RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at replacing the front shocks on my truck with Bilstein 5100s. The issue is I can't find anything anywhere about changing the front shocks if you have the factory air ride suspension. Sto I'm looking for advice/ suggestions on how best to go about doing it. Anyone that has done this, what recommendations do you have and what issues were there if any?

Reactions: Strider

·
Registered
162 Posts
Looking at replacing the front shocks on my truck with Bilstein 5100s. The issue is I can't find anything anywhere about changing the front shocks if you have the factory air ride suspension. Sto I'm looking for advice/ suggestions on how best to go about doing it. Anyone that has done this, what recommendations do you have and what issues were there if any?
I don’t think anyone on here has done this, but a couple of us have discussed. FWIW, all aftermarket rear shocks say they will not work with factory rear suspension and they do. There is someone on this forum who disassembled their front air suspension and took lots of measurements and it appeared as if the Bilstein 5100 would be a direct fit. Replacement is similar to that of a coil sprung truck-they slide right into a sleeve inside the air bag. The Rebel has air suspension and bilstein shocks and I seriously doubt there is a special bilstein shock made just for the Rebel. For the small amount they cost its worth a try. I love the air suspension but the shocks suck.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don’t think anyone on here has done this, but a couple of us have discussed. FWIW, all aftermarket rear shocks say they will not work with factory rear suspension and they do. There is someone on this forum who disassembled their front air suspension and took lots of measurements and it appeared as if the Bilstein 5100 would be a direct fit. Replacement is similar to that of a coil sprung truck-they slide right into a sleeve inside the air bag. The Rebel has air suspension and bilstein shocks and I seriously doubt there is a special bilstein shock made just for the Rebel. For the small amount they cost its worth a try. I love the air suspension but the shocks suck.
Completely agree on no special shocks needed for the air suspension. I already put the bilstein 5100s on the rear and there's no negatives, and i have the 5100s for the front but haven't put them on yet. My main concern is how in depth it is top replace the front shock- how much disassembly is required, do the airbags have to be disconnected, etc.

El jefe, do you know which thread shows the front air bag suspension disassembly?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Completely agree on no special shocks needed for the air suspension. I already put the bilstein 5100s on the rear and there's no negatives, and i have the 5100s for the front but haven't put them on yet. My main concern is how in depth it is top replace the front shock- how much disassembly is required, do the airbags have to be disconnected, etc.

El jefe, do you know which thread shows the front air bag suspension disassembly?
Unfortunately you well need to bleed the air for the air bags to be able and disassmle them and that being said they were not designed to be removed from the shock assembly. But the system does have enough capacity to allow being drained once and can still function, ive tested that that by accident when I broke an air line. It is still possible but might be difficult to do.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Why the need for this upgrade?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why the need for this upgrade?
I had to replace the factory shocks on the rear because they were leaking, and I upgraded to the bilsteins. I'd like to have them all match.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately you well need to bleed the air for the air bags to be able and disassmle them and that being said they were not designed to be removed from the shock assembly. But the system does have enough capacity to allow being drained once and can still function, ive tested that that by accident when I broke an air line. It is still possible but might be difficult to do.
That's what I was thinking would be required. If I have to do that, my plan is to put the suspension in either entry/exit or transport mode to get as much nitrogen as possible out of the bags before disconnecting them to minimize losses.

Reactions: howie12

·
Registered
389 Posts
What would a dealer charge for the front shock replacement?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have had both sides of my front air suspension replaced at the RAM dealership where I bought my truck new. Long story short, Firestone Complete Autocare destroyed the air strut assemblies while trying to perform a front end alignment. Firestone’s insurance covered all the repairs and at my place of choice (after initially denying being responsible for the damage an independent claims adjuster sided with me). 6 weeks later I had a new front air suspension and CV axles. Grand total for parts, labor and an alignment was well over $5K. The air strut assemblies were $1750 each. RAM has the parts listed as a complete assembly with no serviceable parts.

Edit: I found some of the paperwork from the dealer service. It was actually $1742.25 each for the air struts w/1.25 hours labor per side.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think there's some confusion here. Each corner of the truck has the suspension shock assembly which raises and lowers the truck. The rear also has two standard type shock absorbers. There are no standard type shocks on the front as far as I know, just the air suspension units. My standard shocks on the rear were recalled probably 3 or four years ago.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think there's some confusion here. Each corner of the truck has the suspension shock assembly which raises and lowers the truck. The rear also has two standard type shock absorbers. There are no standard type shocks on the front as far as I know, just the air suspension units. My standard shocks on the rear were recalled probably 3 or four years ago.
There's definitely confusion here. Each corner has an air bag or coil spring that supports the weight of the truck, and a shock absorber or strut that minimizes the up/down cycles of that air bag or spring when the vehicle goes over bumps, dips, etc. The struts on the front are shocks that go through the air bags just like they would the coil springs on a truck without the air suspension, whereas the rear shocks are mounted independent of the air bags or springs. They do not raise or lower the vehicle, nor do they support it's weight on their own. If they did there would be no need for the air bags or springs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade the rear shocks on my 1500 with air suspension. Does any one know the difference between the Bilstein rear shocks included as factory equipment on the Rebel/ Off Road package and Bilstein 4600's listed as OEM replacements for trucks with coil suspension? Here's the part numbers and approximate pricing:

-RAM Rebel (w/ air) factory Bilstein's, Mopar p/# 68232278AC, $230ea
-Bilstein 4600 for coil suspension, 24-187350, $80ea (Bilstein says these shocks are not for trucks with air suspension)

I'd prefer the Bilstein 4600 due to cost savings but I also don't want to damage the air suspension. Any/ all advice or personal experience is appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade the rear shocks on my 1500 with air suspension. Does any one know the difference between the Bilstein rear shocks included as factory equipment on the Rebel/ Off Road package and Bilstein 4600's listed as OEM replacements for trucks with coil suspension? Here's the part numbers and approximate pricing:

-RAM Rebel (w/ air) factory Bilstein's, Mopar p/# 68232278AC, $230ea
-Bilstein 4600 for coil suspension, 24-187350, $80ea (Bilstein says these shocks are not for trucks with air suspension)

I'd prefer the Bilstein 4600 due to cost savings but I also don't want to damage the air suspension. Any/ all advice or personal experience is appreciated!
Just wondering if you ever found the answer to this question. I'm in need of replacing the rear shocks on my 2014 Ram 1500 with air suspension because they are leaking. Would like to use a cheaper solution if the factory shocks aren't necessary.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I installed the 4600's on the rear and the air suspension seems to be working normally. $70/each. on Amazon.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I installed the 4600's on the rear and the air suspension seems to be working normally. $70/each. on Amazon.

Were you able to compare the stock vs 4600 side by side? I'm curious if there is a difference at all in range of travel on the 4600. I have 4 corner air and new rear shocks purchase is in my near future.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have 200K mi. and I thought the truck was shaking more than it should. If I get the same results when I replace the front units as I did in the back I'll be happy.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Update: My air suspension disabled itself hauling this load of redwood two years ago

20170523_083954.jpg

Warning me that I exceeded 1400# payload.

I've since installed the 4600's I loaded eucalyptus recently and the ride was firmer with no dashboard warning.

Did I increase my payload with the shock upgrade?

I'll scale my next load and post some numbers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts