RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a ton of research on the rear suspension of our trucks, spring rates are 155lb in the rear stock… WHAT! That means if I put a cooler and some chairs in the back it'll drop the truck 1 inch! Our trucks also use extremely large bumpstops to act as additional spring rate when we get the truck loaded. If you are on these bumpstops, your truck rides terrible. Rebound is sharp, compression is like hitting a wall.

So after researching viable options and talking to a few spring companies, I decided to go with a air bag assist setup. Air Lift has a setup that is a poly bag that goes inside of the spring. Pretty sweet setup. Installed in 45 minutes with literally a drill, wooden stick, and a couple zip ties to hold the lines.

Basically the bag sits inside the spring, and when you air the bag up it fills the gaps between each coil effectively raising spring rate. Its so simple… But yet totally effective. You can now hitch you trailer, air the bags up to level it, then put stuff in the bed, or people in the truck, ect.

I would totally recommend this to anyone actually using the truck for a purpose. Paid $90 on amazon… You'd be silly not to have it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Actually our trucks use tiny bump stops. I replaced mine with Timbren Stops and have had zero problems comfort wise. But I am coming from a 3500 so this truck feels and handles like a sports car in comparison.

What you found sounds interesting and cheap forward the link if you don't mine.

My Timbren are the black ones the factory are the yellow ones. And like I said mine feels smooth all the time loaded or empty.
214d1396705819-just-added-nerf-bars-tint-mud-flaps-window-visors-timbern-bump-stops-20140403_083.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
Air lift bags are great. I can even level my truck out with the utility trailer and skid steer on the back.

Wouldnt be without them. I run 5psi empty

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I did a ton of research on the rear suspension of our trucks, spring rates are 155lb in the rear stock… WHAT! That means if I put a cooler and some chairs in the back it'll drop the truck 1 inch! Our trucks also use extremely large bumpstops to act as additional spring rate when we get the truck loaded. If you are on these bumpstops, your truck rides terrible. Rebound is sharp, compression is like hitting a wall.

So after researching viable options and talking to a few spring companies, I decided to go with a air bag assist setup. Air Lift has a setup that is a poly bag that goes inside of the spring. Pretty sweet setup. Installed in 45 minutes with literally a drill, wooden stick, and a couple zip ties to hold the lines.

Basically the bag sits inside the spring, and when you air the bag up it fills the gaps between each coil effectively raising spring rate. Its so simple… But yet totally effective. You can now hitch you trailer, air the bags up to level it, then put stuff in the bed, or people in the truck, ect.

I would totally recommend this to anyone actually using the truck for a purpose. Paid $90 on amazon… You'd be silly not to have it.
Exactly what kind of cooler and chairs are you hauling that weigh 155 pounds?!

...are you're suggesting that these trucks will not haul their weighted rates?

...and have you factored in the progressive rate of the springs?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You can't look at the spring rates as in a straight 155 lbs. (if that's the number) As they compress... they take more weight to compress that next inch.

So... the real question is... how far are they already compressed?

One thing I've noticed is... I can put my light jetski trailer on the back, and it sits almost level. (I can pick up the tongue) Then... I hitch up my boat... and it sinks the same amount. So... that leads me to believe that they are variable rate springs.

Regardless.... YES... air bags are a great add-on.

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
I installed the Air Lift 1000 bags the week I got my truck. They work great to keep the truck from squatting when pulling my boat (about 8,500 lb with trailer, probably 1,200 lb tongue weight). The other 360 days of the year I let the air down to 5-10lb and the truck rides like stock. They took me about 2 hours to install. I drilled next to the rear license plate for the filler valve so it's convenient to air them up.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I've ran AirLift on my last 3 trucks dating back to the mid 90's. Never had any problems at all. We've used them at work on our service trucks. At some point, I'll most likely get a set for the Ram.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a set in my 2010 ram 1500 & love them....I run 5lbs empty and 20lbs loaded - the ride is very good....and toes like a champ without any rear sag....

·
Registered
827 Posts
What is everyone using to pump these up?
I didn't want to install a pump because it would just add failure points. My bags go to a T then to a nozzle fastened to the rear hitch. I think there's a pic in my thread linked above. I use a Black and Decker 12V/120v air pump. You can set the pressure on it so I just set it for 35psi and finish hooking up the trailer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Of course its 155lb per inch. so 2 inches would be 310, 3 would be 465, ect... ect...

Factory bump stops start to work at about 4 inches.

I said cooler and some chairs because my 36" cooler loaded is probably about 80lbs, then some chairs and a tent can make it about 150lbs. Slight exaggeration, agreed.

Either way, Just trying to say that if you haul heavy stuff in the bed or any trailers its the best $90 you will spend. Plus the truck handles better with the bags 5-8 psi unloaded.

Amazon.com: AIR LIFT 60818 1000 Series Rear Air Spring Kit: Automotive

·
Registered
154 Posts
Rookie question: Does it matter how tall your springs are? Say if you have a 4 or 6 inch lift.. From looking at the comparability chart I'm guessing no due to the wide range of vehicles this model fits.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Of course its 155lb per inch. so 2 inches would be 310, 3 would be 465, ect... ect...
So we don't cause confusion re. weight and droop, everyone should keep in mind that 2 springs means twice the spring rate. So if the spring rate of 155lbs/in is correct then the over-all spring rate of the truck's rear end would be 310lbs/in. Therefore 310lbs on the rear axle would cause 1" of rear droop.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So we don't cause confusion re. weight and droop, everyone should keep in mind that 2 springs means twice the spring rate. So if the spring rate of 155lbs/in is correct then the over-all spring rate of the truck's rear end would be 310lbs/in. Therefore 310lbs on the rear axle would cause 1" of rear droop.
Of course. Keep forgetting I am not on a racing forum! lol.

These should work on a lifted truck as well, BUT you will need to get taller ones to match the spring length. Air Lift can supply those.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wouldn't go with out them with the coils on the rear. I fill mine with a compressor in my garage but a small pump would work. 30lbs for a load 5-7lbs unloaded. I did not T mine however, I talked to a guy who put them on the front for a snow plow and he said that when the air lines were T'ed it would transfer the air to the opposite side of the blade when angled. It is probably not a big deal on the rear but could shift a little while cornering or with a offcenter load. Just my 2 cents.
I highly recommend these for anyone towing a trailer or putting heavy loads in the bed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts