RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Fellow Ecodiesel Owners,

First off, I want to introduce myself, I'm James and like many of you, I have been going through the AEM update recently. I am also a class representative for Georgia and Florida Ecodiesel owners. I have been working with several law firms over the past two years to help secure you guys the settlement from FCA/Bosch/VM. Needless to say, I am very familiar with all the details of this lawsuit and resulting settlement.

As many of you have stated, post AEM install I experienced VERY significant delays in throttle response, especially at low speeds or from a stop. Horrible throttle response was only the very beginning of my AEM nightmare.........

Post AEM Install — Issues With the Following Systems/Components:
o EGR Cooler — Emission & Cooling Systems
o Intake Manifold — Main Engine Component
o Crank case pressure sensor — ECU System
o Turbo Charger, failed on THREE separate occasions — Critical Engine Component
o Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) — Exhaust System

So far, everything above has been covered by FCA (including multiple rental vehicles). The total of these repairs, if they hadn't been covered would probably exceed $8K. I have documentation for at least $6K in repairs currently. My truck has been in-operable for well in excess of 30 days now and it is currently sitting in my driveway with an non-working turbo charger (3rd failure of this specific component). I am also going through the buy-back process currently with FCA.

From my personal experience, it appears that the AEM has made, what was a great diesel truck, and absolute unreliable nightmare. Furthermore, the horrible throttle response and failing turbo charger system have put me in several VERY close calls on the interstate and on main highways. I personally do NOT feel safe driving this truck anymore.

If any of you need any assistance with issues as they relate to your Ecodiesel and the AEM update, please reach out to me.

V/R,
James

·
Registered
71 Posts
Greetings Fellow Ecodiesel Owners,

First off, I want to introduce myself, I'm James and like many of you, I have been going through the AEM update recently. I am also a class representative for Georgia and Florida Ecodiesel owners. I have been working with several law firms over the past two years to help secure you guys the settlement from FCA/Bosch/VM. Needless to say, I am very familiar with all the details of this lawsuit and resulting settlement.

As many of you have stated, post AEM install I experienced VERY significant delays in throttle response, especially at low speeds or from a stop. Horrible throttle response was only the very beginning of my AEM nightmare.........

So far, everything above has been covered by FCA (including multiple rental vehicles). The total of these repairs, if they hadn't been covered would probably exceed $8K. I have documentation for at least $6K in repairs currently. My truck has been in-operable for well in excess of 30 days now and it is currently sitting in my driveway with an non-working turbo charger (3rd failure of this specific component). I am also going through the buy-back process currently with FCA.

From my personal experience, it appears that the AEM has made, what was a great diesel truck, and absolute unreliable nightmare. Furthermore, the horrible throttle response and failing turbo charger system have put me in several VERY close calls on the interstate and on main highways. I personally do NOT feel safe driving this truck anymore.

If any of you need any assistance with issues as they relate to your Ecodiesel and the AEM update, please reach out to me.

V/R,
James
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. My truck felt so horrible as soon as they updated it, I had a sense that serious damage could be happening. I just parked it and drove my little backup Mini Cooper. I have resolved the issue for now but I feel this whole thing was a debacle and thousands of owners have lost value in a significant investment not to mention the ongoing aggravation. My dealer said, we will give you a rental for as long as it takes to fix, but that went away quickly and then suddenly, "it didn't need fixing." After them saying, "something big is wrong." Oh brother... I got my truck out of there asap.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome Do you think any of the issues are related to the AEM? If so, why and how?
Well I will put it this way, I bought the truck new and had ZERO problems for 37K miles. Now, post AEM install, in 2K miles, I have had 6 different problems, on three different systems on the truck, and it has been worked on by two different dealerships (to include the world famous Hendrick Motorsports in NC). In my personal opinion, what ever changes the AEM brought, appears to have put additional strain on the emissions system (EGR specifically) and the turbo charger system. If the AEM isn't the cause then my last 6 breakdowns are one heck of a coincidence! Oh and the check engine light came on 6 hours after the AEM was installed by the dealership soo.................. The lack of throttle response post AEM install is well documented throughout this forum and I consider that a settled issue.

The fact that the EPA/CARB wanted FCA to extend the warranty on these trucks is telling itself. Talking with other diesel Ford and Ram 2500 owners, they said it was rare to have an EGR go out at 37K.

V/R,
James

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. My truck felt so horrible as soon as they updated it, I had a sense that serious damage could be happening. I just parked it and drove my little backup Mini Cooper. I have resolved the issue for now but I feel this whole thing was a debacle and thousands of owners have lost value in a significant investment not to mention the ongoing aggravation. My dealer said, we will give you a rental for as long as it takes to fix, but that went away quickly and then suddenly, "it didn't need fixing." After them saying, "something big is wrong." Oh brother... I got my truck out of there asap.
Sounds like we have had a similar experience. Sorry to hear you are having the same problems. I wouldn't throw in the towel though, I would fight them over every last penny. I've had to push back against FCA several times; but I haven't been without a rental car so far. If your truck is broken for 30+ days, per the settlement agreement, you can apply to have FCA buy your truck back. That is where I am at currently. If you are still having problems with your Ecodiesel send me a PM and I can shoot you a few phone numbers and email addresses that will get your truck fixed.

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
Well I will put it this way, I bought the truck new and had ZERO problems for 37K miles. Now, post AEM install, in 2K miles, I have had 6 different problems, on three different systems on the truck, and it has been worked on by two different dealerships (to include the world famous Hendrick Motorsports in NC). In my personal opinion, what ever changes the AEM brought, appears to have put additional strain on the emissions system (EGR specifically) and the turbo charger system. If the AEM isn't the cause then my last 6 breakdowns are one heck of a coincidence! Oh and the check engine light came on 6 hours after the AEM was installed by the dealership soo.................. The lack of throttle response post AEM install is well documented throughout this forum and I consider that a settled issue.

The fact that the EPA/CARB wanted FCA to extend the warranty on these trucks is telling itself. Talking with other diesel Ford and Ram 2500 owners, they said it was rare to have an EGR go out at 37K.

V/R,
James
Without details on the following issues you mentioned, it's difficult for us to come to any conclusions. We have seen all of these issues here for several years now (not necessarily all at once). The fact that you are seeing them all at once makes me wonder if your dealer even has a clue.

Did you go back to the dealer when you got the CEL and these were the issues they found? Sometimes they just throw parts at it. Were they trying to make the truck run as it did pre AEM?

There's a lot of knowledge here with members willing to help you. Give us some details and we will see how we can help.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ 97hmcs

The basics of my story are listed above, while I did leave some minor details out, it is clear, at least in my case, that the AEM had a profound negative IMPACT on my truck. As you said, you haven't seen all these issues at "once", that to me is telling. I had some questions about dealer workmanship personally, but after many phone calls and recommendations, I took my Ecodiesel to Hendrick in Concord, NC. Yes, I am speaking about THE Hendrick Motorsports, which is less than 4 miles from a major NASCAR race track. The professionals there quickly diagnosed and repaired my issue. Unfortunately their repair on the turbo charger lasted about 4 days. Since then, the turbo charger has failed yet again. So two different dealerships, one of which is renowned for their diesel technicians, and three failures of the turbo charger tell me that it isn't likely a workmanship issue, but what do I know?!

V/R,
James

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
@ 97hmcs

The basics of my story are listed above, while I did leave some minor details out, it is clear, at least in my case, that the AEM had a profound negative IMPACT on my truck. As you said, you haven't seen all these issues at "once", that to me is telling. I had some questions about dealer workmanship personally, but after many phone calls and recommendations, I took my Ecodiesel to Hendrick in Concord, NC. Yes, I am speaking about THE Hendrick Motorsports, which is less than 4 miles from a major NASCAR race track. The professionals there quickly diagnosed and repaired my issue. Unfortunately their repair on the turbo charger lasted about 4 days. Since then, the turbo charger has failed yet again. So two different dealerships, one of which is renowned for their diesel technicians, and three failures of the turbo charger tell me that it isn't likely a workmanship issue, but what do I know?!

V/R,
James
Again, we can't help without details. What was repaired on the turbo charger and what has failed again? Was all of this a result of diagnosing the CEL? We need answers before we can help.

·
Registered
13,716 Posts
WOW - a repair on the turbo probably involves removal of the entire cab body from the frame. Think that's the only reasonable way to get access to the turbo. Bet that took a while.
Normally there are few to no issues with turbo failure. It has and does happen but mostly related to the coolant of the turbo, not the turbo itself.

My first impression was you were trying to get some kind of business involving a class lawsuit against FCA. Now I'm just assuming you really are getting some serious trouble with your Ecodiesel. Keep us posted as to what is actually happening. The AEM is just a simple program change and really should not negatively affect the actual operation of parts if all is stock. Some of your emissions equipment would be best served tuned out but that's another topic.

Good luck with your repairs.

Reactions: 97hmcs

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
If you decide you want your truck, get a GDE tune, swap ECM's and forget about everything else. You're truck will be better than before the AEM. FCA gave you more than enough money to buy the tune.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
WOW - a repair on the turbo probably involves removal of the entire cab body from the frame. Think that's the only reasonable way to get access to the turbo. Bet that took a while.
Normally there are few to no issues with turbo failure. It has and does happen but mostly related to the coolant of the turbo, not the turbo itself.

My first impression was you were trying to get some kind of business involving a class lawsuit against FCA. Now I'm just assuming you really are getting some serious trouble with your Ecodiesel. Keep us posted as to what is actually happening. The AEM is just a simple program change and really should not negatively affect the actual operation of parts if all is stock. Some of your emissions equipment would be best served tuned out but that's another topic.

Lol, NOT trying to recruit anyone for anything else against FCA. They already have their hands full. I'm just a pissed off owner that has a $30K paperweight in my driveway. While a GDE tune sounds sublime, I can't even tow a hotdog stand currently, so first things first. Need to get my truck fixed by FCA.

Bottom line, if your Ecodiesel is having issues post-AEM, I got your back and will help you if possible, and no I won't by you a new truck.

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
Lol, NOT trying to recruit anyone for anything else against FCA. They already have their hands full. I'm just a pissed off owner that has a $30K paperweight in my driveway. While a GDE tune sounds sublime, I can't even tow a hotdog stand currently, so first things first. Need to get my truck fixed by FCA.

Bottom line, if your Ecodiesel is having issues post-AEM, I got your back and will help you if possible, and no I won't by you a new truck.
If the driveability issues are a result of the AEM as you keep telling us, then there's nothing FCA can fix (they can't go back to the original flash). The GDE tune will take care of any post AEM driveability issues and your truck will drive 10X better than before the AEM as a bonus.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you decide you want your truck, get a GDE tune, swap ECM's and forget about everything else. You're truck will be better than before the AEM. FCA gave you more than enough money to buy the tune.
Fair, point, but I currently can't even drive the truck. Turbo has failed for the third time. GDE sounds great, but not until its is repaired by FCA again.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If the driveability issues are a result of the AEM as you keep telling us, then there's nothing FCA can fix (they can't go back to the original flash). The GDE tune will take care of any post AEM driveability issues and your truck will drive 10X better than before the AEM as a bonus.
You post is ASSUMING that everyone is located in a state where a GDE tune is legal and second you are assuming that EVERYONE on this forum wants an aftermarket tune on their truck (~$700 investment). My point: I bought this truck, FCA lied about it, and now its broken for the 6th time. FCA had a responsibility to do appropriate AEM testing PRIOR to releasing this to their 102K Ecodisel owners. Either way, FCA budgeted $1K per truck in post AEM warranty repairs, I'm already thousands over that and counting. Perhaps they made a mistake on their post AEM warranty estimates? Or perhaps they just didn't do enough testing?

V/R,
James

Turbo-Failure.JPG

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I won't define "turbo failure" here or we will all be here for months. Specifically, I have attached a photo of my "failed" turbo charger in action while NOT towing. Failure = NOT WORKING. Turbo replacement is another issue entirely.

Turbo-Failure.JPG

·
Administrator
8,906 Posts
That 70 MPH was gravity assisted. Lol AKA: long steep downgrade. Although the truck would do 60 MPH on flat ground without the turbo, which I was surprised to see.
I guess you're seeing tons of black smoke while driving with no turbo boost.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
That 70 MPH was gravity assisted. Lol AKA: long steep downgrade. Although the truck would do 60 MPH on flat ground without the turbo, which I was surprised to see.
So I will question this statement outright...my Father had his stock 2015 AEM done 2 weeks ago. His first tank post AME was 1mpg less overall yet shifted better. He has extensive experience driving my 2016 GDE w/ the Pedal Commander option which he says is 'a beast' yet is very pleased post ECM flash and feels his 2015 drives better in the NC Mountains...

Reactions: MR. TED

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I will question this statement outright...my Father had his stock 2015 AEM done 2 weeks ago. His first tank post AME was 1mpg less overall yet shifted better. He has extensive experience driving my 2016 GDE w/ the Pedal Commander option which he says is 'a beast' yet is very pleased post ECM flash and feels his 2015 drives better in the NC Mountains...
I'm not sure what you are questioning. The turbo was producing ZERO boost. So my truck was basically a 6K vehicle with a naturally aspirated diesel engine. It is amazing it could do 70 MPH without the turbo. See the picture I posted above of my scan gauge.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts