RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ecodiesel-scorcher-2.jpg

Soon to be released is the aFe POWER Scorcher Tuner Module for the RAM 1500 EcoDiesel. Features include a Tri-Mode Toggle Switch enabling the Module to be set in 1 of 3 modes:
Stock – Factory Tune – No Adjustments
Stage 1 – Increased Power from Fuel Pressure Adjustments
Stage 2 – Maximum Power – Additional Boost and Fuel Pressure
Power and torque delivery are noticeable, and great care was taken for vehicle drivability, with improved throttle response and turbo spool.

ecodiesel-scorcher-1.jpg

A blue LED indicates the unit is on and working, and Velcro tape will be included to allow for easy installation and removal for placement among any flat surface. A perfect mounting solution is on the heat shield of the aFe Stage 2 Intake System, which is a perfect pairing for this Scorcher Module. A package will be available for additional savings.

ecodiesel-scorcher-3.jpg

Many enthusiasts have stated they would prefer to remove the module for servicing at the dealership, and aFe has made this extremely convenient with the use of a terminated wiring harness, allowing you to install onto the connectors at the back of the engine once, and connecting the module to the harness on the other end, all utilizing plug and play connectors. This works like factory, without having to crimp or splice any wires, and is completely removable.

ecodiesel-scorcher-4.jpg

aFe has thought of everything, including providing a bypass connector to cap off the harness when you remove the tuner, making the swap extremely easy to do, just seconds versus having to mess with the sensor connectors in the back. When you want to remove the unit, simply unplug the module, remove it via the Velcro strip, plug the bypass connector in, and tuck the wires. The module leaves no digital footprint in the ECU, and is undetectable by dealerships. This unit works well with even the latest RAM ECU updates, with no issues during testing.

Expected release of the aFe POWER Scorcher Tuning Module is May 1st.

Ecodiesel-scorcher-dyno-screenshot-picture.jpg

·
Registered
424 Posts
Pute me down for one lol, have some questions how much? Also any improvement in mpg, and release date on the oil filter?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pute me down for one lol, have some questions how much? Also any improvement in mpg, and release date on the oil filter?
Haha nice, will do.

Well on the mpg, we cannot make claims on improvement for fuel efficiency without doing multiple tests involving the EPA. You are more then welcome to make your own claims, but as a company standpoint we can't.

The oil filter is now available! :D

·
Registered
119 Posts
Interested! I like the fact you have included the harness so you only have to get to the wiring once! Looks like a nice product.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interested! I like the fact you have included the harness so you only have to get to the wiring once! Looks like a nice product.
It is quite a convenient feature to have, less frustrations of having to repeat that process more then once for sure.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I Too am in,will it come with a dyno sheet showing the torque and HP gains? the combo pkg. sounds very interesting, and pleade go easy on shipping to the large ecodiesel crowd north of the 49th..parallel..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Any testing done towing? The extra power will be nice but under load will exhaust temps get to high?
We have not yet tested for towing, being there is too many variables when it comes to EGT's. Steep hill climbs, weather temperature, load, etc, but more then not if you are pulling a heavy load, at a step hill on a hot day EGT's will climb. But on a cool level'd drive with a lighter load the EGT's will be lower. The beauty of the Scorcher tuner, there is a simple switch that you can use to revert the truck back to stock if this is a concern :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I Too am in,will it come with a dyno sheet showing the torque and HP gains? the combo pkg. sounds very interesting, and pleade go easy on shipping to the large ecodiesel crowd north of the 49th..parallel..
I can personally email you a dyno sheet if you choose to purchase then unit.

But we'll try to go easy on you guys ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the response, but I guess my question should be will this tuner raise EGT's? Either towing or not. Have you done back to back testing in all 3 modes and monitored EGT's? I really want one of these, but want to make sure its safe when hooking up a trailer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the response, but I guess my question should be will this tuner raise EGT's? Either towing or not. Have you done back to back testing in all 3 modes and monitored EGT's? I really want one of these, but want to make sure its safe when hooking up a trailer.
Depending on the situation, the increased boost and fuel can raise EGT's. There are a wide variety of variables, load, towing, air temperature, etc. that can affect the EGT's, regardless of a tuner. It's great that you are monitoring them, that should always happen when towing. Our testing has not affected the EGT's to any point of alarm or concern. For us to make a blanket statement about your EGT's when towing, there are again too many variables to just say "it's fine". You would need to monitor, and if they were getting excessive, you have the complete option of switching back to the base tune.

·
Registered
39 Posts
aFe, I'm assuming these gains you posted in the dyno plot are with both the intake and tuner but would like to verify as it is not specified in your original message. If the plot is just from the tuner can we get an image of the test trucks plot with both products applied please. Thanks for the time!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds good, really looking forward to hearing real world feed back. I have the AFE intake just need the tuner to match.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aFe, I'm assuming these gains you posted in the dyno plot are with both the intake and tuner but would like to verify as it is not specified in your original message. If the plot is just from the tuner can we get an image of the test trucks plot with both products applied please. Thanks for the time!
I do apologize for not clarifying on that. The first test truck which is the lead engineer's personal EcoDiesel, has all the bolt-on's from aFe on the vehicle. This is the typical path of owners looking for performance, specifically tuning. They will have intake and exhaust upgrades to maximize airflow and efficiency.
When we have the opportunity we will go back and re-dyno the vehicle without, but the percentage of gains over stock would be the same.

Sounds good, really looking forward to hearing real world feed back. I have the AFE intake just need the tuner to match.
Our test truck is a daily driver and testing has been occurring for months. One thing the engineer noted, once you add the Scorcher tuner, going back to stock will be a let down, as the drivability is improved with the Scorcher. Throttle response is crisp, and you can feel more power and torque when you really need it around the 2500 to 3000 RPM range.

Fuel efficiency we don't talk about as I stated before, without actual proof from the EPA that any incremental gains were achieved. Those claims would not mean much, but with our truck fuel economy did not suffer. We all know even driver to driver fuel economy can vary wildly. If you stand on the gas at every light you'll get what you get.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
AFE is avoiding that question.

They have been asked what the price is and refuse to say???

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's not released yet, I'm sure is the reason why.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What will the price be?
AFE is avoiding that question.

They have been asked what the price is and refuse to say???
Sorry for the delay, we're not avoiding anything, you simply caught us over a weekend and there was a track day and unable to get back to this thread. The pricing for the Scorcher unit will be $425.00.

For those looking to be one of the first, we also have a package with the upcoming aFe Momentum Sealed Air Intake Kit that is also due to be released soon, they run $395.00.

But together we'll do an introductory price of $695.00 for the pair. We want to get these out into the market for people to enjoy and talk about.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I would be in for that deal. Any idea on additional games from the intake? Or were those dyno sheets with the intake? how does it sound with the intake on a bit louder?

1 - 20 of 166 Posts