RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the AEM done. It's been years since I was an aggressive driver. My current ED has had the throttle wide open on just one occasion, during an intake icing event that resulted in a derated turbo and a CEL. I learned then that part throttle and working with the load would overcome the derated turbo and allow better engine operation.

My truck has always had cold lag....always. Since the AEM update it is not better. There it is ... I have it and it's the same is it has always been.

I have always driven by rolling in on the throttle. Even cold, if I tap the throttle to get the engine moving, then roll in on the throttle as load builds, I can get into traffic and stay ahead of it with no trouble. Climbing hills ... tap it and then back off .... the engine will build the rpm and stay there if as long as I am not trying to mash the pedal down thru' the floorboards.

I have not found that this diesel engine runs like my gassers ... the gassers like lots of air and lots of fuel right off idle. They love big fat accelerator pumps and throttle valve plates parallel to the air flow. This truck doesn't. It likes to build and maintain load steadily.

For those who wonder about city driving ... yes, I live in the boonies, but I regularly visit my Mom in a city of about a million people with eight lane freeways and the usual on/off ramps etc ..... the truck runs fine, as long as I work with the load and don't try to bully it by tramping the pedal down.

That's my experience .... yours may vary.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I agree. Roll in the throttle and it will go on demand hot or cold.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same experience here. Since new, flooring it does nothing. It just stares at you for a second then goes.

I was taught to drive smoothly. Roll on the throttle, brake gently, set the vehicle before you go into a corner and gently accelerate out. Everything smooth.

I'm two weeks in with the AEM. The truck drives exactly the same, no difference other than it likes 7th gear over 8th more than before. My average mileage is exactly the same, 21.5 in Seattle traffic.

GDE tune arrives Monday :)

·
Registered
766 Posts
John, I'm the same type of driver as you and that's how I have always driven this truck. Unfortunately the AEM has drastically changed that for some of us. We're talking about no acceleration for up to hundreds of feet before the engine surges...doesn't matter whether you're rolling on the throttle or not.

Count yourselves lucky...or us unlucky.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, I'm the same type of driver as you and that's how I have always driven this truck. Unfortunately the AEM has drastically changed that for some of us. We're talking about no acceleration for up to hundreds of feet before the engine surges...doesn't matter whether you're rolling on the throttle or not.

Count yourselves lucky...or us unlucky.
You have my sympathy, and I assure you that my post is not meant as a criticism in any way of those who are reporting issues (I know you didn't suggest that either, but I want to be clear). It was to give another point of view, so that people who read these forums will know that not ALL of you are having problems. Both sides deserve to be heard. I wish you the best in your repair adventure. If a GDE tune can solve other people's problems, then that's the way to go. GDE seems to have a rock solid reputation to back up their product. Myself .... I'll wait for now and use up a couple of more years of my seven years of warranty :)

cheers

·
Registered
10 Posts
Something is definitely fishy with the AEM, such drastic differences in what owners are experiencing after the update. I was expecting the worst and came out smelling like a rose.

Is it related to vehicle mileage? Soot build up? My truck is at 32,000 miles, majority of the miles are on the highway. Does that produce less build up on the EGR tube?

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Many will profit from your throttle tip. Good.

Only thing about driving with the EGR working is ... the EGR is working. That is trouble for your engine and not easily cleaned and delt with. Hope yours can handle the next couple of years.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something is definitely fishy with the AEM, such drastic differences in what owners are experiencing after the update. I was expecting the worst and came out smelling like a rose.

Is it related to vehicle mileage? Soot build up? My truck is at 32,000 miles, majority of the miles are on the highway. Does that produce less build up on the EGR tube?
I would guess that 75% or more of my driving is highway at 50 - 60 mph. My truck almost always runs long enough to get to full operating temperature and stay there for at least 10 or 15 minutes, usually longer. At least every two months it goes on a 500 mile (one way, so 1000 miles total) highway trip with cruise on at 60mph. My tailpipe is almost soot free.

I agree ... the disparity between AEM results is pretty screwy.

·
Registered
123 Posts

Most of my miles are highway, local 2 lane roads here are mostly 70 MPH freeway 80 MPH, I drive the speed limit. When I pulled my EGR tube at 25,000 miles the soot on the end of the EGR tube was approximately 3/16" thick. My assumption, everything I couldn't see likely looks the same. GDE and delete now so hopefully it is stable from here on out.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 16 is a short trip, daily driver that gets up to operating temp on most trips but sees 65 miles per hour maybe once a month. At my present rate I am averaging less than 5,000 miles a year. No codes and stock. Go figure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts