RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since many are chiming in with their opinions, I'm going to toss this out there as well. I receive the tune on June 6, 2019.

AEM seat of the pants performance is noticeably different than the stock tune. I guess that was why we were bought off. The off the line stumbling I felt the first 3 days is gone. When I say stumbling, I mean like it wanted to stall out. Tune "learning" or whatever it was is now gone. It has been replaced with a slow gradual build of power until it is over 2000 rpms. It appears to me they have limited turbo boost. I'm guessing they limit the rate at which the vanes on the turbo change and/or limited fuel. It's a bit difficult to tell if top end power is lowered or not and if the torque curve has been shifted along with top torque values. I'm suspicious the answer is yes on all accounts but some new dyno numbers would be very nice.

My data collection with torque pro shows DPF loading to be down about 10-15 % from the stock tune. There is a lot of build up when the engine is cold (to be expected) but no so much once it is warmed up. My earlier observations that fuel mileage maybe up slightly on the highway at speed and full temperature needs to be verified. Unfortunately I'm not going anywhere but work-to-home for another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My truck also seems to be relearning how to accelerate and shows the same gradual build up to power now.

Towed the toy hauler out this last week on the same route, to the same camping spot and with the same load and accursed head winds as we had last year. EVIC MPG last year, stock tune, was 14 to 15 this year after the AEM the MPG on the EVIC came back as 10 to 11. Something has changed for sure.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... EVIC MPG last year, stock tune, was 14 to 15 this year after the AEM the MPG on the EVIC came back as 10 to 11. Something has changed for sure.
I've never gotten 15-15 MPG towing our trailer. Well, with the exception of down hill. I'm always in the 11-12 MPG range at best. Our trailer is probably a bit bigger than yours ... maybe.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
I've never gotten 15-15 MPG towing our trailer. Well, with the exception of down hill. I'm always in the 11-12 MPG range at best. Our trailer is probably a bit bigger than yours ... maybe.
I'm 11-12 too, tuned and towing around 7500-8k, lot of frontal area on my 30' TH. Don't understand those with similar size trailers claiming 14ish.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm in the 13-16mpg range depending on terrain while towing 7100+lbs. I tow again on the first of July.

As for the cold throttle, been 12 days for me, it's a bit better but still feels like it could stall. This evening I went out, started the truck, the temp was 1/4 on the gauge so it was warm but it still lagged pretty bad.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I got the AEM last week on Wednesday. Since than I've driven about 2000 miles. Just returned from 600 mile trip to the white mountains. The only change I noticed is it seems to hold 5th thru 7th gear longer. I live in a semi rural area, the main roads have a 45 MPH limit and a stop sign every mile, before I could get my truck into 8th by getting up to about 47 MPH than backing off throttle now I need to get up over 50. I also noticed I could set the cruise at 26 MPH. Mileage is unaffected.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this subject,I thought this may be the best thread for my post.
I got my AEM tune a week ago. I have only driven my truck on my normal 25 mile RT commute which includes in town and a little freeway. There is some hills in that trip. So, I have not noticed any differences. I want to say it may lag a little more when I accelerate on the freeway but that may be me paying more attention to its performance. It runs right up to 70-75mph like it always has and there are also no problems moving when the light turns green. I think my mileage is the same but need to get some more miles to say for sure. I won't have a chance to load up for camping until next month but am hopeful I won't see any changes from last years' trips.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm 11-12 too, tuned and towing around 7500-8k, lot of frontal area on my 30' TH. Don't understand those with similar size trailers claiming 14ish.
My trailer weight is 5k to 5.5k and is 22.5 feet long ball to bumper. I run WD and only place our bikes in the back of the truck. I got 8-10 mpg with our 3.6L Pentastar Dodge Durango but admittedly I couldn't maintain speed going up every hill. The best I got with the Durango was 10 mpg and surprising that occurred on the only freeway driving we did at 65 MPH.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Major Dad, I see you live in Nibley, I'm curious as to where you had the AEM done since I live in Preston. that is if you don't mind my being nosey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts