RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and Gals,

I bought an air filter a while ago and have been meaning to change the filter. Truck now has 36,000 miles and weather was nice so decided to do it today. I was not happy with what I found. More than a handful of mouse drass in the air box upstream of filter. Lots of grass, fur, dust and sand in filter. A few pleats with the tops chewed off. Not good at all. Appeared clean downstream of the filter. Also will take oil samples and send them in today at about 8000 miles on oil. Pics attached. The one on the tailgate is what came out of the filter with tapping it. ANyhow, if you live in mouse country it is worth checking the air filter a few times in the fall I think. Seems like inlet should have some kind of screen to prevent this from happening. Also wonder what the insurance company would say?

P1010224.JPG P1010225.JPG P1010226.JPG P1010227.JPG

ANyone else find this?

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
All the time in my tractors and trucks that sit for awhile, be happy they didn't have lunch on your wires, but I would look for wire damage myself.

·
Registered
477 Posts
had a buddy with an atv... mice made a nest in the air intake used to cool the belt

he replaced 2 belts (one dealer one him) before figuring out the intake was restricted

micey not nicey

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the time in my tractors and trucks that sit for awhile, be happy they didn't have lunch on your wires, but I would look for wire damage myself.
yes, on the mercedes they ate off the wires to the power seats and now there is no power to the HVAC fan. ANyhow, house addition and garage now being finished so it will be in the garage for this fall and winter.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had a buddy with an atv... mice made a nest in the air intake used to cool the belt

he replaced 2 belts (one dealer one him) before figuring out the intake was restricted

micey not nicey
yup, had that too on a Polaris Sportsman and clutch all rusted up and had to replace the whole shebang.

I need to cultivate weasels I guess. There was one around for a couple weeks this winter and no mice in the trapline but then it left and didn't come back and soon had mice in the traps again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Would be nice to figure out how they get in. I had a little bit in mine. My wife's car gets them a lot more, closer to the ground and she does not drive as much as me.
In her last car I was checking fluids and while I had the hood up I had one run across the engine.

Let me know if you figure out how to keep some weasel's around I could use one or 2 as well:D.

·
Administrator
4,550 Posts
Not on this truck...did have mice make a nest in battery tray on the 2003 using firewall insulation...had pinkies in it when I found it...trapped the exterior and interior of garage and caught way too many to count. Has not been an issue for some time as I think the neighbors barn cat is patrolling the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
In my previous job, I worked with a doctor who owned a beautiful Porsche Cayenne S. He started having random electrical issues that started with his ABS system, and ended 4 days later with the rig fully inoperable. Turned out that mice had chewed his entire wiring harness, and he had to have the whole thing replaced. It ended up costing him close to 7,000 Canadian pesos when it was all said and done. Apparently the Germains make some very tasty wires.

·
Registered
178 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,559 Posts
Found nest in my cabin air filter along with another nest in the cowl of my other vehicle last spring. Now I keep traps under the ED and car. Damn mice.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Take a look at Genosgarage.com

Cab fresh filter kit. It's an exterior filter. Covers up the hols leading into the cab.
image.png image.jpeg

QUOTE=SlightEco;150155]Would be nice to figure out how they get in. I had a little bit in mine. My wife's car gets them a lot more, closer to the ground and she does not drive as much as me.
In her last car I was checking fluids and while I had the hood up I had one run across the engine.

Let me know if you figure out how to keep some weasel's around I could use one or 2 as well:D.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After I found the air filter problem I took two oil samples and sent one to Blackstone and one to Oil Analyzers which is affiliated with amsoil. The oil analyzers report came back today and I have posted it below. 7707 miles on oil and 37727 miles on truck Not great but not horrible. I will change oil early next week and hope to have blacksone's results soon. Both were mailed the same day and both addresses were in Indianapolis. Both were sending results via email. View attachment oiltest4_00001.pdf

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After I found the air filter problem I took two oil samples and sent one to Blackstone and one to Oil Analyzers which is affiliated with amsoil. The oil analyzers report came back today and I have posted it below. 7707 miles on oil and 37727 miles on truck Not great but not horrible. I will change oil early next week and hope to have blackstone's results soon. Both were mailed the same day and both addresses were in Indianapolis. Both were sending results via email.

View attachment 14521
blackstone's results received today and attached below. I have also posted in the oil analysis results thread and put comments there but wanted to post here also. I changed the oil 1000 miles after these analyses after I replaced the airfilter and sent off a sample for testing. I am anxious to see its results to see how things changed with another 1000 miles but an undamaged air filter. I'll post when I get the results.

All the best,

View attachment blackstone_00004.pdf

1 - 15 of 15 Posts