
------------------------------
If you don't have a back-up ECM ,then you can get a EGR cooler stage 2 delete kit
( if you are afraid the EGR will burn your truck down , you can remove the whole unit ),
your GDE tune is compatible with EGR stage 2 delete .
your truck will not throw a code because the GDE tune is already designed for
the EGR cooler removal.
-------------------------------

·
Registered
126 Posts
Transmission has a learning computer , give it a while and see if it shift better ,
to your liking ...
you already have the GDE tune , EGR is turned OFF electronically ,
just keep an eye on the coolant bottle , if the EGR was to fail internally ,
the coolant level would go down ,
Do you still have a stock ECM for your truck, for dealer visits ??
if you do , then swap to stock ECM and get the new EGR when they become available ,
when you get home swap ECM and put GDE back in.
------------------------------
If you don't have a back-up ECM ,then you can get a EGR cooler stage 2 delete kit
( if you are afraid the EGR will burn your truck down , you can remove the whole unit ),
your GDE tune is compatible with EGR stage 2 delete .
your truck will not throw a code because the GDE tune is already designed for
the EGR cooler removal.
-------------------------------
I am in the same situation, I have a GDE hot tune with regen notification added. I am AFRAID to take my truck to the dealer to have the EGR cooler replaced because if the dealer flashes my ECM my tune will be gone. I do not have a spare ECM. I think I read some where that if you have a GDE hot tune that your EGR was turned off electronically. I plan to keep my truck away from the dealer hands and not worry about replacing the EGR. I run Amsoil 5W40 Diesel oil in my truck. I plan to keep my oil changed and dive this truck until it DIES,and if it goes up in flames, WELL ITS INSURED.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
You should be fine Jerome , your EGR does not see exhaust
run thru it , so it only gets as hot as the coolant ,no heat fatigue in your EGR ,
if you are worried about dealer visits ,
buy a used ECM , same year as your truck , and read the thread about
programming it for your truck using the Alfa Obd tool , not an expensive tool ,
by the time FCA comes up with a solution for EGR , which looks to be not before
April , you could swap ECM and get new EGR , or just install stage 2 EGR delete kit
if your EGR ever leaks internally , your GDE tune is already compatible with
EGR delete and will not throw codes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You should be fine Jerome , your EGR does not see exhaust
run thru it , so it only gets as hot as the coolant ,no heat fatigue in your EGR ,
if you are worried about dealer visits ,
buy a used ECM , same year as your truck , and read the thread about
programming it for your truck using the Alfa Obd tool , not an expensive tool ,
by the time FCA comes up with a solution for EGR , which looks to be not before
April , you could swap ECM and get new EGR , or just install stage 2 EGR delete kit
if your EGR ever leaks internally , your GDE tune is already compatible with
EGR delete and will not throw codes.
I wanted to buy a spare ECM but no one could tell me how to program the ECM to work in my truck.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
You're in no hurry , here , some reading material ,
to learn in your spare time ....
-------------------
you can find how in the thread linked here ,
resumé in PDF file to input data in post # 461
here :
-------------------------------------
the latest evolution /update /version , of the Alfa Obd makes it easier to program
your Vin and injector codes to a used ECM ,
**** "" just have to make sure you get the same year ECM as your truck """
because 2014 and 2015 trucks did not have a DEF quality sensor in the DEF tank ,
but the 2016 and later has that , so if you get a 2016 ECM , the software will be looking
for data from DEF quality sensor , and will not receive any , and throw a code .
talked about in this post # 406 in here :

Alfa obd first discovered here , post 85 by Domino :
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/bcm-programming.59846/page-6
all the way to the end of the thread , then ,
you can also learn how to use the Alfa Obd app in here : official thread .

·
Registered
380 Posts
I am in the same situation, I have a GDE hot tune with regen notification added. I am AFRAID to take my truck to the dealer to have the EGR cooler replaced because if the dealer flashes my ECM my tune will be gone. I do not have a spare ECM. I think I read some where that if you have a GDE hot tune that your EGR was turned off electronically. I plan to keep my truck away from the dealer hands and not worry about replacing the EGR. I run Amsoil 5W40 Diesel oil in my truck. I plan to keep my oil changed and dive this truck until it DIES,and if it goes up in flames, WELL ITS INSURED.
You can request, in writing, on the service ticket for the EGR that you do not get any updates. Also install this https://www.xtremediesel.com/longhorn-fab-200922-do-not-reflash-obdii-port-cover?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxfzvBRCZARIsAGA7YMxz7O7DG-w2yHHbE-xThdpOVFnyBSUykHQ-T7Q4G4qfzQREBUEmjj8aAuDFEALw_wcB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts