RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

bought my 1500 about 4mo ago from another user on the forum. Moved cross country(2800mi trip), and now my air suspension lowers the driver front corner overnight. As soon as I start it, it levels out but it has me worried I'm up for an expensive fix. Could low battery be the issue?(only thing I can find in a search)

Thanks for the input guys
-Miles

-2015 1500 Ecodiesel Laramie
-2007 Porsche 911

·
Registered
459 Posts
do you have enter exit mode turned on in the options? when you shut it off it drops the nose down if you do.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
With it being just one corner, and lowers while parked overnight, I'm guessing a bag leak on that corner. Could be a leak leading to the bag.

Pull the wheel, make sure that corner is at right height, and go over the entire system with a spray bottle of soapy water to look for the leak.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys.

I'll give it a once over this weekend. If it is a leak hopefully it's nothing major to fix!

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Sounds like my truck to an extent...

If I leave truck in normal height and park it, the rear passenger side drops to the bump-stop. It inflates up no problem on startup when it's above zero. Mine doesn't drop in OR1 or OR2 though.

I'm thinking my problem is the solenoid box, as a leaky line or bag should deflate at all settings.

I'd suggest you do further testing of your truck. See if it drops at all heights or only the normal height, like mine.

2 years ago I had the solenoid and entire compressor replaced and it worked fine until middle of last winter, when the current behavior started. Crappy part is mine would fail to keep back at normal height while driving when below zero, only on one corner, which made for a miserable 60 mile commute.

I'm going to get my truck in for the recall, then when I get my settlement money, will have them repair the suspension again. This time I'll insist that they put in some air line antifreeze when they fill the system back up with nitrogen.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorny,

My driver front drops in all modes, but pumps up as soon as the truck is turned on(looks embarrassing in offroad 2). I did notice I get a "battery low" warning after about a day if I try to use the remote for entry/exit,so that at least tells me the pump doesnt run when the truck has been off for a bit. Hoping I dont need a new compressor or something major... hopefully just an easy-to-replace line or something if there is a leak.

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

·
Registered
458 Posts
Is your driveway level? Mine is not, and my first thought was the auto-leveling, which tends to work on it's own minutes after shutdown, or at random times when parked on surfaces that are not level. More than once I've been in the driveway having a cigar, HOURS after the truck was shut down and have witnessed the thing engage the compressor, drop the front and raise the rear. If I park with the passenger side tires off the side of the driveway, the truck will eventually raise that side to compensate with the driver side being slightly higher on the concrete.

Next startup, same thing, front raises, rear lowers and off I go. Chalked it up to it being a "feature" since new.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Hello,

bought my 1500 about 4mo ago from another user on the forum. Moved cross country(2800mi trip), and now my air suspension lowers the driver front corner overnight. As soon as I start it, it levels out but it has me worried I'm up for an expensive fix. Could low battery be the issue?(only thing I can find in a search)

Thanks for the input guys
-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911
a couple comments. Put a high quality battery charger designed for AGM batteries for a 24 hour period and let the battery get as charged up as it will. Your battery may be on its way out. You can also check the battery voltage after the truck has sat overnight. Perhaps one of our gurus with a book knows the voltage that triggers the low battery notice. My Pacifica and my Truck both have their original Mopar AGM battery and they show 12.6-12.7 volts when fully charged after sitting overhight with no load except whatever parasitic load there is.

Regarding the air suspension I doubt it is leaking to atmosphere. IF it is it will eventually use up the nitrogen in the closed system and then it will not raise. I think SOrny has a good point about it likely being in the solenoid box with a small leak there. It is possible that the low battery voltage prevents the truck from making the normal adjustments they always make periodically when sitting. Even after mine has been parked for days I often hear the compressor run for a short period to relevel things. Especially if I take weight out or add weight to the truck. I don't understand the details of the suspension system well enough to know what happens if there is an internal leak and all four air springs settle to the same pressure. It is completely possible that the geometry of the suspension and the diameters of the air springs results in a different height for one or two wheels when the pressure is equalized to all 4. We all may have some small internal leaks that the system self levels periodically when the battery has enough voltage/capacity to allow that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All right,
Sprayed the airbag and all the lines near it, no visible or audible leaks, will put a battery tender on it (I assume my battery is getting close to being done, almost 5 years old).

My driveway has a slight grade up - front sits higher than the rear but is pretty level left to right. I'll back in next time I park and see if I have the same issue as well.
-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Battery tender showed 11v when I put it on, once it got to ~12.5 it auto-leveled. Got a new battery and it wont autolevel with the truck off, even tho its at 12.8v. Anyone ever changed out the solenoid/box ?

Definitely would like to tackle it myself just to get more info on the system out there.

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Milo,

There are some good details on this site and some diagrams but I don't have the time to search for them. One point I will make is we all often use the term air suspension. It is a closed nitrogen system. If the system is opened up it needs to be refilled with nitrogen and may need to be vacuum pumped out, I am not sure. My point is it isn't trivial and needs to be done properly or you risk getting moisture in the system and it can tehn freeze up in the cold weather.

Someone with more specific knowledge might post and help you out.

ANother thought is make sure your truck isn't set for one of the odball settings like jack or alignment or whatever they are. It strikes me as possible they may not allow leveling when the key is off but would when it is on and running.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Oddball air suspension settings don't "stick". They stay active until the truck is started and moved.

It is nitrogen, and while any joe blow could swap the solenoid, you're going to need witech to purge/fill the system because you're going to lose all your nitrogen when you pull solenoid box out.

Reactions: TwoBobs

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Interesting revelation- I used the touchscreen to put it in tire Jack mode(it said "turns air suspension off") at work today, no lowering of any corner. Makes me wonder if I just have a bad sensor or two?

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, after about a week of keeping it in tire Jack mode when I park, it now drops that corner again... are there any decent independent shops that can take a look?(I'm in SoCal) I dont want to go near a dealer for fear of losing my GDE tune now.

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, after about a week of keeping it in tire Jack mode when I park, it now drops that corner again... are there any decent independent shops that can take a look?(I'm in SoCal) I dont want to go near a dealer for fear of losing my GDE tune now.

-Miles

-2007 Porsche 911
Did they ever figure out what was causing the dropping I'm getting the same problem, but it seems to be the drivers rear, dealer wants to charge me 1100 dollars to put in a new airbag ? any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had the same issue. My fix was to buy the MX+ OBD2 connector and buy the AlfaOBD software. I now control everything on the truck my incompetent dealer cannot. If your near the Rockford il area your more than welcome to stop by and i can help you out. If not, just buy the above mentioned and i can walk you through leveling out your air ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts