RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking everywhere to found out if the after cooler is Air to Air or is it Liquid cold. Can someone that has Got there truck answer that for me?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
A factory diesel will have a nice big air unit up front. The liquid stuff is for a sport application. (or a boat)

·
Registered
438 Posts
As the Doc said, the factory unit is an air to air intercooler. Even when a liquid cooler is used, it is in a limited capacity like drag racing.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toyota uses a liquid cooler on there superchargers. I just have not see the pluming so that is why I was asking.

Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Turbo timer. Be done with it.
Waste o' money flashy doo-dad IMO.

Never had any issues with any FI cars/trucks I've owned or converted (several with over 100k of use) just by staying out of boost before parking (1/4 mile or so) or letting it idle for 15-30 seconds before shutdown.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I go by my pre-turbo pyro on my CRD. 250 to 300, I shut it down.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,518 Posts

Never had any issues with any FI cars/trucks I've owned or converted (several with over 100k of use) just by staying out of boost before parking (1/4 mile or so) or letting it idle for 15-30 seconds before shutdown.

I agree. Syth oils can generally take the heat of the turbo, on shut down... and not burn/coke. On my turbo cars... the only time I would worry about a cool down cycle was when I was on the race track.

·
Registered
274 Posts

It was $120 which in the grand scheme of things isn't much of anything. I've pulled trailers or been empty on the highways around here and EGTs are still over 500* when I get in my driveway.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It was $120 which in the grand scheme of things isn't much of anything. I've pulled trailers or been empty on the highways around here and EGTs are still over 500* when I get in my driveway.
Where did you get your timer, brand, model and where does it plug into? Was looking into a remote start that has a turbo timer option.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have the Edge insight CTS it's an electronic gauge monitor that plugs into the OBDII port. I bought the touch screen one for $400 there is another one called the insight CS that's $300. I bought an EGT probe and put it in the manifold. There is one in the DPF that you can use but that is after the turbo and the temps are quite lower, 2-300 lower and not as accurate. Lastly I bought the turbo timer it's at most $150. It plugs into the fuse box in the cabin and replaces 3 fuses that wire into the sensor.

All together it's $6-700 but I bought the gauges anyway and the EGT probe so the timer was only an extra $120 through a friend. All of this is front edge products and only took and hour to install all of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts