RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Over $300 to get zero HP and torque gains? Modern ECU will not allow benefits of more intake, so freer flowing filter is not likely to do anything. Only if many other downstream changes are made might this have a small impact. Separate posts show the danger caused by oil based air filters letting more dirt into engine. Not sure if this is oil based filter like K&N or quality traditional paper/synthetic media filter.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Over $300 to get zero HP and torque gains? Modern ECU will not allow benefits of more intake, so freer flowing filter is not likely to do anything. Only if many other downstream changes are made might this have a small impact. Separate posts show the danger caused by oil based air filters letting more dirt into engine. Not sure if this is oil based filter like K&N or quality traditional paper/synthetic media filter.
Looks like they have both wet and dry filter offerings.

Reactions: Rollin Smoke Diesel

·
Registered
827 Posts
The whole cold air intake idea is silly. At a stop light it might cool intake air a smidgen but once you get moving there's all sorts of ambient air flow into the engine bay so a couple hundred $$ of aftermarket plastic isn't going to cool the air charge any more then the carefully designed OEM solution.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
CAI systems in general are bunk...doesn't matter who/what car/truck. been proven over and over and over again. save your money.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can anyone confirm how this particular diesel ECM works? Can it or will it make use if extra air.
I will surely let you know once we get our '14. We are totally unbiased, if there is no benefit to a product, I'll let you know. Diesel enthusiast first, salesman second lol

·
Registered
13,970 Posts
Now we're talking.

Get the unit on an Eco and do a dynamometer test. I would love 12 more horsepower if it did not stress the fuel management like the tuner boxes do. Check on torque changes also. That's what we tow with.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bought an Amsoil dry filter due to its superior filtration capabilities. Have not noticed any change in performance at all.

·
Registered
701 Posts
If gains were that easy to come by, manufacturers would put a slightly smaller engine in cars to get the final desired Hp and torque. This would also offer them emissions savings, if it worked. There is a reason the OEM didn't take the easy route. Same with tuner boxes, if all they had to do was add a $200 box to get power and fuel savings, they would make standard, with a slightly smaller engine, and avoid hundreds of millions in R&D investment that the Govt makes them do. Similar to tonneau covers...if they offered even 2% fuel savings, let alone 10%, our trucks would come standard with covers and only option to delete it. These type of gains in power and or economy don't come easy or cheap.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Oilblecher, I agree with you on everything but the tuner. What they also have to do is meet EPA requirements, even worse California EPA requirements. This limits tunes. The ability to go outside the emission frees up a lot of power.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts