RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner

61 - 65 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you know of an easy way to introduce the antifreeze into the system?
It is a pressurized system and you will need an R134A fitting, regulator and assorted pressure fittings and connectors along with a bottle of high pressure nitrogen gas. After you depressurize the system, introduce an ounce or two of brakeline antifreeze into the reservoir and then repressurize to 175 psi with clean dry nitrogen.

I guess the answer is there is no “very easy” way without some tools and equipment. The pressure fittings and the nitrogen gas bottle from a welding gas supplier are a modest cost, BUT you need to know your way around this type of equipment.

Words of caution:

Heavy truck airline brake systems have a way to drain the methanol once it has scavenged as much moisture and water vapour as it can hold. The RAM pressure reservoir consists of two relatively shallow bottles laying across the frame rails. There is no direct way to drain any water saturated brake line antifreeze trapped in the system - and no place to tap and thread a fitting to put a drain in. Also, to access and remove the reservoir bottles you need to lift the truck bed.

There is also a small risk of a liquid entering your compressor, which is why you need to “Limit” the amount added.

Use only brake line antifreeze, since it has additives to minimize the corrosive effects of the methanol on certain types of plastics and rubber. The majority of the RAM air ride system short of the stainless steel pressure reservoir bottles is made of a variety of plastic, rubber and related compounds including the valve body o-rings.

·
Registered
229 Posts
On Commercial trucks we made a resevoir out of a piece of pipe that would hold half a quart hooked it in line and let compressed air push it through into the system. I'm guessing you wouldn't need much on such a small system something like 1/2 to an ounce would probably do it, likely the end of all your problems. Also I would just pull a plug on an air resevoir and pour the antifreeze into the resevoir with a funnel, it will lay in the bottom and release vapour for a long time unless somebody drains it. Maybe there is a plug in one of the resvoirs.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Do you know of an easy way to introduce the antifreeze into the system?
This fellow found a way to introduce Air Brake antifreeze, I don't know the system and can't find a schematic, in theory if it is a closed system I don't think this should work unless you have a leak some where. It is the vapor from the antifreeze that doe the work not the liquid so it can lay any where like the bottom of a resevoir.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This fellow found a way to introduce Air Brake antifreeze, I don't know the system and can't find a schematic, in theory if it is a closed system I don't think this should work unless you have a leak some where. It is the vapor from the antifreeze that doe the work not the liquid so it can lay any where like the bottom of a resevoir.
That is pretty cool!

It relies on the system to draw in the make up air (and antifreeze) though that intake hose. Not sure when the air ride system control under the drivers seat actually commands the compressor to draw in makeup air but when it does any antifreeze present will be sucked in and can go to work.

I am pretty sure that guy’s airride has a leak but doing this will have kept him going for several months.

I injected mine via the R134 intake port and it got me through from late Oct to March 2020. That was the point that the leaks opened up so much that I needed two new rear air springs and solved the problem for good. In late March the compressor was constantly overheating and shutting down trying to keep off everything of the bump stops. I also did the pull 3 fuses trick to lock in the ride height at 1 or 2, which let me run around for a few days before replacing the fuses to repressure the system and springs. It got to the point where I left tiny plastic jar and pair of needle nose pliers in a ziplock bag in the fuse box.

The interesting thing is that although all 4 corners dropped only one rear spring had a leak. I replaced both of them as a pair however.

61 - 65 of 65 Posts