RAM 1500 Diesel Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wanted to see at what limits the air suspension would go into protection mode and how that acted. To test that, I filled containers of water of known sizes in the bed. Given that water weighs 8.33 lbs/gal it was easy to calculate the load.

The truck is a Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 that weighs 5950 with full tanks but no people or gear, so the rated payload is 1000 (the weight label says 1020). Your truck may be different.

The air suspension worked in all modes up to about 1600 at which point it would not raise to off-road mode. The message displayed was, "Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload."

At about 1850 it would not work in any mode. At 2100 the compressor was cycling on frequently even though the air suspension was not working. I assume the compressor will shut down if it starts to overheat.

Not as good as I had hoped, especially the roughly 1600 limit, but not as bad as it might have been.
For the past month I have been hauling 200 gallons of water daily to the livestock. The weight of the tank is 105 lbs. Add another 100 lbs. for a couple of dogs in the back seat and another 100 lbs for my crap in the 5'7" bed and we are a little over 1900 lbs for a short period per day on the farm. My water tank fills most of the back of the 5'7" box with only 3" of spare space in the back of the bed and 4" of space between the wheel wells. I fill those gaps with 2" High Density (60 PSI) blue foam board which keeps the tank from shifting around.

I have not tried changing the ride height while I am loaded up like that. I will give it a go and see if I have the same results as Big Foot.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Pickup truck

·
Registered
613 Posts
"Selected Ride Height Not Permitted Due to Payload."

Got the same system message today as Bigfoot when I tried to raise the truck under full load with the air suspension.

I believe I was closer to 2000 lbs. as I added a few things for the test.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hello,

After the truck goes into protection mode, is there any way to get it out of protection mode or does the dealer have to do that?
Those trucks equipped with the air suspension will go into protection mode (inability to raise or lower the body of the truck with the built in system) when the trucks sensors detect to much weight in relation to its payload rating.

To get it out of protection mode. You need to off load some of the mass that is causing the trucks payload to be over it is limit.

In my case, it was water, that I stored in a tank. Once I was able to get the pay load down to about 1600 lbs, my truck will operate as normal. Anything over, and I can not raise or lower it with the built in system. But everything else operates as normal on the truck.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you off loaded the weight and the truck is still in protection mode and will not operate as normal I am not sure what is up. Perhaps a blown fuse? What happens when you try to raise or lower the truck. Do you get a message on the display? Do the lights blink on the up/down buttons indicating that it is at least trying to move up and or down?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.