RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to see at what limits the air suspension would go into protection mode and how that acted. To test that, I filled containers of water of known sizes in the bed. Given that water weighs 8.33 lbs/gal it was easy to calculate the load.

The truck is a Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 that weighs 5950 with full tanks but no people or gear, so the rated payload is 1000 (the weight label says 1020). Your truck may be different.

The air suspension worked in all modes up to about 1600 at which point it would not raise to off-road mode. The message displayed was, "Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload."

At about 1850 it would not work in any mode. At 2100 the compressor was cycling on frequently even though the air suspension was not working. I assume the compressor will shut down if it starts to overheat.

Not as good as I had hoped, especially the roughly 1600 limit, but not as bad as it might have been.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Bigfoot,

Can you comment on how you distributed the load in the bed and which bed length you have? btw, you have great taste in color choice!:)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wanted to see at what limits the air suspension would go into protection mode and how that acted. To test that, I filled containers of water of known sizes in the bed. Given that water weighs 8.33 lbs/gal it was easy to calculate the load.

The truck is a Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 that weighs 5950 with full tanks but no people or gear, so the rated payload is 1000 (the weight label says 1020). Your truck may be different.

The air suspension worked in all modes up to about 1600 at which point it would not raise to off-road mode. The message displayed was, "Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload."

At about 1850 it would not work in any mode. At 2100 the compressor was cycling on frequently even though the air suspension was not working. I assume the compressor will shut down if it starts to overheat.

Not as good as I had hoped, especially the roughly 1600 limit, but not as bad as it might have been.
For the past month I have been hauling 200 gallons of water daily to the livestock. The weight of the tank is 105 lbs. Add another 100 lbs. for a couple of dogs in the back seat and another 100 lbs for my crap in the 5'7" bed and we are a little over 1900 lbs for a short period per day on the farm. My water tank fills most of the back of the 5'7" box with only 3" of spare space in the back of the bed and 4" of space between the wheel wells. I fill those gaps with 2" High Density (60 PSI) blue foam board which keeps the tank from shifting around.

I have not tried changing the ride height while I am loaded up like that. I will give it a go and see if I have the same results as Big Foot.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Pickup truck

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for the post I've wondered that same thing and I found on another forum where 2000lb seemed to be the limit of the suspension to level before entering protection mode. I plan to add aftermarket Air Lift bags to mine which are supposed to give an additional 1000lb of load capacity when fully inflated. If that would also put the limit at about 2k.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bigfoot,

Can you comment on how you distributed the load in the bed and which bed length you have? btw, you have great taste in color choice!:)
It has a 6'4" box. The weight was over or forward of the rear axle except that the heaviest load included 15 gal (125+ lb) to the rear.

You can thank my wife for the color. ;)

·
Registered
613 Posts
"Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload."

Got the same system message today as Bigfoot when I tried to raise the truck under full load with the air suspension.

I believe I was closer to 2000 lbs. as I added a few things for the test.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Thanks for the post I've wondered that same thing and I found on another forum where 2000lb seemed to be the limit of the suspension to level before entering protection mode. I plan to add aftermarket Air Lift bags to mine which are supposed to give an additional 1000lb of load capacity when fully inflated. If that would also put the limit at about 2k.
We're talking about trucks equipped with the factory air suspension. You cannot add airbags to this system. It already IS four airbags. ;)

And experimenting is fine, but you guys do remember these are "half ton" trucks, right? The kinds of weights being managed here could cause harm to other components in the suspension, etc., nag, blah...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're talking about trucks equipped with the factory air suspension. You cannot add airbags to this system. It already IS four airbags. ;)

And experimenting is fine, but you guys do remember these are "half ton" trucks, right? The kinds of weights being managed here could cause harm to other components in the suspension, etc., nag, blah...
Yes, mother. :p

We know the stock components are good to at least 1900 lbs payload because some versions--basic standard cab, 8-ft box, Pentastar--have that rating. Of course, the problem is taking a high-end model with 900 lbs of options and a 1000-lb payload and trying to add another 1000 lbs to that. In my case the factory air suspension starts to complain at about 600 lbs over rated payload in a static condition, and it quits completely at about 850 lbs over. I can't say what driving long-term at, say, 500 lbs over would do to other components. We will not know the actual limit until someone tries it and breaks something.

I think the standard coil suspension is more open to upgrades and could be fitted to carry 1000 lbs over-capacity without too much sweat. I'm sure some people are already doing mods such as LT tires, airbags, better shocks, beefier sway bars, etc.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Yes, mother. :p

We know the stock components are good to at least 1900 lbs payload because some versions--basic standard cab, 8-ft box, Pentastar--have that rating. Of course, the problem is taking a high-end model with 900 lbs of options and a 1000-lb payload and trying to add another 1000 lbs to that. In my case the factory air suspension starts to complain at about 600 lbs over rated payload in a static condition, and it quits completely at about 850 lbs over. I can't say what driving long-term at, say, 500 lbs over would do to other components. We will not know the actual limit until someone tries it and breaks something.

I think the standard coil suspension is more open to upgrades and could be fitted to carry 1000 lbs over-capacity without too much sweat. I'm sure some people are already doing mods such as LT tires, airbags, better shocks, beefier sway bars, etc.
You crazy kids with your wild ideas! I swear!

I'm sure it'll all be fine...if you just STAY OFF MY LAWN!!! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello,

After the truck goes into protection mode, is there any way to get it out of protection mode or does the dealer have to do that?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hello,

After the truck goes into protection mode, is there any way to get it out of protection mode or does the dealer have to do that?
Those trucks equipped with the air suspension will go into protection mode (inability to raise or lower the body of the truck with the built in system) when the trucks sensors detect to much weight in relation to its payload rating.

To get it out of protection mode. You need to off load some of the mass that is causing the trucks payload to be over it is limit.

In my case, it was water, that I stored in a tank. Once I was able to get the pay load down to about 1600 lbs, my truck will operate as normal. Anything over, and I can not raise or lower it with the built in system. But everything else operates as normal on the truck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thank you for the info. I'm thinking I require a trip to the dealer, my truck has gone into protection mode- the bed is now completely empty and it still won't lower or raise.

Hello,

Those trucks equipped with the air suspension will go into protection mode (inability to raise or lower the body of the truck with the built in system) when the trucks sensors detect to much weight in relation to its payload rating.

To get it out of protection mode. You need to off load some of the mass that is causing the trucks payload to be over it is limit.

In my case, it was water, that I stored in a tank. Once I was able to get the pay load down to about 1600 lbs, my truck will operate as normal. Anything over, and I can not raise or lower it with the built in system. But everything else operates as normal on the truck.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you off loaded the weight and the truck is still in protection mode and will not operate as normal I am not sure what is up. Perhaps a blown fuse? What happens when you try to raise or lower the truck. Do you get a message on the display? Do the lights blink on the up/down buttons indicating that it is at least trying to move up and or down?

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you off loaded the weight and the truck is still in protection mode and will not operate as normal I am not sure what is up. Perhaps a blown fuse? What happens when you try to raise or lower the truck. Do you get a message on the display? Do the lights blink on the up/down buttons indicating that it is at least trying to move up and or down?
When I try to raise or lower the truck it says "Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload." None of the lights blink on the up/down buttons. It does not indicate that is trying to lower/raise the truck in anyway.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have well exceeded the 2k on my factory air suspension, and my 6'4 cc longhorn has payload rating of like 811# in the door.

It all depends how it's loaded. Try loading your back seats before putting all the weight in the bed, and front of the bed as much as possible before the rear axle. It can take more.

Also each ride setting functions at different payload, offroad 2 shuts down, then offroad and entry, basically limiting unnecessary movements. But Aero still functions on the highway. After about 3k or some substantial tongue weight where the dummy light comes on the evic then it halts the suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
My tongue weight is 1,000 on TT. Sometimes I get the message , sometime not?
Running equalitzer 4 way anti sway weight .

1 - 20 of 28 Posts