RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
156 Posts
With it being just one corner, and lowers while parked overnight, I'm guessing a bag leak on that corner. Could be a leak leading to the bag.

Pull the wheel, make sure that corner is at right height, and go over the entire system with a spray bottle of soapy water to look for the leak.
Bounty hunter is bang on with the leak issue - now to find it!

You need to spray the fittings of the tubing at both ends. The other issue it is pin hole leak in the air bladder it self very difficult to detect with out a pressure check.

Hopefully you find the leak at a fitting - easier and cheaper fix.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
156 Posts
Sounds like my truck to an extent...

If I leave truck in normal height and park it, the rear passenger side drops to the bump-stop. It inflates up no problem on startup when it's above zero. Mine doesn't drop in OR1 or OR2 though.

I'm thinking my problem is the solenoid box, as a leaky line or bag should deflate at all settings.

I'd suggest you do further testing of your truck. See if it drops at all heights or only the normal height, like mine.

2 years ago I had the solenoid and entire compressor replaced and it worked fine until middle of last winter, when the current behavior started. Crappy part is mine would fail to keep back at normal height while driving when below zero, only on one corner, which made for a miserable 60 mile commute.

I'm going to get my truck in for the recall, then when I get my settlement money, will have them repair the suspension again. This time I'll insist that they put in some air line antifreeze when they fill the system back up with nitrogen.
You also have a small leak in one of your air bags. The fact that you are not leaking at level one or 2 pretty much confirms it.

The air bladder in a spring folds over itself. It is along these folds that small cracks occur due to age or manufacturing defect (or both.). When you lift the truck you change the position of the fold and the rubber seals itself “temporarily.”

The leak can be found with a pressure check - isolate the spring and pressure it up to different heights. A timed test of an hour or so will show the pressure gauge going down. This is not a diagnostic approach that is in the online FCA Tech Authority manual but a something that any plumber, refrigeration, or pneumatic tech knows.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
156 Posts
a couple comments. Put a high quality battery charger designed for AGM batteries for a 24 hour period and let the battery get as charged up as it will. Your battery may be on its way out. You can also check the battery voltage after the truck has sat overnight. Perhaps one of our gurus with a book knows the voltage that triggers the low battery notice. My Pacifica and my Truck both have their original Mopar AGM battery and they show 12.6-12.7 volts when fully charged after sitting overhight with no load except whatever parasitic load there is.

Regarding the air suspension I doubt it is leaking to atmosphere. IF it is it will eventually use up the nitrogen in the closed system and then it will not raise. I think SOrny has a good point about it likely being in the solenoid box with a small leak there. It is possible that the low battery voltage prevents the truck from making the normal adjustments they always make periodically when sitting. Even after mine has been parked for days I often hear the compressor run for a short period to relevel things. Especially if I take weight out or add weight to the truck. I don't understand the details of the suspension system well enough to know what happens if there is an internal leak and all four air springs settle to the same pressure. It is completely possible that the geometry of the suspension and the diameters of the air springs results in a different height for one or two wheels when the pressure is equalized to all 4. We all may have some small internal leaks that the system self levels periodically when the battery has enough voltage/capacity to allow that.
A correction - “ it is a closed system.” However, as it starts to leak the compressor will actually draw in outside air along with the moisture. It is designed this way to keep the system functional to accommodate the small leaks. The problem is that once it starts to do that the moisture creates freezing issue in northern climates and eventually water lock problems in southern climate (unless you live in Death Valley - near zero humidity).

Many of the burned out compressors and on going issues are the result of micro leaks that are not detected and fixed.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 Ecodiesel
156 Posts
what was the issue mines doing exactly the same thing. its good in or1 and or2 but as soon as its in normal ride height i can hear air escaping from the vent tube
It is equalizing pressure because the compressor drew in atmosphere to get it to level 1/2 - a bit more than is needed. When you dropped it to normal it balances out the system mass to something in the right range.

When you purge and fill the system with dry nitrogen it does the same thing - it vents away the excess and then the system is closed (unless of course it is leaking)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts