RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,990 Posts
Update: My air suspension disabled itself hauling this load of redwood two years ago

View attachment 82592

Warning me that I exceeded 1400# payload.

I've since installed the 4600's I loaded eucalyptus recently and the ride was firmer with no dashboard warning.

Did I increase my payload with the shock upgrade?

I'll scale my next load and post some numbers.
Shocks dont support the weight just help control movement. My guess would be the redwood was fresh and wet vs the eucalyptus was dry and seasoned.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Just installed the Arnett aftermarket front struts/ air suspension combo.
Feels a little like the truck was lifted and it won't go into off road 2 anymore, I get a max payload warning with an empty truck.
The ride is great and still goes into aero mode at freeway speeds. I'm happy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Not sure why anyone would want to keep the air ride after the OEM system fails. Replace the entire system with a FOX 2.0 or 2.5 series conventional suspension and your done. No more issues ever ??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Because air ride is awesome when working correctly, and with some tools and knowledge of the system theres no need to replace with an overpriced off road suspension system. Unless of course you want to! But for the everyday truck that just needs to function as it does when its new, being able to replace the shocks and perform your own Nitrogen purge and recharge are handy tools to have in the belt.

Just finished taking apart a spare set of OEM air ride bags/shocks to see if or what can be changed out. turns out with a bit of work the factory shock can be removed from the air bag portion of the strut. The body diameter of the shock is just shy of 51mm. I am going to see if the Bilstein 5100's can fit and hold a seal with the strut bellows. This is just an experiment. It isn't critical to have this solved, I just enjoy the process of finding options for this system. But if it does work, it should be a significant improvement from the Ol' Hitachi's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Because air ride is awesome when working correctly, and with some tools and knowledge of the system theres no need to replace with an overpriced off road suspension system. Unless of course you want to! But for the everyday truck that just needs to function as it does when its new, being able to replace the shocks and perform your own Nitrogen purge and recharge are handy tools to have in the belt.

Just finished taking apart a spare set of OEM air ride bags/shocks to see if or what can be changed out. turns out with a bit of work the factory shock can be removed from the air bag portion of the strut. The body diameter of the shock is just shy of 51mm. I am going to see if the Bilstein 5100's can fit and hold a seal with the strut bellows. This is just an experiment. It isn't critical to have this solved, I just enjoy the process of finding options for this system. But if it does work, it should be a significant improvement from the Ol' Hitachi's.
So, did they fit?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an update for Y'all, My Bilstein 5100 front shocks came in and i'll eventually be working on the fit for the air bags. so far as i can see, the shock body is a touch smaller than the factory shock. The shock body tappers wider at the point where the air bag seats and seals, whereas the bilstein does not. Considering it seems to be a tight fit for sealing purposes with the factory shock, I'll be looking at shimming possibly with aluminum can thicknesses. More to come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just an update for Y'all, My Bilstein 5100 front shocks came in and i'll eventually be working on the fit for the air bags. so far as i can see, the shock body is a touch smaller than the factory shock. The shock body tappers wider at the point where the air bag seats and seals, whereas the bilstein does not. Considering it seems to be a tight fit for sealing purposes with the factory shock, I'll be looking at shimming possibly with aluminum can thicknesses. More to come.
Joined forum to follow this as I will also be giving this a shot over the next week roughly. Will also share how it goes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys. Plan is to work on this and test it when I am home in a couple weeks. Other projects have come up and haven't gotten further than testing working pressures out of the vehicle. Even though it airs up and holds against working pressures I have had some time to think about it and it's worth making it as strong as possible. I am going to have the Bilstein sliders machined down or customs ones made for a solid platform for the airbag collar to seal and support against.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey guys. Plan is to work on this and test it when I am home in a couple weeks. Other projects have come up and haven't gotten further than testing working pressures out of the vehicle. Even though it airs up and holds against working pressures I have had some time to think about it and it's worth making it as strong as possible. I am going to have the Bilstein sliders machined down or customs ones made for a solid platform for the airbag collar to seal and support against.
Jaymo, if you successfully adapt the Bilstein to the OEM front air spring, you are officially on my Christmas list!!!! I've been wanting to do the same thing for several months, but could not find the replacement Hitachi strut cartridge without buying the entire air spring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I replaced my 15 Limited front air suspension units with the Arnott AS-3017s and it was pretty straight forward after reviewing online videos and the Arnott installation videos. Really nice units that I paid $760 per side for vs the $1800 per side quoted at the stealership; total tally at the dealer with an alignment would run north of $4400!

So now that the install is done, the bed of the truck is empty, I decided to run through the settings once I got home and guess what, no Off-road 2. I do have the “Selected Ride Height Not Pernitted Due to Payload”. Again this is an empty truck? So I had the ability to go to entry/exit, Normal and Off road 1. But after 3 cycles of those settings the truck will now only stay in Normal; which is good I guses and will allow me to drive to the dealer for analysis.

Here’s the highlights of what I did and have tried subsequently:
Before I started, I set the truck to Normal ride height, selected in the suspension menu; Jack Mode, Disabled Aero mode, disconnected battery and went to work swapping out the units. A bit of nitrogen/air escaped on each side during the swap.
Afterwards (4 hrs), I reconnected the battery, started the truck, waited 2 minutes before De-selecting Jack mode and the front began to raise to the Normal ride height level. During the drive home, I enjoyed the nearly new truck like ride for the 15 miles and once home went through the settings and that’s when the messages began.

Here’s what I have tried;
1) Held the up and down buttons simutaneously for 45 seconds to try to get the system to reset itself- nothing.
2) Disconnected the battery for 30 minutes - nothing
3) Checked the fuse F5- good fuse.
4) Confirmed that I can lower the truck to entry / exit only by selecting the transport mode in the suspension menu.
5) Confirmed that I can raise the truck to Normal only by using the alignment mode in the suspension menu.

The buttons do nothing. I suspect that I may have lost too much nitrogen during the swap as I can’t understand why I’d get this message on an empty truck.

Any solutions to my problem would be appreciated greatly.
Thanks
John
Spokane, WA

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
196 Posts
I suspect that you lost too much nitrogen may be a small part of the problem.

Some ideas:

To get to the root of the issue why did you replace them? Were they leaking?

If they were leaking you still need to do a full purge and fill, there is also a chance (50/50) the the valve block may be shot.

If they were leaking, your system intakes in a lot of moisture rich make up air over an extended time frame. AIf the moisture (more likely fluid water) is still in there you will have some wierd problems like the ones you are describing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I changed them out because they had 73k on the shocks and the ride had become harsh and pounding. The Arnott units took care of that and still running 39 psi all around in the tires. This is the first time I have had any messages at all regarding the suspension in 7 years. There were no issues, leaks whatsoever prior to the swap over. I had to replace the rear shocks at 51k due to a blown shock after my wife made a trip to Chicago and I didn’t want the two ends to get any further apart on mileage.
I don’t believe this is any sort of hardware issue but software. I have an appointment to take the truck into the dealer on the 7th for a system reset/recalibration to try and sort this out.
Still perplexed…

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am picking up some used air struts in hopes to do what you’re doing. But I will try to find a shock that will be easier/or be able to make a spacer to fill in the gap. How do I remove the shock from the assembly?

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you lose too much nitrogen, you can refill with compressed air. I did it in Mar'21

21 - 40 of 58 Posts