RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, first let me say thanks to the many posters on this forum. I have learned a lot about my EcoDiesel but have only lurked until now.

I bought my EcoDiesel in January of this year. It is a 2015 Laramie with 115K miles. I have been a Ford guy forever and this is my first Ram vehicle. We really love this truck. It seemed to run well overall and though we had some initial issues and things that needed to be fixed i put some money into it and ended up with a beautiful ride. After a couple of months i did the GDE tune and liked my truck even more. The purpose of the purchase was to combine my other truck and car into a single vehicle. I planned to use it as a commuter (~30Kmi / yr), weekend offroader and occasional hauler.

In May i took it in for an oil change and the dealer flashed the ECU with the new AEM code. Following that they fixed a leaking waterneck and gasket, among other things. Except for the ECU flash they charged me for everything. The next day the truck half died driving on the freeway. I say half because it would go but was basically gutless. There was no way it could get over 70mph on the freeway and i pretty much limped home. I took it to a local dealer the next day.

The first problem turned out to be a totally gunked intake manifold due to a leaking EGR. After talking to them about the Settlement warranty they agreed to replace the entire EGR system plus the intake manifold. The advisor said that total was around $6K worth of work. Then they told me that i had some wiring connector issues and a couple of pieces of the harness needed to be replaced, along with a "bent" glow plug. Fine do all that too, i have a $3K check coming :)

While waiting for the wiring dongles to arrive they tried to remove the glow plug, which they claim was damaged, and were unable to get it off. Evidently it was spinning in the threads. They told me they would have to pull the head, which required pulling the cab, and that i would have to pay for the labor ($1900) and pay the machine shop to remove it. I said ok but noted that heads are a covered item under the Settlement warranty. Today i received a call from the dealer saying the machine shop could not get any of the three glow plugs out and that the threads in all three holes stripped off when they tried to remove them. i was told that the only solution was a new head, which would cost me $1100 (w/ $200 gasket!) and that i would have to pay since the one glow plug appeared to be damaged.

My position on this is that glow plugs are a maintenance item which are designed to be removed, therefore the head is defective and should be covered under the warranty. I believe the "damaged" glow plug was the result of a previous mechanic not being able to remove it. Does anyone see any issue with this? Has anyone had a problem with heads and glow plugs and can you share your result?

I did call FCA Customer Care and spoke with a woman who told me that they simply follow the dealers diagnosis and there is nothing they can do?! This is basically the same response i got when i called to ask for reimbursement for the coolant water neck, which is a specifically covered item under the warranty. Evidently that department is FCA Customer (Don't)Care.

Does anyone know if there is an EcoDiesel settlement warranty hotline that i can call? other suggestions? We are going to go have a sit down with the service manager later today. That should be fun.

BTW i notice there is a buyback clause in the settlement, which basically says after you have had your truck in four times and they can’t fix it after 30days cumulative loss of service times you can invoke a buyback. I suspect there are too many "if-thens" for this to be an option but i will bring it up.

Appreciate any advice,
Dan

Dead 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie EcoDiesel

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
Welcome. The problem with the glow plug replacement is the way it's recessed into the head leaving some exposed head threads to become corroded. I don't think FCA will cover a head replacement due to a glow plug issue. I don't see glow plugs included in the extended warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am fine paying for the glowplugs, it's the head i don't want to pay for. The heads *are* a warranty item. The only way i can see that the head is not a defective part is if FCA says the head was designed to have this problem and it is functioning as designed :-/

Dan

·
Registered
94 Posts
My 2016 just went in for glow plug issue, they snapped it trying to remove. They attempted to remove the remaining piece but were unable, luckily warranty will cover it. Waiting for a new head to arrive. Last month was 21 days for timing cover and turbo. Only 53k miles. I wouldn’t be happy paying out of pocket as all this stuff is in the thou$and$.

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
My 2016 just went in for glow plug issue, they snapped it trying to remove. They attempted to remove the remaining piece but were unable, luckily warranty will cover it. Waiting for a new head to arrive. Last month was 21 days for timing cover and turbo. Only 53k miles. I wouldn’t be happy paying out of pocket as all this stuff is in the thou$and$.
Is the post AEM extended warranty covering it?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m not sure what is covering it (powertrain, Maxcare or AEM) I have all three at this point.
Hi Kjkv, thanks for this input. I am assuming it's the same root issue but agree that they could be covering yours under the general warranty. If you get any additional information i would appreciate it. A warranty code would be ideal ;-) but i suspect you won't see that until you get the truck back with the invoice. Would you be willing to share the name of the dealer servicing your truck?

thank you, Dan

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Kjkv for the note on your dealer and what you are going through. Glad the warranty is covering you!

Just an update for the rest of the forum. I did have a frank discussion with the service manager about the head issue. The machine shop that tried to remove the glow plugs reported that all three sets of threads stripped out. That is not normal and at minimum is a design defect in the head. It should not cost the consumer $3000 to replace a glow plug. I know we don't get to see the data but the lawsuit obviously included the heads in the extended warranty for a reason.The district manager was supposed to be in town yesterday and she and the local service mgr were going to review the case.

If there hadn't been a lawsuit that gave Ecodiesel guys a new warranty i would have been completely screwed. FCA is already $6500 in for complete EGR and intake manifold replacement which is probably why they don't want to pay the $3000 for the head replacement. I really do love this truck and i like the diesel but i have never in my life bought a truck or any vehicle with 100K miles and had the motor just fall apart. Just a qualifier in case FCA is listening: we buy a *lot* of cars and trucks, probably 10 vehicles in the last 5 years, new and used. And i lived through the 70's. I bought my first new FCA vehicle ever this year, a Jeep Grand Cherokee, which is why i decided to give their trucks a try and bought a used one first. I am starting to wish i stayed with my Fords. I sold my 1993 F250 weekend truck after buying this one. It had 163,000 miles on a big gas engine and ran very well (it did get a transmission replaced though that was the only drivetrain issue ever). My sons 2002 F250 diesel has 170,000 miles and we honestly expect that truck to go 350,000 miles. Meanwhile my 2015 Ram has been in the shop for two months, still waiting for a wiring harness to come in. And the head to be fixed. and the thing to get put back together...

Have a good week all!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well as of this morning my Ram EcoDiesel head replacement (parts and labor) is officially covered under the AEM extended warranty! Super happy about that :) I believed the head should be covered under warranty but also recognize that this is a weird situation for the dealers when someone (like me) brings in a used truck that is out of standard warranty but has major issues that now appear to be covered by the new lawsuit / AEM warranty. I would like to publicly acknowledge and appreciate Michael Maxwell, service advisor, and Tony Salvemini, service manager, at Larry H. Miller Jeep in Tucson, for going to bat for me and making this happen. I originally went to the Jeep service desk because the Ram dealer down the road was booked out two weeks and we have had good service experience with our 2016 Grand Cherokee at Larry Miller Jeep. The future of the truck is still a bit of a question in my mind but i will definitely be a customer of LHM Jeep Tucson in the future.

Thanks for all the replies and help from this forum also!

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
Well as of this morning my Ram EcoDiesel head replacement (parts and labor) is officially covered under the AEM extended warranty! Super happy about that :) I believed the head should be covered under warranty but also recognize that this is a weird situation for the dealers when someone (like me) brings in a used truck that is out of standard warranty but has major issues that now appear to be covered by the new lawsuit / AEM warranty. I would like to publicly acknowledge and appreciate Michael Maxwell, service advisor, and Tony Salvemini, service manager, at Larry H. Miller Jeep in Tucson, for going to bat for me and making this happen. I originally went to the Jeep service desk because the Ram dealer down the road was booked out two weeks and we have had good service experience with our 2016 Grand Cherokee at Larry Miller Jeep. The future of the truck is still a bit of a question in my mind but i will definitely be a customer of LHM Jeep Tucson in the future.

That's GREAT news.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Glad to hear that your head replacement is covered under the AEM! I also had my EGR and intake replaced under the AEM, truck still isn't running right though. Make sure you are service records are accurate (dates in/out), if you keep having issues, it may be better to pursue a buyback from them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve been waiting for a new head for 2 weeks. Glow plug failed 1 week after AEM, turbo replacement and timing cover replacement last month. They snapped plug trying to remove it, 5 weeks in the shop during June-July. I wish they had the head in hand before trying to remove glow plug.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, thought I would send an update to the Forum. Haven't had much time to post but have been watching others AEM related issues and post-repair soul-(truck?) searching.

In our last chapter the shop broke a glow plug trying to remove it and ended up replacing the head under warranty. This was after replacing the intake manifold and complete EGR system. Once the head was installed I was still waiting for a piece of wiring harness that needed to be replaced. That arrived last week and the tech tried to start the truck. According to the service manager the truck was spewing diesel out of at least one of the injectors on the new head. After much back and forth with FCA the tech swapped out injectors between the sides of the motor and the problem went away. That is weird, btw, and I don't understand, unless somehow the injector(s) was installed wrong to begin with, if that is even possible. Or maybe i'm not getting the real story. At any rate the fuel leak is fixed and the truck started. Evidently it ran like crap. I know from talking to GDE that the ECM calibration requires the injector calibration codes be loaded for each cylinder. So when the service advisor explained that they were having to recalibrate the ECM I understood what he was talking about. That was a couple of days ago and no word since. I haven't heard yet today if the truck is operational but with the ED no news is not good news.

My truck went into the shop May 10, 3 months and 2 weeks so far. I have put ~7K miles on my loaner Grand Cherokee Limited so far. The Jeep is nice but it's no Laramie and I want my truck back!

I am also asking myself the same question as many of you: Should I keep my ED after the repair? The bottom line is that I actually got pretty much exactly the truck I wanted. It has the right color combination, a motor that delivers excellent mileage for a full-size truck while still having good torque and towing capacity, great interior, very nice looking inside and out... The only complaint i have is payload but it is a 1500, not an 2500. When I look at what else I could get I just end up back at the Ram ED. I can find the same truck with a Hemi or a 2500 with a Cummins but the first has crappy mileage and the other puts me back into a heavy duty truck. The other option is the EcoBoost F150 but I actually like the Ram better, despite being a lifetime Ford guy (this is my first Ram experience, btw). I have also looked at the leftover 2018 models and I can find a new one but ugh on the price. So, I am calling the dealer after this and will let y'all know what happens.

Safe travels.

·
Super Moderator
2,719 Posts
Thanks for the update and the positive attitude. If it were me I’d most likely move on if they ever get it repaired. One truck you haven’t mentioned is the 2020 ED with what is supposed to be a revised emissions system and engine.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I’ve been driving a Hemi all summer because of a similar glow plug issue. My hand calculated mileage has averaged 21 mpg, my ED was averaging 24mpg, based on fuel prices in my area the price per mile is the same. Although I have found the Hemi has a throttle response problem too...if you mash it you might go sideways!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the update and the positive attitude. If it were me I’d most likely move on if they ever get it repaired. One truck you haven’t mentioned is the 2020 ED with what is supposed to be a revised emissions system and engine.
Yes, the 2020 is pretty interesting. The big issue is that I bought my truck 3 yrs old so about half price compared to new ($55K list). I put a little bit down but jumping to a new one would pretty much double my payment. By looking at a leftover 2018 I can possibly get a much better deal since dealers want to get rid of those, albeit with the gen 2 (?) ED. If they get mine running I will most likely drive for a bit and put the GDE tune back in if it seems like it is going to keep running. At this point my biggest worry is actually bearings since it didn't get tuned until I got it with 115K miles on it. The intake was clearly clogged, makes me wonder about the bottom end which for some reason is not covered under the AEM warranty.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts