RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’ve been driving a Hemi all summer because of a similar glow plug issue. My hand calculated mileage has averaged 21 mpg, my ED was averaging 24mpg, based on fuel prices in my area the price per mile is the same. Although I have found the Hemi has a throttle response problem too...if you mash it you might go sideways!
Can you give me some details of your driving style and speed? I actually can't believe a Hemi can get 21mpg, except for maybe downhill with a tailwind and in neutral! Mileage was a main reason for buying the ED but I have only achieved a best of 23mpg *with* the GDE tune. I drive 90% hwy at 75-80mph. Tires are 34" tall vs stock ~33", other than that it is stock afaik. If I could get a Hemi to crack 20mpg (even 18-19 would work) then I can offset the mileage difference with fuel cost difference. I don't tow often enough to matter. I just can't believe it will do it...

Thanks!

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
I’ve been driving a Hemi all summer because of a similar glow plug issue. My hand calculated mileage has averaged 21 mpg, my ED was averaging 24mpg, based on fuel prices in my area the price per mile is the same. Although I have found the Hemi has a throttle response problem too...if you mash it you might go sideways!
That's great mileage. My brother has a 2018 and we both vacationed together this summer (1700 miles) in separate trucks. My best hand calculated was 30.7 and his was 18.8.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just an update for everyone here. Following receipt of all missing parts the shop put the truck back together and got it started last Thursday. The truck would run for 30s - 1min and then shut off. They verified the behavior was consistent over the next couple of days. After running a "complete scan" the diagnosis is to replace the passenger cylinder head. The killer is that the part is backordered until Nov. 19. My truck has been at the dealer since May 12. At this point I am going to start the buyback process as I don't know what else to do. Had we all known when this started FCA could have dropped a new engine into the vehicle and been done with it.

:-(

·
Administrator
10,098 Posts
Just an update for everyone here. Following receipt of all missing parts the shop put the truck back together and got it started last Thursday. The truck would run for 30s - 1min and then shut off. They verified the behavior was consistent over the next couple of days. After running a "complete scan" the diagnosis is to replace the passenger cylinder head. The killer is that the part is backordered until Nov. 19. My truck has been at the dealer since May 12. At this point I am going to start the buyback process as I don't know what else to do. Had we all known when this started FCA could have dropped a new engine into the vehicle and been done with it.

:-(
That's awful. Thanks for the update and good luck with the buyback.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Yes, the 2020 is pretty interesting. The big issue is that I bought my truck 3 yrs old so about half price compared to new ($55K list). I put a little bit down but jumping to a new one would pretty much double my payment. By looking at a leftover 2018 I can possibly get a much better deal since dealers want to get rid of those, albeit with the gen 2 (?) ED. If they get mine running I will most likely drive for a bit and put the GDE tune back in if it seems like it is going to keep running. At this point my biggest worry is actually bearings since it didn't get tuned until I got it with 115K miles on it. The intake was clearly clogged, makes me wonder about the bottom end which for some reason is not covered under the AEM warranty.
I believe the facts show there is no impact on the bearing failure issue one way or the other with the GDE tune. If my memory is correct they have posted that opinion on this forum some years ago. The point is don't worry that the bearing issue is any different with a late installed tune vs an earl;y installed tune.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have to be honest with you Kjkv, I have a 2015 Eco with ~49000 miles and just had the AEM software update. The truck now has a LOT of turbo lag as well as the mileage has fallen off by 3-5 mpg on the average. BTW that is using the travel computer and the average that is displayed on the screen, and I am trusting it. Maybe I need to do the math to make sure its right. To the point, I am very worried that this truck will cost me thousands if there is an issue with it. I have an extended warranty to ~125,000 miles and of course the list of items covered by the AEM is extensive but I am still not very comfortable with all of the issues that you are having. The issue of you having to dump thousands of cash into your truck with only 120,000 miles and it being a diesel is a bit scary. Can you tell me how much you have into this venture so far?

Greg

·
Registered
94 Posts
I haven’t paid a dime for anything. I’m at 54k so I still have power train coverage, FCA gave me Maxcare when they falsely accused me of contaminated fuel and now I have the AEM warranty. I would guess the repairs over the past 18 months have totaled over $20k. Complete fuel system, timing cover, turbo and head. I would never own one of these without a warranty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
<snip> I am very worried that this truck will cost me thousands if there is an issue with it. I have an extended warranty to ~125,000 miles and of course the list of items covered by the AEM is extensive but I am still not very comfortable with all of the issues that you are having. The issue of you having to dump thousands of cash into your truck with only 120,000 miles and it being a diesel is a bit scary. Can you tell me how much you have into this venture so far?

Greg
According to the dealer I am at ~$10,000 now or just under: complete EGR system (valve, cooler, etc), new intake manifold, new cylinder head, all installed in that order so no labor consolidation. Now they are saying another cylinder head so add ~$3K. I too am worried about long term reliability of items not covered by warranty though I appreciate the post from Howie12 saying the bearings are a separate issue from the EGR system operation. At any rate an "availability" date of Nov 19 for a cylinder head means I might have a truck in Dec and that doesn't really work for me so I am going to investigate the buyback route.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This thread is precisely why I have waited on the AEM. Been battling the PO6BC since 2/28 and for 21,000 miles now. Daily reset when engine hot so auto-start feature will work. AEM could possibly cause this code to pop up once restarted then I am out since CEL is triggered. Trust integrity of my dealer yet understand the thread issue and head back order worst case. No interest in potential 'buyback' yet would like to have some warranty since I am high mileage.

Since I live in Florida GP issue not a major concern during the Summer. Remains an enigma for me...suggestions/options?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Finally got my truck back with my new head, 45 days in the shop, without warranty it would have been $7,000 for a glow plug!
Awesome! Glad to hear it :) Interesting notes on the invoice. Timing 180 degrees out... My new head had the same injector leaking issue. Also, in my case the tech didn't seem to be aware that the ECU is calibrated using the codes from the injectors so they had to rebuild the calibration to get it to run right, for the 30sec it would run until it shuts off. (I learned about the injector codes from my GDE experience.)

Also, did everyone notice the comment "Found Star Case #S1609000001 referring to replacing of head for broken glow plug." That should be useful to others who experience the glow plug issue since under the AEM warranty the heads are covered!

btw dealer told me yesterday that they had found a passenger side head at another dealer in TX and that they were getting it this week. So while I feel like there is a 50:50 chance the thing will run now it does mean that the motor will be new from the block up. Too bad they didn't figure this out before they started installing parts. It would have been cheaper and easier to install a completely new motor.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Finally got my truck back with my new head, 45 days in the shop, without warranty it would have been $7,000 for a glow plug!
Awesome! Glad to hear it ? Interesting notes on the invoice. Timing 180 degrees out... My new head had the same injector leaking issue. Also, in my case the tech didn't seem to be aware that the ECU is calibrated using the codes from the injectors so they had to rebuild the calibration to get it to run right, for the 30sec it would run until it shuts off. (I learned about the injector codes from my GDE experience.)

Also, did everyone notice the comment "Found Star Case #S1609000001 referring to replacing of head for broken glow plug." That should be useful to others who experience the glow plug issue since under the AEM warranty the heads are covered!

btw dealer told me yesterday that they had found a passenger side head at another dealer in TX and that they were getting it this week. So while I feel like there is a 50:50 chance the thing will run now it does mean that the motor will be new from the block up. Too bad they didn't figure this out before they started installing parts. It would have been cheaper and easier to install a completely new motor.
Yes, I thought it was interesting that the timing was off by 180, I can’t imagine running it like that for very long does any good. It also looks like they broke the other 2 plugs in the head during the repair, I guess it didn’t matter at that point, over time it seems these seized plugs are going to become more of a problem. Good luck getting yours back! Getting the parts seems to be the biggest challenge.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 CC 4x4
5,436 Posts
$7000 is very quickly approaching the cost of a complete engine replacement, which would include new HPFP turbo etc. I will keep in mind that if I ever have to pay for something akin to this, out of pocket, on this truck im likely going to opt for a new motor! Of course I will keep the valuable parts off the old one, HPFP injectors, turbo etc.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts